PDA

View Full Version : HD->Film

colintheys
04-03-2005, 09:48 PM
I'm DPing a low-budget student film this semester for a group that I have edited for in the past. Generaly, we've finished to video, but I think the feeling is that that's a bit of a waste since we're shooting on 16. There's talk of trying to get the negative cut, but that's godawful expensive and we don't have access to a 16 editing system, so we'd have to pay for telecine ayway.

I'm curious about looking into shooting super 16, getting telecine to HD 720p, editing, and then (maybe) getting it burned back to film. I know everything but the final step is feasible and affordable, but I don't know much about the last bit. Does anyone know what issues are involved with transferring HD to film and about how much it should cost? I don't want to get ripped off cause I don't know what I'm doing. The film's about ten minutes long (we hope.)

Thanks,
-Colin

digikris
04-05-2005, 02:21 PM
I think you will be better off just shooting in super16mm with Kodak 400 tungeston as it is good for both day and night shooting with gels. Getting converted from film - HD -film should be an expensive process i.e. HD- film. I don't know what film you're going to blow it up into. Is it 35mm? Then it would be expensive the money you saved in the first phase will be spent in second phase.

colintheys
04-05-2005, 02:41 PM
Hi,

We are going to be shooting on Kodak 500T. They don't make a 400 anymore. :shrug: Are you saying you think it would be cheaper to get the negative cut than to go through HD? If so then i suppose we're going to finish on video (or HD directly...) because our producer gave a multi-thousand dollar estimate for a negative cutter, which is out of our price range for the post side of things.

Thanks,
-Colin

tmcbroome
04-17-2005, 02:28 PM
Hi,

I was wondering what you solution ended up being? In most of my research that I have done it seems like 16 - HD - DVD/Film would be your most effiecient. Going HD would allow you to move alot of Post In-house I would think.

Anyway, just interested in how it worked out.

colintheys
04-17-2005, 04:20 PM
Well, we were planning to just edit digital, export a shot list, and get the negative cut, bypassing HD alltogether. However, we got our budget cut midway through, too late to do HD, and now we're finishing on DV, which is very very depressing, but unfortunately our only remaining option. Oh well. :( I'm still very interested in HD telecine and intend to look into it for my next film. I'm rendering my current animation at 1080p and will look into HD to film transfer again for that when I'm done since there are no area theaters that can project HD. Sorry I don't have any more helpful info for oyu. :(

tmcbroome
04-17-2005, 11:18 PM
Well, thanks for the update. Sorry to hear about your budget cut. Let us know how it goes with your animation when you go to film out. HD to film sure seems to hold alot of promise.

CGTalk Moderation
04-17-2005, 11:18 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.