PDA

View Full Version : Linux: The ReiserFS File System

argyre
04-03-2005, 09:47 PM
Does anyone have the ReiserFS Fils System on there Linux System? And if so, how does it treat you?

Supposedly it is better than ext2/ext3 - and comparable to SGi's XFS or IBM's JFS.

For those who don't know about ReiserFS:

http://www.namesys.com/

It does things faster and better with applications/files and recovering files in the event of a crash or power outage.

beaker
04-03-2005, 11:24 PM
Yup, I use Reiser on all my linux builds.

Reiser - really good at handling lots of small files
XFS - really good at handling lots of big files

Vertizor
04-04-2005, 04:59 AM
It does things faster and better with applications/files and recovering files in the event of a crash or power outage.
Actually no. I hear more horror stories about ReiserFS, whereas ext3 although slower it's still more stable and reliable than Reiser.

But like most things in the Linux world there will always be people from either camps arguing back and forth about which is better.

lots
04-04-2005, 11:31 AM
Used both.. and well i dont notice much performance difference.. so i just stick to ext3 since its older and more mature.

Then again I dont do much harddrive intensive work in linux :)

iC4
04-04-2005, 11:49 AM
At the moment I'm using XFS - but to be honest I don't notice any difference to ext3 ;)

UrbanFuturistic
04-04-2005, 12:15 PM
Well, Reiser will provide a small performance increase if there aren't other bottlenecks holding your system back but it's pretty hard to tell; the main benefit is when you manage to crash your system (ohh, bleeding edge, how I ditched you) and the journal recovery takes a matter of seconds rather than minutes. Of course, I'm still using ext3 because I need to be able to backup using Norton Ghost.

regards, Paul

beaker
04-04-2005, 03:35 PM
ghost reads reiser 3 just fine.

Sieb
04-04-2005, 04:11 PM
I use ext3 on my servers for stability and reiser on my fedora loads for speed with lots of small files. I used XFS a while back with RH8, but you don't really see the advantage of it unless you are using very large files, or are managing very large amounts of storage (its upper limit is over 9 Exabytes), has good volume management too.

argyre
04-04-2005, 11:17 PM
Thanks very much for all your input. Now if i can just move all my p0r.. i meant mp3z to another drive....

beaker
04-05-2005, 02:58 PM
In compositing with hundreds of thousands of 12 meg cineon files I have seen huge speed difference with both xfs and reiser over ext3. Also big speed improvents with with striped disks(raid 1, raid 5).

KayosIII
04-06-2005, 10:38 AM
This is my general understanding....

Ext2 ) Can be fastest for some operations (less overhead) non journaling so absolutely hideous check. Projects like Ardour recomends you use this for your temp /tmp directory

Ext3 ) safe choice - most comprihensive Journaling available. Nothing special in terms of performance.

XFS ) Developed by SGI specifically for multimedia - Faster at dealing with very large files. XFS also supports extended attributes which could be used for some interesting applications.

ReiserFS ) Big performance improvement when dealing with lots of small files. Mostly stable but with a few crevates - last time I checked currupts with some 64bit Systems. more prone to corruption than other file systems with things like sudden power outages.
Fortunately it is usually possible to rebuild the file system from a rescue CD and not actually lose anything.
Redhat and ReiserFS have not always played together really well.

Reiser4 ) this is a from scratch rewrite rather than being based on Reiserfs3. It has excellent performance (2-4 times ntfs is often quoted). It does not use blocks or Inodes so files use their actual size not the closest 4k or what ever. It also has a plugin architecture which allows features like extended attributes and security features like encryption to be implemented by third parties. Currently you need to patch your kernel in order to use Reiser4.

I am using a combination of reiser3 and reiser4 partitions. I will go all Reiser4 when I have a rescuecd that supports reiser4 :)

CGTalk Moderation
04-06-2005, 10:38 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.