PDA

View Full Version : need some tips?

shiftyuk
04-03-2005, 06:54 PM
This is a drawing i done Recently on PS7

http://www.deviantart.com/view/16788686/

As you can see it looks quite bad, theres no details, no texture and everything looks scribbly!

Can someone please help me or give me tips on how to overcome this problem. Could someone tell me how to improve on my pictures and how to get a better finish on my picture.

Thanks in advance!

shiftyuk
04-04-2005, 02:39 PM
Is this the wrong section? Should i have put it into another section?

ant...
04-04-2005, 03:40 PM
Did you use a mouse?, if yes then I recomend upgrading to a Wacom Pad - Intuos 3, A4 size or better the Intuos 2, A3 size. :cry: No Intuos 3, A3 size yet...

This enables you to draw with a pen, the same as you do on paper. They are expensive but they do last a long time. My recomendation is to get a Pad which is the same size as your monitor so you get one to one aspect drawing, this makes the pad easier to learn.

But I must warn you that once you get used to it you will probably never want to change back to the mouse. Which can be a pain if you freelance for cheap ass clients.

shiftyuk
04-04-2005, 03:43 PM
I've already got a wacom, had one for a while now.

Yes it improves my Drawing because im good at sketching and stuff, but it doesnt really improve my painting, theres something i must be doing wrong, maybe im not using the correct brushes or something.

Just wanted some basic tips on how to improve my painting and airbrushing

Thanks

Ilikesoup
04-15-2005, 08:35 PM
Hey, shifty. If you're still checking this thread, you'd definitely get more attention in the WIP 2D forum -- more eyes and more opinions about general composition, etc.

A few crits since I'm here:
Watch the perspective on your buildings, that they all have the same vanishing point.

There's too much black -- it overwhelms all the other colors. Try substituting shades of gray or brown/sepia.

Give a reason (in the picture) that the guy is wearing a Hazmat suit. If there's tear gas, make colored streams of smoke in the background.

Hope that helps.

davpunk
04-17-2005, 06:21 AM
Photoshop doesnt really help you paint or draw any better. Everything that Photoshop does is based off of your traditional foundation. If you cant draw or paint the traditional way-Photoshop isnt going to help you. I would learn techniques of traditional painting, then try to mimic that workflow in PS...
Gnomon workshop has plenty of DVDs with digital painting techniques as well.

Ziad Shibly
04-17-2005, 11:03 AM
sory i get thes message

deviantART is currently performing system maintenance.
Please try again in 5 minutes.

Reaver2k
04-17-2005, 03:12 PM
Photoshop doesnt really help you paint or draw any better. Everything that Photoshop does is based off of your traditional foundation. If you cant draw or paint the traditional way-Photoshop isnt going to help you. I would learn techniques of traditional painting, then try to mimic that workflow in PS...
Gnomon workshop has plenty of DVDs with digital painting techniques as well.

Thats a lie, I can't paint with acrylic for anything in real life, I can paint perfectly well on Photoshop, Gives more freedom, you can overpaint things without having to worry about anything showing through, you can even erase if nessesary,

Mabey its just my confidence but I have never had the confidence to waste a perfectly good canvas with my painting, so I never have the practise, with photoshop I can press Ctrl+N and then enter and I can start over.

davpunk
04-17-2005, 05:32 PM
Ok. Im sure youre an amazing painter in photoshop then. Id love to see your work.

Skjoldbroder
04-17-2005, 05:52 PM
Thats a lie, I can't paint with acrylic for anything in real life

That's because painting with acrylic or goauche or watercolour or whatever in terms of natural mediums takes skill. Not just painting skill, but knowledge of how to mix colours to get what you want, of how they blend, how to let some types of paint dry before you can paint over them, etc etc.

PS and Painter are easy (-ier, don't get me wrong I'm not saying PS and Painter are a breeze.)

Reaver2k
04-18-2005, 05:09 PM
Ok. Im sure youre an amazing painter in photoshop then. Id love to see your work.

I didnt say I'm a masterful painter in Photoshop and not with natural mediums, but I can making much better images with the use of CG rather than natural mediums.

plaf, thats that I'm saying PS is easy-er than natural mediums, atleast for my hand if not anyone elses. I can paint with watercolour better than acrylic (I can't paint with acrylic at all, any suggestions I would be VERY glad of a pm :) ) but I am still not what anyone would call a painter. I seem to always stick to Pencil drawings or other intresting experimental media that isn't used as commonly as Paint, Saying that I wish I could learn to paint better, never really had any advise on it, mabey it's just a shakey hand on it but I hope not, I will carry on practicing.

Thanks, please pm me!

CGTalk Moderation
04-18-2005, 05:09 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.