PDA

View Full Version : Nurbs Again

xmb
09-28-2002, 04:36 PM
somehow i've got the impression that nurbs are more professional... because in my opinion, it's harder to model with nurbs. ok i have rhino, but even with this program i'm not able to do anything complex (so its my fault). with subdivision modeling in xsi i can do better stuff, but i'm not sure how long this will last, especially if i need to create some more technical objects that remind more of industrial design.
then again most pros work with nurbs so much and i feel bad not being able to do acceptable things with them.

is someone a looser who works with subdivision?

xmb
09-28-2002, 05:47 PM
ok its not that tragic... i can do nice stuff with nurbs. but what gets me demotivated is the fact, that xsi cant import the models from rhino (iges) properly... when i assembly the model to get surface continuity it just doesnt give the result i need. any tips?

i'm sorry if i come up with a topic that was discussed before probably.

skyPhyr
09-29-2002, 04:51 AM
Getting the results you expect requires a thorough knowledge of the way NURBs in order to ensure you construct your surfaces properly initally.

You need to be aware of the type of continuity you're using between your surface patches, be careful to avoid star joins etc in your model.

Most importantly plan your model in advance. Figure out where your surfaces are going to run over your object - make sure that you remember you require 4-sided surfaces to cover your object - avoid placing the seams of your patches in areas which deform.

Hopefully these basics will help get you some more satisfying results.

Cheers,

Alan.

CGTalk Moderation
01-13-2006, 05:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.