PDA

View Full Version : Still: Monsters, Inc. (My First Post Here)

RockinAkin
09-28-2002, 04:06 PM
Hello Everyone,

I've just recently re-discovered this site, and am amazed by the quality of work I've seen in these galleries!! It's insipired me to start cranking out some new CG images... but before I do, I thought I'd go ahead and upload one of my older work just as an introduction... and with that said: "Hello" :wavey:

I'm 19, worked with Max for a while now, and I still consider myself as a newbie to 3D.

I created this image quite a while ago (after seeing the film), but in my opinion it's still the best work I've done to date. (not for long hopefully)

I know the originality factor is 0% :shame:, but I just wanted to see what I could do... besides we all start off with a little imatation - right?

Heres the general info behind the pic:

Software:
3D Studio MAX 4.2, Photoshop (for textures)

Hardware:
1GHz AMD Athlon T-Bird - 512MB PC-133 RAM - nVidia Geforce2 GTS 32MB

Rendertime:
40 minutes total (Only 3 minutes without the DOF)

Everything created entirely from scratch by me.
Textures created in MAX and Photoshop.
Default MAX 4.2 Scanline Renderer.
No Postwork.

Thanks For Looking,
Hope to post more soon!,
DivideByZero

Hysteria
09-28-2002, 07:04 PM
IF you really did make that then amazing! Can you please post a wireframe for verification though?

phoenix
09-28-2002, 07:31 PM
well.........DivideByZero i love to believe it.........but i also need to see the wireframe.........after that .........but i u made it...........itsa amazing......man :bounce:

Exception
09-28-2002, 07:37 PM
amazing

John Lee
09-28-2002, 07:55 PM
where is sully???? hehehhehe nice work lad!!! u should have a go at doing him!!!

Neolee40

RockinAkin
09-28-2002, 08:03 PM
Sorry, didn't think of it before!

Heres the Wireframe view along with some other shots that show a couple of the morph targets and IK rigging I made for the character.

Enjoy!,
DivideByZero

phoenix
09-28-2002, 08:05 PM
wwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwowwwwwwwwwwwwww

veryyyyyyyyyyyy coooooooollllll....brother u know the 00001000011111 .;....:bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

himizu
09-28-2002, 09:01 PM
Originally posted by Hysteria
IF you really did make that then amazing! Can you please post a wireframe for verification though?

:shame: tsk tsk! such lack of faith. granted there have been fakers before doesn't mean that you should automatically accuse him of it. i notice how people don't seem to ask for wireframes on not-so-impressive renders, but anything that seams better than alot of the others here automatically recieves suspition.

hehe, i hope that made sense. (probably didn't)

fbmar
09-28-2002, 10:03 PM
nice modeling man... Where´s the big guy ??? are u going to put they together ?

rsalonen
09-28-2002, 10:33 PM
This is really nice, first I thought, is this a joke, someone just attached a pic from monsters inc and claimed it his. Don't blame me for saying that thou, all I mean is that it looks really great! Almost identical to the real thing.

The only thing I can come up with which could be a tiny bit changed is Mike's color should be more light green, not much thou, but a bit green. That's just a small critic here, I'm really tired now, so I can't see anything more nor write english right now :rolleyes:

mlabrams
09-28-2002, 10:39 PM
thats really good, but i think his eye is a bit bigger compared to his head isnt it?

dror-zoro
09-28-2002, 10:53 PM
realy nice work man

Hysteria
09-29-2002, 05:00 AM
Wow, props dude! My other post is a total compliment then!

Pixarman
09-29-2002, 05:11 AM
Great Job man!:bounce:

I tried to view your gallery on Renderosity, but all I got was a bunch of red x's.

I would love to see more of your work....

Pixarman

RockinAkin
09-29-2002, 06:42 AM
Originally posted by Pixarman
Great Job man!:bounce:

I tried to view your gallery on Renderosity, but all I got was a bunch of red x's.

I would love to see more of your work....

Pixarman
Sorry about that,
I think I fixed it so you can try again now.

Thanks for all of your comments!
DivideByZero

Neox
09-29-2002, 09:12 AM
good work!

what i really don't nderstand is why this couldn't be his work, before showing you guys the wireframes?
The Style is alot different from the movie, is good to but the style in movie is much better, Mike for example ain't that saturated his shaders looks like an apple not just a brilliant green...

aurora
09-29-2002, 03:26 PM
DUDE - :applause: :thumbsup: :applause:
So I'm assuming from your original post that by just re-found this site, you also mean re-found an inner talent. Because you have some nice talent there. Kudos to this work. Do you have any anim's to show off your rigging yet. I'm totally psyched to see some.

FloydBishop
09-29-2002, 04:57 PM
Don't get me wrong, the recreation is pretty solid, but why?

If you're going to spend your time and talent to create something this cool looking, why not come up with something of your own? It's kind of like being an Elvis impersonator when you could be a super star in your own right.

Again, the work looks great, but I've already seen "Monsters, Inc".

I wanna see something you thought up that looks this cool!!

aazimkhan
09-30-2002, 03:15 AM
Hehe.....thats cool, i like it...that mike in yer pic looks like a smaller brother of the original mike....hehe

:applause:

Hysteria
09-30-2002, 04:11 AM
Originally posted by Floyd Bishop
Don't get me wrong, the recreation is pretty solid, but why?

If you're going to spend your time and talent to create something this cool looking, why not come up with something of your own? It's kind of like being an Elvis impersonator when you could be a super star in your own right.

Again, the work looks great, but I've already seen "Monsters, Inc".

I wanna see something you thought up that looks this cool!!

It looks good now shutup ;)

FloydBishop
09-30-2002, 06:09 AM
Originally posted by Hysteria
It looks good now shutup ;)
I agree that it looks great, but put this on a demo reel and send it away to Pixar, and they will say "ho hum...NEXT!!".

Put this same amount of effort and skill into something original and get ready for an interview, you see what I mean? They don't want to see someone else's Mike or Woody, or Flik any more than Disney wants to see a portfolio full of Mickey Mouse.

pabbloz
09-30-2002, 05:48 PM
Don't be so creative... Floyd Bishop...
He explained the situation in his first post.
There are enternainements searching for people who can model all you give them,... and not always for a creative artist.
I don't see anything bad with this...
when I was younger I used to the buy toys of my prefer series... why not model them now? :) we have more possibilities to play! :thumbsup:

RockinAkin
09-30-2002, 08:36 PM
Once again, thanks to everyone for their helpful comments!
I've never seen a hit count grow so fast!

Floyd Bishop:
You have no need to defend your comments! I whole heartedly agree with you, and admire you for your honesty. :beer:

When I first set out to create this image, my main goal was to find a way to test myself with what I've learnt up to that point, to create something as close as possible to the most professional CG to date... and I figured that I doesn't get much more professional than a feature film!

Shortly after I finished, I posted it on the web for critiques and got huge praise from everyone who saw it. I then realized that I had reached the point where I'd learned enough about this craft to move on and start on my own creations, and exercise my own originality. (not to mention the invaluable knowledge I gained about lighting, rigging, etc. during this creation)

So as I said in my first post, I still consider myself a newbie to 3D (compared to all the wonderful artists I've seen here!), and cant wait to show my new (original) work here in the coming months!

Anyways, Back to work!
Thanks again!
DivideByZero

jeb
10-01-2002, 04:59 AM
coolness. i think its a tribute. we all try to reach something once right?

DO SULIVAN

(from wired mag)

CGTalk Moderation
01-13-2006, 05:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.