PDA

View Full Version : Capturing and quality!

Papigiulio
04-02-2005, 12:05 PM
I have no idea where else to put this, since this is a question about Premiere. Anyways if any admin thinks this belogns elsewhere please move this thread ty.

I'm having a bad time capturing video from my digital camera. The imagequality is just plain bad. So I was wondering if anyone has some tips and/or suggestions with capturing. Or maybe I should use a different program!

I have a sony DCR-HC14E, and the quality of the film it records is outstanding. I usually plug it in the tv to check for the imagequality and its sharp as hell there, so i'm obviously losing quality during capture, is this standard or is ti really my settings then?

t.i.a.

artisanfx
04-02-2005, 01:19 PM
are you transfer the video over usb to your computer or are you using firewire (1394)
if you capture over usb to your computer you will lost very much quality because you just capture to mpg1 and this format is not good

but if you transfer your video over a firewire you will get better quality that means you can import the picture as it is on your video ,,,, the same qualite dvd

Papigiulio
04-02-2005, 04:09 PM
actually i have to plug in both cables, usb and firewire for it to work :curious:

marvelet
04-06-2005, 12:06 PM
Hey, do you have any capture card? like matrox or canopus in your PC? Because if you dont have that, when you captured your movie into premiere it will use standart codec like Microsoft DV Avi, the quality of the movie will be degraded and it`s very bad.

You can still use Microsoft AVI uncompressed but it will take sooooooo many space on your harddisk. well you can try that anyway...

Papigiulio
04-06-2005, 04:29 PM
Hmmz no the only card they gave me was the firewire card. Is a card like the one you mentioned expensive and really necesary?? I am willing to buy it tho for better quality, but it shouldnt be like that tho, maybe i really should try antoher program. Or does it do the samewith everyprogram then?

marvelet
04-07-2005, 10:57 AM
yeah it`s pretty expensive, if you`re using adobe premiere pro 1 or premiere pro 1.5, take a look at Matrox (i forgot the type) or you can browse adobe.com/premierepro , see capture card section. In Indonesia it`s about $600 - $700. I don`t have any capture card, i used the standart firewire card, but i`m using Magic Bullet Plugin to make my movie look like film. :)

AAAron
04-07-2005, 05:01 PM
Hmmz no the only card they gave me was the firewire card. Is a card like the one you mentioned expensive and really necesary?? I am willing to buy it tho for better quality, but it shouldnt be like that tho, maybe i really should try antoher program. Or does it do the samewith everyprogram then?

When you import via firewire the computer only shows a low-res version of the dvmovie to ensure a good playbackrate, however when you export the video to another codec or back to the camera it uses the full-res version.

Try to export the moves as an quicktime in animation codec and compare a frame from that to the raw dv you just imported and you will se a huge difference.

AAAron
04-07-2005, 05:03 PM
Double post remove

CGTalk Moderation
04-07-2005, 05:03 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.