PDA

View Full Version : bones on mechs

mfalcon
09-28-2002, 08:57 AM
what kinda bone structure is best if ur creating mechs? i got the bones for the legs, but the upper torso is murder...i really could use some advice......thanks all

PANZER
09-28-2002, 02:48 PM
maybe you could elaborate a little?.
i can't really understand ur question.:bounce:

Atyss
09-28-2002, 05:16 PM
I think he is referring to those sci-fi giant tank robots. Since they are robots, I assume they are made of separate body parts.

So in these cases, the best solution to rig this thing is to use a standard rig, but do not envelope the piece. Instead, use pose-contraints in Comp mode to assign the parts to their respective bones.

Sorry if I misunderstood the question, indeed the question is somewhat cryptic.

Hope this helps
Salutations - Cheers
Bernard Lebel

geoath
09-29-2002, 02:37 AM
hi
U can also make each part of the structure, child of it's reference bone...or
use the envelope way but again like before...each part to ONE bone..then there is no deformation..

choosing between the 3 ways (i count Atyss's pose constrain method too) is up to u..all give the same result!!!..

mfalcon
09-29-2002, 07:30 AM
ah, thanks u guys...sorry for the cryptic question.....ok, jus to elaborate my problem, im doin a 30sec to 1 min animation for my cg class in school............n im doin a battlemech animation, the ones from the mechwarrior game.......n i have a problem adding bone structure to the top half of the body, as it cant really deform, and has to do the whole up down, left right swing with the legs........so im wonderin.........do i envelope half the body to a set of bones over one leg, and the other half to another set of bones over the other leg, without a spine (the legs already have bones)? Or jus a spine n no other bones? Or should i jus parent the whole upper torso as one thing n move it without usin bone struc? cos, the things ive tried dont really work n im not sure what to do....hope this dosnt make things more confusing..haha.....and thanks for the previous advice guys!

geoath
09-30-2002, 12:20 AM
hi
could u please post a view of your robot to visualize it's structure?..if u can, mark the part of the body u have the problem..

best regards
george

CGTalk Moderation
01-13-2006, 06:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.