PDA

View Full Version : HalfLife - CG Movie

LW3D
04-02-2005, 07:42 AM
The CGI Movie would be released in 2009..

Source: deatfall.com

I think Bay Raitt and his team will work this movie. Because he was looking for a talent in his forum..

Valve software (of HL2 fame) and Bay Raitt (of Gollum fame) are looking for exceptional talents to join them in Seattle to create world class original content. We are seeking to hire experienced professionals with outstanding abilities in the following

It seems, it will be one of the best CG movies.

best regards
Gokhan
http://www.sinefx.com (http://www.sinefx.com/)

Redf
04-02-2005, 01:18 PM
All new to me.Thats some news.Thanks.:thumbsup:

CGmonkey
04-02-2005, 01:23 PM
Isn't it more likely he'll be doing a CG-intro for Half-Life 3 or Valve's next title?

stunner
04-02-2005, 02:11 PM
hum looks good !

now we've got to wait and hope they won't be late :D

Laa-Yosh
04-02-2005, 03:45 PM
A CG intro is unlikely - one of the main storytelling decisions in HL was that everything is shown from the main character's point of view. The player never sees him from outside, never hears his voice or his thoughts; Valve tries to make the game more immersive this way. A prerendered movie in the next Half-Life game would probably not work from a first person camera, but any other points of view would go against the above mentioned rule.

A CG feature based on HL... interesting idea. On one hand, there isn't that much reason in doing a movie with computer generated humans if it could be shot with real actors. On the other hand, getting Bay Raitt on the team could make it work... I dunno. Anyway, here's what he said about it on Spiraloid:

can't comment here folks. All I can say is that you'de be working for me on a project vision that is the coolest thing I could think of to do after my experience on LOTR.

WhiteRabbitObj
04-02-2005, 04:13 PM
Could we get a link? I'd like to see what they're looking for.

Para
04-02-2005, 04:15 PM
Who says they're making a movie? What if they're making a graphically really advanced game? ;)

slaughters
04-02-2005, 04:26 PM
... On one hand, there isn't that much reason in doing a movie with computer generated humans if it could be shot with real actors...I know others agree with this, but I've never thought that way. I mean that argument could be applied to 2D animated films as well, but nobody seems to object to them there.

[BACK ON TOPIC]

Direct Link to Raitts post about this in his form:
http://cube.phlatt.net/forums/spiraloid/viewtopic.php?TopicID=1116

BillB
04-03-2005, 09:28 AM
"Experience in shipping a software product, or working on a film project"

Film experience for a game I can see, but the reverse seems irrelevant, so my money's on a game.

Hmm - let's go lateral. "software product" - maybe it's a cool new software tool of some kind. Have to be animation oriented given the people they want. Valve does realtime, mix that with Bay's obvious skills and passions, and the people he's looking for... hmmm, the mind boggles :thumbsup:

erilaz
04-04-2005, 04:59 AM
Hmm - let's go lateral. "software product" - maybe it's a cool new software tool of some kind. :thumbsup:

He was working with the old crew on a new release of Mirai, but we've yet to see it.

learner88
04-04-2005, 01:54 PM
Hargh!!!2009!!!I can't wait so much time!!!

Neil
04-04-2005, 04:19 PM
Where is the link?
Are you sure this wasn't just an April fools?

Xevious
04-04-2005, 05:50 PM
Where is the link?
Are you sure this wasn't just an April fools?

I agree. The whole thing seems kinda vague. A Half-Life movie would be a cool idea though. Certainly they have more material to work with than 'Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within"

Milho
04-04-2005, 05:56 PM
As for me I dont need another resident evil trash movie, even in CG. If they do their own thing, only take the setting from half life it might be good....else it will be hard to suprise the audience.
my 5 Eurocent ;)

BillB
04-04-2005, 09:02 PM
I dunno about the movie idea - why would they want "software shipping" experience for a movie? Or is that just another way of saying "can handle a deadline"? If so, why not just say that?

Goon
04-04-2005, 11:28 PM
here da link :
http://cube.phlatt.net/forums/spiraloid/viewtopic.php?TopicID=1116

vfx fan
04-04-2005, 11:57 PM
Even if this does get made (let's face it, 2009 is still far away from now in movie terms, at least), I think it's proper for a film like that to be live action with computer effects.

I personally don't see what all the fuss over computer animated movies is. With the exception of "The Incredibles" and the "Toy Story" films, CG movies fail to impress me. And "The Incredibles," brilliant as it was, could've easily been a much better movie if it were live-action.

Now if a "Half-Life" movie is made in the vein of "Sky Captain" or "Sin City," then I'll be more than impressed, because those two films, at heart, are live action.

BillB
04-05-2005, 02:58 AM
And "The Incredibles," brilliant as it was, could've easily been a much better movie if it were live-action.

Couldn't disagree more, or at least it wouldn't have been the same movie. But I guess we'll find out when Fantastic Four opens :)

harlan_hill
04-05-2005, 03:35 AM
I personally don't see what all the fuss over computer animated movies is.

Whoa!!! Someone's been reading: "How to make enemies & piss-off people". :)

teknotek83
04-05-2005, 05:41 AM
LW3D, please change the title of this thread. It's really misleading.

stenosis|kill
04-05-2005, 10:21 AM
HL, the never ending story.

Kwe
04-05-2005, 06:19 PM
Actually...I can't wait for the day that a serious movie is made in photorealistic CG. I mean...it's been done with Final Fantasy and Flight of Osiris and all, but Final Fantasy was kind of a stinker and Flight of Osiris was geared toward a specific group of movie watchers.

The day the general audience accepts serious CG movies is that day that movies will become much more accurate. Just think...if you're going to make an adaptation of a video game or a comic book, or even a novel you don't have to go through casting calls that require you to look at hundreds of faces and performances. You can just make the perfect face in 3d and get a good stage actor to peform the mocap.

If a HalfLife CG movie is gonna be made with the set date 2009....then by God, I can't wait.

Lordiego01
04-05-2005, 06:21 PM
You've all been had!

By 2009, HL 5 will come out, and it will looks so good, people will think its live-action.

furre
04-05-2005, 11:15 PM
You've all been had!

By 2009, HL 5 will come out, and it will looks so good, people will think its live-action.
HL came out in 1998, HL2 came out in 2004. If Valve keep working at the same pace, by 2009 HL3 will still be a year away. http://cgtalk.com/images/smilies/tongue.gif

CGTalk Moderation
04-05-2005, 11:15 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.