PDA

View Full Version : Master and Servant 2D Entry: Paul Pham

clotho27
04-02-2005, 03:29 AM
Paul Pham has entered the Master and Servant 2D.

Challenge Page (http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/masterandservant/view_entries.php?challenger=7120)

Latest Update: Concept Sketch: Men at sometime were masters of their fates
http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/8/7120/7120_1112417238_medium.jpg (http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/8/7120/7120_1112417238_large.jpg)

Concept sketch of my idea---inspired by a quote from Shakespeare's Julius Caesar.

"Men at sometime were masters of their fates. The fault dear Brutus is not in our stars, but in ourselves, that we are underlings."

The idea of the image is about being the "master of your own fate" Fate is of course represented by the spider (who weaves all the threads of human life into a tapestry) and by the scissors (cutting the thread of life). The image depicts the human choice of whether to accept and be forever in service to fate/predestination,shown as the spider's thread wrapped around our necks, or to take "fate" into one's own hands and maybe cut ourselves free and master our own destinies.

clotho27
04-02-2005, 03:47 AM
http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/8/7120/7120_1112417238_medium.jpg (http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/8/7120/7120_1112417238_large.jpg)

Concept sketch of my idea---inspired by a quote from Shakespeare's Julius Caesar.

"Men at sometime were masters of their fates. The fault dear Brutus is not in our stars, but in ourselves, that we are underlings."

The idea of the image is about being the "master of your own fate" Fate is of course represented by the spider (who weaves all the threads of human life into a tapestry) and by the scissors (cutting the thread of life). The image depicts the human choice of whether to accept and be forever in service to fate/predestination,shown as the spider's thread wrapped around our necks, or to take "fate" into one's own hands and maybe cut ourselves free and master our own destinies.

ArtVogt
04-02-2005, 06:42 AM
Hey Paul,
Nice man. That's deep subject matter, I LIKE IT! I like how it's undecided, it allows the viewer to think more. It engages the viewer instead of throwing an over analyzed stale idea in his face to be looked at for 5 seconds and then forgotten.

Here's my 2 cents.....I'd make the arm on HIS right leg more angular to break the flat plane created by that arm and the leg being too similar in space. I'd place it limp in his lap, wrist up, kind of pointing at 7 o'clock. That way they'd be closer to the scissor points to add some visual tension, and he'd look less "cool Gap ad-ish" with his hands on his knees, and more lost and unbalanced instead of symmetrical. Also then the arm leads you back toward his neck, and the string idea, which i like alot. All in all i think it'll liven up the composition,depth and movement. I'd keep the scissors in frame and point them more towards the wrist of the other hand....which again would end up leading to the neck. Id make the back leg smaller since its further back, that'll give you more of that juicy depth i love so much. Maybe extend the image dimensions downward about 110%. Could you put an angry Orc or a rabid Kobold or two in there as well? Uhhhh, I guess that's it for me, for now, just my opinion... You are the man, I know you'll make it nice and perty-like.
Are the scissors on the wall going to stand out? Or kind of be subtly on the wall? Like a pattern. Post a value study if you can, I'd love to see how the value is gonna work on this piece! The values will really kick it up a notch....BAM! And then color! ahhhh, sweet colorrrrrr.

Later dude!
Art
Art (at) ArtVogt (DOT) com
www.ArtVogt.com

monsterbox
04-13-2005, 05:58 PM
I like the way your mind is thinking. I agree with Art that the guy is looking too Gap. The style of this sketch seems a bit generic to me, but I could see it being really cool if it was oil painted like "Space" on your website- kind of the Phil Hale look. The levitating scissors conjure that mysterious Phile Hale fine art imagery.

I really like what you did with scissors and yarn with your blood brothers illustration and the design of your website. It seems like elements you like to revisit. I could also see this concept being more fun in your whimiscal style. Because the idea of being on a leash of spider web hints of a fairytale. With fairytale imagery you can also bring in visual allusions to your great Shakespeare quote. It would be cool to see the spider really weaving that tapestry of life, right now he seems to be merely floating in the air. Maybe scissors caught in the tapestry? There's a million things you can do with this. What are you visualizing the final piece to look like?

CGTalk Moderation
04-13-2005, 05:58 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.