PDA

View Full Version : looking for Maya-MR features in XSI

chris.scherer
04-01-2005, 07:16 AM
Hello,

I recently had to work with Maya again and was amazed by those useful blurred reflections and refractions. Back in XSI, I wanted to use the same features and was puzzled that I couldnīt find them anywhere. In Maya, they are MentalRay-labeled extensions to the standard shaders. I have yet to see if these are also available in the special Mray-shader-networks, but maybe thereīs a way to access these features in XSI ?

smaug
04-01-2005, 09:36 AM
in a phong or any other shader just increase your blur option in reflection or refraction parameters... and also increas the samples to adjust your quality

JDex
04-01-2005, 09:42 AM
Just to clarify smaug's instructions... it is the glossy parameter, not blur.

chris.scherer
04-01-2005, 12:32 PM
Geee, and I thought gloss and blur kind of opposites. Well, that settles this one.

What about HDRI-Environments ? In Maya, MRay creates a special sphere, in XSI you get a lightrig. Are the HDR-details really evaluated when you map a .hdr as a texture ?

smaug
04-01-2005, 12:53 PM
thnx jdex.. i just confused the terms there.. :)

there are a lot of ways to light your scenes with hdri images..
here is a brief description of some of them that i can remember..
1- you can use hdri pass from the passes..
that creates directional light getting their color and intensity fromhdr image( more lights means more details if i remember correctly as i dont use this approach much)
2- you can create a hemisphere and map your hdri to this hemisphere using a constant shading node and activating final gathering( it can give you very good results with hdri panorama images)
3- and my favorite , you can use dirtmap to create some passes for ambient lighting from hdri and occlusion and composite them togeher..

and also there maybe some other ways to do it that idont recall right now
cheers

Splin
04-01-2005, 05:11 PM
Geee, and I thought gloss and blur kind of opposites. Well, that settles this one.

What about HDRI-Environments ? In Maya, MRay creates a special sphere, in XSI you get a lightrig. Are the HDR-details really evaluated when you map a .hdr as a texture ?
Add Environment shader to the Environment Shader list in your pass options(render panel>Edit>Current Pass>Environment Shaders>Add>Environment) and enable FG. Click inspect and you can attach your hdri to there. Or you can hook up Environment node also in rendertree for selective objects where you want hdri reflections.
Theory is all the same...

CGTalk Moderation
04-01-2005, 05:12 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.