PDA

View Full Version : Painter 9 Crashes

zookman
04-01-2005, 03:04 AM
A couple days ago, I downloaded the trial version of Painter 9, hoping that it was vastly improved over 8 in terms of this nasty crashing problem...or rather the application suddenly vanishing (with all unsaved artwork lost), notably when I was using diffused digital water color brushes. Alas, I was again painting with diffused digital water color brushes just now in Version 9 and the application abruptly vanished (artwork lost, natch). I had called Corel tech support prior to checking out the trial version and they asserted that the water color algorithms were new and improved. Apparently not that improved.......has anybody else experienced this problem in Painter 9? Any workarounds? (maybe I should hold out for Painter 10......).

John Keates
04-02-2005, 11:06 PM
I just lost a few hours work :banghead:

I lost it when I saved and the file is now missing. I am now oficially pissed off. I am saving as photoshop, is this a bad idea?

Lunatique
04-03-2005, 05:52 AM
I always save as PSD. Painter's native file format is prone to corruption--but if you want to save Painter-specific stuff like the script, you have no choice.

John Keates
04-03-2005, 08:58 PM
I just discovered the iterative save and things might be better for me now. When will all softwhere stop being buggy?

John Keates
04-09-2005, 03:14 PM
AArrgh! It just happened again :( Does this happen to anyone else here? Is there any way to fix corrupted files? I am using iterative saves but I find that the times when I do the most valuable work, I am too lost in it to think about saving all the time.

Aerion
04-10-2005, 12:56 PM
During the past 3 days, it happened to me 5 times.

I save in PSD, like I always did, and never had problems before.
I think it's when you begin to have more than 5 layers and have some masks, I'm not sure by the way ( and I was working with digital watercolor too ).

The program crashes just when I'm saving, genereting a corrupted file.

It's really boring.

Jinbrown
04-10-2005, 02:13 PM
If you guys haven't already, do yourselves a favor and go to the Sticky thread at the top of this forum and click the link named "Keeping Painter 6, Painter 7, and Painter 8 Running Smoothly". Follow those suggestions as they should help in Painter IX as well.

Use Save As the first time you save an image, then Iterative Save after you've made some changes.

The only thing you can skip is deleting the Pre-built Brush File as, in Painter IX, it has a top limit of 200 MB. If you want to delete it, no harm is done and a new Pre-built Brush File is generated the next time Painter IX is launched.

Still, save your file and close Painter IX after working an hour or two, sooner if your image is large, lots of Layers, etc. Even reboot if Painter seems stressed out.

Learn to save often even if it is a nuisance having to remember! It's a lot better than losing hours of work. If you save every few minutes, that should be all the work you lose.

Use Custom Palettes and add File > Iterative Save as a menu command button so it'll take a single click on the button any time you want to save the image.

If you want to save in PSD, do that after saving in RIFF format.

The Painter.ssd file (Windows)/Painter Script Data file (Mac) is known to be a culprit as it saves a script of everything we do in a Painter session. Delete it and Painter IX will regenerate a new, empty Scripts library the next time the program is launched.

Read the thread mentioned above to learn the rest.

Is-boset
04-11-2005, 04:30 PM
I'm also download the trial version but crash everytime i run the app, so i'm back to my Painter VII and don't need to deal with those problems, maybe don't have the friendly interface of IX but have the pace and no steress in my work, that is priceless.

CGTalk Moderation
04-11-2005, 04:30 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.