PDA

View Full Version : Cg chat

mathew_er
04-01-2005, 01:32 AM
in recent times i found many people, me incuding, in the genereal discussion forums talking about useless and cg-non related things. an idea came to my mind. a brand new cg chat for cgtalk users where they could talk about cg-ralated or even cg-unrelated stuff. some place where response time is short and everyone is just chating while having a break from work.
maybe its to much scripting or just simply a bad, useless idea. but it might help clean-up a bit general discussion forums from such dumb threads. may be it just doesnt finto cgtalks style.
ill make a poll here, so we can see and some mod can give their statement on this one.

JDex
04-01-2005, 02:08 AM
This "may" be in the works already, but I would bet that it is not... it would take a serious bit of moderation that the volunteer forum leaders could probably not consistantly provide. There is already the unofficial cgtalk IRC channel... which a number of members use. I find it difficult to have any conversations of value though because there is often so many people on it... I prefer just creating little chat sessions in an IM package or through another private means.

EDIT: The other serious downfall, is that it is a fleeting medium... there is no record of conversations available to the rest of the community, so it cannot be searched and cannot help anyone else. I prefer to be able to research questions and solutions that others had had, before posting about my current dilemmas... and if a chat type solution became too popular... it would significantly reduce the value of the community, because you couldn't just search and find your answer.

mathew_er
04-01-2005, 12:55 PM
You get few good points Jason. But i mean that this kind of chat would be mostly for a free conversation. For solving some bigger issues is still the forum. Other think that i agree with you is that if it gets very popular it could ruin the forums a bit.
The cgtalk irc channel is nice but as you mentioned its used by so huge ammount of people and in the chat it would be possible to have multiple rooms with less people inside.

mathew_er
04-03-2005, 02:42 PM
do mods have any opinion on this thing or was it discussed before?

eggs-in-wisconsin
04-06-2005, 04:10 PM
Hi,
I've got a very simple chat app created in SwishMax/php/txt
If you have webspace, it's easy to upload and get ready
Here's an example
http://www.the-verybest.com/dxcChat_2005_03_27/

After this post, and the mods approve me, I'll be able to post an attachment
containing the swf, php, and txt files required.
Simply upload to your server, and set the chmod for the two txt files to 777
(666 will work)

I'd be happy as punch to have a few of you use it, if you liked it.

eggs-in-wisconsin
04-06-2005, 08:15 PM
...check this link :)
http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?t=228224

enjoy!

CGTalk Moderation
04-06-2005, 08:15 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.