PDA

View Full Version : Making a custom template for a snowboard shape?

Kickflipkid687
03-31-2005, 11:08 PM
Hi,

Im pretty new to Photoshop, and I wanted to make a template of some kinda that fits the shape of my board texture, so someone could just take a paint bucket and fill the templlate with colors and designs and not have to draw out the snowboard shape. I want to make a template of the snowboard shape with a blank space inside of it so paint it. How can I do this? I know there has to be a way.

Thanks alot,

Matt

mdwsr
04-01-2005, 12:09 AM
Use the pen tool, then turn into a selection. Guru's (http://www.gurusnetwork.com/tutorials/two_d/photoshop/essential_techniques/) has a good tutorial on the pen tool.

Kickflipkid687
04-01-2005, 01:33 AM
Hi,

THat sort of worked, but Im having a hard time with the pen tool. I click a point, then another then i get those handles and when i tried to shape it around my board the lines get all messed up. How can I just do straight lines connected to each other? Then once I do all that and complete the shape, how do I make it so you can only paint inside that new outline? I want it to be like, you close the image, then when you re-open it, u can just use paint bucket and fill in color and not allow you to draw outside the shape.

Matt

mdwsr
04-01-2005, 01:57 AM
Turn on the rubber band first, after you select the pen tool look at the top toolbar and you'll see a bunch of shapes. Just to the right of the little sideways star shape there is a little down arrow, click that then make sure rubber band is selected.

Now you'll have to practice a little drawing with the pen tool, but when you get it close to the shape you want use the direct select tool (type "A" for a shortcut to it). Use the path select tool to move around your adjustment points until it's just right. Read the tut I linked to above, it's a really good one.

After you have your closed path as you like it, go to your Paths palette. Make sure your path is active, then look down at the bottom of the palette. The 3rd symbol from the left that looks like a dashed circle turns your path into a selection.

The beauty of doing it like this is that it is very easy (once you get the hang of it) to make very precise adjustments at any time. You can even move a path to another image if you want. You can also stroke and fill your path with color, but you might want to learn to draw paths first.

Oh yeah, once you make a closed snowboard path you can save it as a custom shape and get to it from your toolbar any time you need it.

Kickflipkid687
04-01-2005, 03:02 AM
Hi,

thanks for all that info!! But, Im at the stage where I made it a path, now how do i save it as a cutom shape? Also, if its a custom shape, when I try to paint it, the painting will only go in that shape right?

Matt

Skjoldbroder
04-01-2005, 06:21 AM
when you've finished doing your shape on its own separate layer, create a new layer and hit ctrl+g (group with previous).

anything you do on this new layer will only show up inside the shape defined on the first layer.

Kickflipkid687
04-01-2005, 12:30 PM
Ok, I got my board in a selection now with the pen tool, but now what do i do exactly after that to get the layers to work right? I tried just creating a new layer while my board was selected, then ctrl+G and that made it so i could draw behind my board, or just scribble all over the place, but not JUST inside the board that i had selected before. I want to make this as easy as possible for ppl on my mod team to make a board skin and send to me to UV map it.

Matt

Kickflipkid687
04-02-2005, 01:59 AM
can someone please answer my last questions?

Matt

Kickflipkid687
04-02-2005, 07:18 PM
Sorry to post again, but can someone please help me!

Matt

NitroLiq
04-04-2005, 06:39 PM
Attached is a zip containing 2 psd files one for a snowboard and one for a skateboard found at Delarge (http://www.delarge.co.uk/boards/). Just create a new layer, ctrl + click the saved path, and paint away.

Kickflipkid687
04-04-2005, 08:20 PM
Hi,

thanks alot for these templates! But, I would like to learn how to make my own snowboard shape and copy it over so i have 2 vertical boards side by side and then paint. Also, what do you mean by control + click the saved line? WHat is that? Sorry for all the questions, just want to be able to make my own shape. I know you use the pen tool to outline, then how do i get to the template you sent me and paint it?

Matt

NitroLiq
04-04-2005, 09:38 PM
With regards to the templates, unzip the psd files, open the snowboard template in PS. All you have to do is create a new layer underneath the one that's locked and start painting. The white area will block out anything beyond the snowboard's shape. If you want to make two snowboards on one page, just increase the canvas size, unlock the template layer (click the lock in the layers window), copy it,move the copy underneath the original, merge the layers, and re-lock them.....now you'd have a template with two boards.

If you want to make your own template, make sure the paths window is showing (window > paths)...i usually keep layers/channels/paths/history all in one dock for easy access. Use the pen (path) tool to draw the board shape...you should see an outline of it in the path window....ctrl + click that path and it will load it as a selection. Then you can go back to the layers window, create a new layer and start painting in the selection area or if you want to make something similar to the template, you could load the path as a selection, hit ctrl +i to invert the selection then fill it with the color of your choice.....this would fill the area outside of the selection leaving the board shape transparent. Now you would do like I mentioned in the template...create a new layer underneath and start painting.

If you still don't get what I'm talking about, you really should hit F1 and read up a bit on paths and whatnot.

Kickflipkid687
04-05-2005, 12:44 AM
Man am i a moron, i still cant get it to work right, lol. Maybe I will just do what I did before. Just use the magic wand tool, then select the background, and do inverse selection, then use paint bucket to fill with color and edit with other settings. Or use the template you sent me and create 2 sides for the board and paste them in the same canvas and save as a jpeg or bmp. I guess im to stupid to learn PS like this. I will have to wait until college and be able to have other kids or the instructor help me one on one until i get it. I just wanted to make a simple snowboard outline, with a white background then inside the snowboard shape have a transparanet background where u can just paint without creating any layers at all. And if you would use text, it would show inside the board then if u typed to long it would disappear behind the boards shape. I wanted to have 2 vertical boards setup like what i just explained.

Matt

Kickflipkid687
04-05-2005, 12:49 AM
Hi,

Actually i got the modification of the template to how i want it so i guess this will work. Thanks alot for dealing with me, sorry, lol.

Matt

CGTalk Moderation
04-05-2005, 12:49 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.