PDA

View Full Version : tablets on a $200 budget

Fibus
03-31-2005, 06:01 PM
After doing a bit of research, I've narrowed down my selection to a Graphire3 6x8 ($162, newegg.com), Intuos3 4x5 ($200, newegg.com), or getting lucky and scoring a Intuos2 9x12 for around $200 on ebay. Now, a few questions for you guys before I make a choice. How important is the space on the tablet? Obviously, more space is better, but will only have a 4x5 space hinder me or prevent me from doing stuff that I could on a 6x8 or 9x12 tablet? Also, besides the cool touchpad and shortcut buttons on the Intuos (which I really like and would probably use), does the Intuos have any other features over the Graphire that make it worth the extra money? Would anyone recommend a tablet other than the ones I listed?

This would be my first tablet, although I have played around with a 4x5 Graphire that was in the computer lab at school.

edit: Should probably add that the tablet will be used for 2d photoshop work and texture work for models.

Zack
03-31-2005, 11:27 PM
The size really doesn't matter TOO much. If it's too small your hand may hurt. One reason why you might want a big tablet is if you have multiple monitors. The tablet doesn't work like a regular mouse- each point corresponds to one on the screen. So if you have two monitors you'll have to squeeze your hand much more.

Fibus
04-01-2005, 06:01 PM
Thanks for the info. I have fairly large hands (my palm could probably cover the 4x5 space), so a smaller tablet might be out. I'm really interested in hearing if people feel the extra features of the Intuos (whatever they might be, please inform me) are worth the extra money and if they use them on a regular basis.

techfreak
04-01-2005, 11:33 PM
Hey , why dont you take a look at my thread for the optoma pi500. Its a 15" lcd tablet for 275 USD. Details on how to get it are also on there.

http://cgtalk.com/showthread.php?t=222503

I have had it for two weeks now and am really satisfied. It has totally replaced my Wacom Graphire 3. Its really smooth with a beautiful display.

CGTalk Moderation
04-01-2005, 11:33 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.