PDA

View Full Version : Animation: The end of the world

meats
09-27-2002, 06:48 PM
Hi!

I'm usually just an information lurker, so this is my first post here - so hello.

I have been working on the between-level animations for a video game (Doomsday Rescue from Midway Games). The storyline is progressed through a series of televised newscasts about the end of the world which was brought on by a storm of meteors. Along with the newscasters dialoge, the screen will be filled with headlines, scrolling text, info, and all the other motion graphics that crowd the space on CNN style news shows. I have complete control over the content of these images so I think there is a good opportunity to put in a lot of really funny (or serious) stuff. The problem is, because these need to be done <yesterday>, I don't have a lot of time to think up the choice ideas.

Anything pop into your head? Remember, this is the end of the world. What would the headlines say? This game is rated "M" mature, to they can be racy, but not crude of course..

If you would like to view a lipsync test of the newscasters using Voiceworks, look here:
lipsync test (http://www.sketchovision.com/animation/animation_main.html)

thanks

Meats Meier
http://www.sketchovision.com/images/newscasters.jpg

SheepFactory
09-27-2002, 07:55 PM
LOL , thats some funny stuff :D

welcome to the forum :beer:

A|i

slaughters
09-27-2002, 08:24 PM
SYSTEM TEMPORARLY DOWN. TRY CALLING BACK IN 15 MINS

O.J. and Nicole, together again !

Bill Gates announces a bug free version of Windows to be released next month.

Rosanne Barr wins Oscar !

101 interesting things to do with your neighbors annoying cat.

Bill Clinton passes Polygraph test !

We just make this stuff up.

Why am I still here typing in this stuff when I could be at home.

froggyplat
09-27-2002, 09:48 PM
"Democrats and Republicans come together and agree on every issue. World explodes."

"Giant mice armed with lab coats and syringes roam corporate halls of Dow Chemical."

"Large meotor feared in direct collsion path with earth. Donald Trump offers hairpiece as net."

"Clinton f#@ks like mad."

"Stock market goes down. Then up. Then down, then, oh screw it...I'm gonna go kick Geraldo's ass."

GRMac13
09-28-2002, 06:04 AM
Likely headlines to signal the end of the world:

France bans all Jerry Lewis movies.

Switzerland declares war on the homeless.

George Lucas releases "FX-free" version of "Star Wars."

Muslim extremists declare a"Be Kind to Infidels Week."

KKK and the Nation of Islam hold joint bake sale in Harlem and Mississippi.

Government finally reveals that they had the cure for both Cancer and AIDS, but sold them to Saddam Hussein in exchange for the recipe for Anthrax.

Jimmy Carter becomes "el presidente de Cuba" after the death of Fidel Castro.

The Aussies apologize for Russel Crowe.

The UN enforces a resolution.

ed209
09-28-2002, 06:17 AM
I'm suprised your able to post these images and tests. I've always known gaming companies to be ultra secretive about their current projects. Oh well more new stuff to wet the eyes with.

pearson
09-28-2002, 06:38 AM
LOL! My friend wrote the original design proposal for this game! What a trip to see it actually being developed.

I like the style of the characters; realistic, but stylized. Some great ideas there for the scrolling text, guys! Here are a few of my own:

-Steve Jobs admits he stole Mac GUI from Xerox's P.A.R.C.!!!
-Tonight at 11:00, Bill Gates to reveal that he really IS the Devil!!
-King of Pop: "I had a little work done." Full story at 11:00pm
-Northern Ireland voted "Most Restful Getaway Spot"
-Tonight on "Cooking with Kara", ten great recipies for Armageddon.
-WIN dinner for two at "The Restaurant at the End of the Universe"!!

Henrik Hörlin
09-28-2002, 09:19 AM
How about:

All heavy metal bands join up with comment: This will be the best show EVER! (and the FX are FREE!)

ILM appologices with comment: ALLRIGHT! We over did it this time, we are sorry! It is NOT the end of the world!

WANTED: Oilrig drillers! No space experience needed, only attitude!

IRS: We might have made a mistake. 1 Trilion dollars back to taxpayers in the US.

S.E.T.I. Finally pick up ET-signal! It reads: Look out! (or SORRY!)

Metallica joins forces with napster to spread their latest CD-single before it time is up. (we just wanted to get the message out to our fans)

Contest: Send in a picture of your favourite mushroom cloud. Winner wins a place in the nemessis bunker for life!

Frank Dodd
09-28-2002, 12:34 PM
I need to get my glasses checked I think I couldnt find the news caster clips. You certainly have some great animation up on that site though, I love the camera work and the natural character animation across them all from the statue to the RT bot. :cool:

That moving human statue is simply crying out to be cast in an evil temple as the center piece of a bizzarly groteque fountain of blood in some 18 rated tomb raideresque short. Or perhaps I'm just twisted :p

meats
09-28-2002, 06:04 PM
Yahoo! I knew I came to the right place for some good ideas!
There is some damn funny stuff here already. Definately some stuff that I can use. Thanks Ali, slaughters,froggyplat,GRMac13,pearson,Henrik - and everyone for taking the time...my belly hurts.

ed209 - The images that I posted were just tests, nothing that will actually appear in the game, but your probably right, I'm not too smart that way.....
I figure a little hype never hurt anything.

pearson - Cool, it's a small world. The game is nearing beta and is turning out to be really fun - the king of pop headline will most certainly make it's way in.

Frank Dodd - Thanks for the compliments on my animation. I just got my first DV camera, so I'm going off on all of the tracking stuff that I'm able to do now. The lipsync test is about eight animations down, but heres a direct link -lipsync test (http://www.sketchovision.com/animation/newscaster.avi)

Thanks again, everyone, and keep em' comin'!

Metallica joins forces with Napster:buttrock: !!

meats

blastzone
09-28-2002, 07:40 PM
Breaking News: international leaders declare world peace.

unfortunately the Nasa project budget for prevention of a major meteor impact was cut when it was discovered that one of the people working on the guidence for the missles was discovered to have worked on windows 95 this meaning there had to be a suicide crew abourd to "reboot" it at 10 000 ft.

Elvis lives.... but not for long!! ha

Alien message interrupted reads: what happens if i press THIS button.

my hampster does a great impression of this guy....

if i stole a fighter plane would i still get arrested??

CGTalk Moderation
01-13-2006, 06:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.