PDA

View Full Version : How to do a VOP Network Ramp?

Feagond
03-31-2005, 04:29 PM
I have recently downloaded houdini apprentice to give it a try and found it to be an excelent app, very competent and professional. As I explored VEX i ran into a simple problem. How to do a ramp in a vex shader? I didn't find any ramp VOP, but have noticed excelent ramp controls in both POP networks and compositing. So, my question would be, what alternatives are there to make a ramp in VEX to apply as a texture, other than exporting a ramp cop into a pic to apply as texture?

Thanks in advance :)

ThE_JacO
03-31-2005, 04:48 PM
on visual paradigms there used to be a ramp vop for download.

could be worth having a look.

Feagond
03-31-2005, 05:12 PM
It appears to have recently changed server and some things are not yet online. I'll keep checking it out from time to time. Thanks :)

ThE_JacO
03-31-2005, 05:53 PM
the reason I know it was there is because I went through the same issue you had, I'll see if I have it saved in a directory somewhere at home, if I do I'll let you know.

elibutler
04-01-2005, 02:10 AM
You can use either the Color Mix or Spline VOP. You can use Ramp VOP to control the bias of the Color Mix Vop to control the falloff.

E.

Feagond
04-01-2005, 05:30 PM
Thanks ThE_JacO that'd be great.
elibutler: using the spline VOP is a nice solution for creating ramps of +2 colors but it still has the problem of not having precise control over the placement of the colors along the spline. Imagine that i wanted a ramp starting with white and changing into black in the first 0,1 of the total and then holding black until 0,95. It would be possible to do that way but i'll have to add 20 inputs to the spline. Do you know any other way of controling the placement of colors?

Thanks to all

CGTalk Moderation
04-01-2005, 05:30 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.