PDA

View Full Version : problem with osg

shweta
03-31-2005, 04:02 PM
hi
i am trying to run osg programs but it gives me errors like "could not open included file etc.
can any body help me with this ,what needs to be done?what i must have overlooked?
thanks
shweta

Iridium
03-31-2005, 05:33 PM
What are you trying to run, in what OS, with what program. Is there a more detailed error message?

Does the program you are trying to run have the libraries included in it's directory or is it possibly looking for them in an OSG installation? I can only speculate but you may need to install OSG and make sure the environment variables are set properly (if you have winblows).

shweta
03-31-2005, 07:52 PM
HI
I am trying to run the openscene graph program with glut in visual studio . net and the install is fine .the directories are included in the properties but my linker cant get to the file.it cant locate the files even though the path ,libs and dlls are in right place even the additional dependencies are given.
any idea what the problem might be? I am trying to run the tutorials of openscene graph.but the .cpp files cannot run when in vs7
any help is apperiated
thanks
shweta

Iridium
04-01-2005, 03:20 PM
I had the same problem about 2 months ago using VS7. Wait until the intellisense code completion decides it doesn't want to work any more...

This sounds silly but your environment variables may not be set properly even though they may look fine under windows. Maybe try setting static links in VS7 in your project properties. It's a pain but you only need to do it once. I had the same problem and this fixed it for me.

Not to plug the project i'm working on but check out www.Delta3D.org (http://www.delta3d.org) , it's an API that wraps osg. We just hit version 0.85 last night. There are some great tutorials on how to set up a new project and set all the paths correctly with VS.

Hope this helped.

shweta
04-04-2005, 07:47 PM
Hi Iridium
Thanks for your help i would go through the tutorials.......but the problem now is the environments where set rught and libs etc where in right place path also set and the .cpp file did work but today it just refuses to work showing errors in headers......
any suggestions?
shweta

shweta
04-07-2005, 04:10 PM
Hi
This is what i get when i go to debug and start:
debug assertion failure
program \osg absolute.exe
file :dbgdel.cpp
expression:_BLOCK_TYPE_IS_VALID(pHead->nBlockUse)
(Press retry to debug the application........
but notthing happens on retry or abort just internal files open.
also i am unable to run in release mode. whenever i switch to release it goes
back to active(debug)
whaty needs to be done?
thanks
shweta

Iridium
04-11-2005, 03:21 PM
Sorry for the long delay in reply.

I can't be certain but that sounds like the heap might be corrupted, probably because it's writing past the boundaries of an already allocated object. You might try doing a clean install of OSG or try using a cvs snapshot. I'm not certain what would cause that error. I remember OGRE having a similiar problem with their memory manager.

You might ask on OSG's forums and see if they might have an answer.

Sorry I couldn't be more help :shrug:

shweta
04-13-2005, 02:31 AM
Hi
Can you tell me simple steps to create a particle system. I am a new user to osg and working on a project which needs an explosion effect.I would also like to know the example given for particle effect uses/creates its own class but cant we just use the osg library?My question might be very basic but i am just trying to understand the graphics world..........
is osg library very easy?I mean jst by writing "osg: : particleeffect"and giving certain parameters as set center, axis accel ,force would create a particle system?
and i wont have to write my own class?

so far i am having some cl.exe error and the examples built fine but output or result is not seen so i have to go to release and open the exe file to view the output of my program.also the example run only in c:/ and not on z:/(thats funny)
thanks for your help.
do reply
shweta

Iridium
04-13-2005, 09:06 PM
I cannot describe the creation of particles better than this guide (http://openscenegraph.org/documentation/NPSTutorials/osgParticle.htm). The code on that link is about as simple as it gets. I would suggest you write a wrapper class to the OSG osgParticle so you can integrate it easier into your own project better. This also becomes helpful if you decide to use a different engine half way through your development cycle.

The osg library is fairly easy only because it's well documented and has a large user community. If you are trying to actually write a game I would still suggest you use either the libraries provided by OGRE or a similiar open source game engine.

For your project to start in VS6 did you make sure that it was set as the "set as startup project"? Right click your project and click this menu item if you haven't already. Just a thought.

You might also try running the vcvars32.bat file that came with VS6, it should be in the install directory somewhere. You may have the case where the environment variables for vs6 tools were not installed. That's all I can think of for your cl.exe error... very odd.

Did you by chance install XP service pack 2?

shweta
04-14-2005, 02:29 AM
Hi Iridium
I dont know whether we have xp pack iwill check at my office tommorrow.also i would like you to be more clear on the problem i am facing..........we donnot do game development its similar but is research oriented but for different fields,electronics(nanotech),earth and atmospheric science,measured responses of people(economics etc)and get interaction done,augmented reality(do not have much knowledge ).
I am electronics enginner and my visa doesnot allow me to take full time course until i apply.but getting admin is tough so am working volunterily under a prof. on some projects and indirectly learning,so i am totally new to graphics, concepts and even programming in c++(but i am learning)

your help is indeed valuable and will keep you posted on my problems i face.
thanks
shweta

shweta
04-23-2005, 02:52 PM
Hi Iridium,
we do use xp2 pack in office.does it have anything to do with the problem i face?also i wrote my own program but when inserting the fragment of explosion i was not able make out what effect was seen in the viewer .also my particle system shoots upwards and then comes down whereas i wish to have it go fram left to right living a smoke trail.

thanks
shweta

Iridium
04-25-2005, 03:19 PM
Hi Shweta,

You might check out the particle editor and sample files in the Delta3D (http://www.delta3d.org) install. There are examples for an explosion and smoke. The particle effets can be found in the /data/effects/ folder and the particle editor can be found in the /utilities/psEditor folder. You can also take a look at the source files for the particle editor and get an idea on how to manipulate/create your own particle effects.

Did the particle effect you created load at all?

shweta
04-25-2005, 03:48 PM
Hi Iridium
Thanks for the reply...I gte the particles and can change in output when changing the range rate and size but i am unable to separate out the smoke particles(though i see some change on the volume).THis might be coz smoke particles are the same as color as the other (will check) and was not able to seea ny explosion effect.

also in the fragement of smoke .i went thru a tutorial which had
osgParticle::Particle smokeParticle;

smokeParticle.setSizeRange(osgParticle::rangef(0.01,2.0)); // meters

smokeParticle.setLifeTime(6); // seconds

smokeParticle.setMass(0.03); // in kilograms

but on the website www.openscenegraph.org (http://www.openscenegraph.org) i couldnt find in smoke effect class ,setsizerange,setlifetime.etc(are these member functions?
Thanks
shweta

Iridium
04-26-2005, 05:22 PM
If I understand your question correctly
osgParticle::Particle smokeParticle;
This is an instantiation of the Particle class that was given the name smokeParticle. What they have done in this example is create an object of Particle. All member variables for the Particle class can now be called from smokeParticle, such as setMass(), setLifeTime() etc. If you wanted to create your own SmokeParticle class you could simply sub-class the particle class you found in osgParticle::Particle, override the member functions with your own, and set default properties that would describe and affect your smoke. In this way you could instantiate an object of your smoke class later without having to re-define what smoke looks like.

I'm not sure what smoke particles you're trying to seperate out. As for the explosion, you'll probably need to create another particle effect for this.

I hope I didn't misunderstand your question.

;)

shweta
04-27-2005, 12:57 AM
Hi Iridium
This was something i am able to understand....will try out and do some changes and then get back to u.
thanks for the help
shweta

shweta
04-27-2005, 08:22 PM
Hi Iridium,
I was able to find the missing smoke effect:) .THe example had created a ptemplate for the particle system which was over writting my smoke effect so i converted my smoke effect as template.I think to create an explosion effect we will create another particle right?but if Both the effects are required to the same particle then ?
also the ptemplate i wrote has set life time but the particles dont show any difference other than their size increase.if life time is 10 the they are like small dots and if 0 then they are like
big square.

can the osg library its classes be used as nested classes?
how is the "shoot" used it says in the website it should not be directly used.
is their any other way to apply texture as i am having problem withe .rgb files.
i was thinking of textured billboard but dont know how to use it.
any answers do reply
thanks
shweta

shweta
05-03-2005, 05:18 PM
Hi
does any body know how to texture using osg?what does inheritence graph means?how to get time controlled particles.how is particle processor different from particle updater?

how to load amodel in command prompt aslo alternative to apply texture (apart from loading a model and applying it)

I keep getting errors particle effect doesnot have smoke effect as its member function.how to instantiate particle effect.(what ever that means).
whate os osg::Node?
How do I animate path (assign a path to particle)?
do reply any help absolutely necessary
thanks
shweta

CGTalk Moderation
05-03-2005, 05:18 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.