PDA

View Full Version : Spherize effect like Photoshop

snowctrl
03-31-2005, 12:58 PM
I'm using After Effects 6.5 to create a text effect that simulates the rolling dials of a fruit machine/one armed bandit.

To get the effect of text rolling around the dial, I'd like to use the Distort->Spherize effect - in Photoshop this effect has the option to distort only in the horizontal direction, not the vertical. However in Afx this option doesn't seem to be present.

Does anyone know a good alternative way of doing this?

Thanks

jON

dwkim
03-31-2005, 06:42 PM
You could use a displacement map, but a better solution might be to make a 3D subcomp that has the wheel animation in 3D space. Using the filter may have some strange distortions that don't look physically correct. And if you have a 2d/3d wheel spinning, you can add distortions on top of that to get it to look like it's refracting through glass/plactic. Have that wheel off center a tiny bit, and you'll get a slight wheel wobble (more realistic). A little extra work, but I think well worth it, depending on the shot of course.

snowctrl
03-31-2005, 08:52 PM
Nice - thanks for your advice

I've tried using cylinder creator light to arrange the elements in the wheel/cylinder formation, however is there any way of creating a circular cylinder? ie at present the elements make up the flat sides of a polygonal cylinder ...

jON ;)

AAAron
03-31-2005, 09:20 PM
Then "render" it in photoshop using the batch function. Just make an action thats adds the effect and then saves and closes your document. Then go to File- Batch choose your action and select the folder with the image seq in it and hit OK. :thumbsup: Then import the seq in to Afx again..

deano
04-01-2005, 06:24 AM
Hi there I dont know if this might help you in yuor project, but instead of really creating the 3D wheel in a 3D application...would u like to try a 'cheat' ? try using a reverse reflected gradient like this in photoshop to achieve a cylindrical effect. Bevel it, add a metallic texture or add a reflection map as a screen mode over it...you'll definitely get a cool looking image and you can do it just with Photoshop and AE.

The text or images can be created as a long strip in photoshop and keyframed to run over this 'cylinder' with motion blur. Use Easy ease to get a realistic slowdown for the end keyframes. Hope this workds for you. All the best.

Cheers :thumbsup:

Deano

snowctrl
04-01-2005, 09:49 AM
Thanks Aaron - nice idea - I normally avoid this sort of thing for the inflexibility it causes but I think in this case it could work...

Hi Deano - I think we were talking about using Afx 3D rather than a separate 3D app - I was wondering if there's any way using Afx to get a pure rather than polygonal cylinder... I could step it all out to XSI but that adds in a whole rendering timescale to deal with... I'm trying to keep this as a simple Afx job. Your 'cheat' tho simple and effective doesn't (as far as I can see) solve the original problem - that of needing to distort the symbols to make them look as tho they're travelling round a wheel

jON ;)

Khalor
04-01-2005, 10:17 AM
The 'bulge' filter gives an effect very similar to spherize, and you can play with the settings giving it a bevel, etc...

Only problem is, it's production bundle only

snowctrl
04-01-2005, 12:12 PM
I have the Production Bundle, and it is a beautiful thing :)

Y Bulge does the job ok - for the time being I've gone with the Optics Compensation filter tho

j

deano
04-01-2005, 06:27 PM
Hey just remembered something....what about the old Final Effects plugin...FE Cylinder? Could be of help. lemme know.

dwkim
04-02-2005, 12:19 AM
Thanks Aaron - nice idea - I normally avoid this sort of thing for the inflexibility it causes but I think in this case it could work...

Hi Deano - I think we were talking about using Afx 3D rather than a separate 3D app - I was wondering if there's any way using Afx to get a pure rather than polygonal cylinder... I could step it all out to XSI but that adds in a whole rendering timescale to deal with... I'm trying to keep this as a simple Afx job. Your 'cheat' tho simple and effective doesn't (as far as I can see) solve the original problem - that of needing to distort the symbols to make them look as tho they're travelling round a wheel

jON ;)

What about the invigorator AE plugin with an extruded "."?
That's if your shot needs it to be "3d".

CGTalk Moderation
04-02-2005, 12:19 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.