PDA

View Full Version : Combining maya fluids with afterburn.

Lassjus
03-31-2005, 09:58 AM
I'm using afterburn to make my volumetric effects, and I was wondering if you could convert maya fluids into particles and use them in 3ds max, combining them with afterburn.. Hope someone knows!

--Lassjus--

ashishdantu
03-31-2005, 01:54 PM
hi Lassjus,

I think particles and fluids are two way different things.. in terms of how they r built to be themselves.. i mean, particles and fluids cant be interchanged into each other ? :eek: is it possible ? :argh: well if its gotta do something between meshes,, then yes u can interchange between nurbs and polys and subdiv..

one thing though ; u can convert fluids to polygons and use that maybe to emit particles from it..

well i'm wondering if yet all u can take maya particle data into max ?? are the particles and dynamics systems not very product specific ? how is it possible.. pls.. tell me, would love to learn ..

maybe Duncan or Alex or other FX GURUs out here can say something on this..

Lassjus
03-31-2005, 02:47 PM
Yeah. Fluids can be converted into particles. This tut tells you how: http://www.zjprogramming.com/html/fluid_particle.html
And meshes can be converted from program to program, so i thought maybe it was possible with particles as well. If some of the particlegurus knew anything I would be very glad!

--Lassjus--

jdc666
03-31-2005, 08:32 PM
Hi there,
To move particles with fluids, you don't need any script.
Just emit particles into your fluid box, go to your particleShape, open up the dynamic relationships editor, and connect it to the fluidShape that you want to push the particles.
Ah and set your particleShape's conserve to zero for exact motion match.
Cheers.

Lassjus
04-01-2005, 12:55 PM
Thank you!!
I will try it out when I come home, and tell if it works! You guys in this forum really help me out here!

--Lassjus--

Lassjus
04-03-2005, 12:28 PM
I tried it out, but when I connected them, there was no particles emitted. I just disconnect particle 1 from emitter 1 and connect it to fluid shape 1. Right? And nothing happens.

--Lassjus--

jdc666
04-03-2005, 07:39 PM
no, you have to emit your particles into your fluid box.
once there are particles emitted into the box, connecting it to the fluid only acts as an extra force on the particles that are inside the fluid box.

Lassjus
04-04-2005, 10:09 AM
I found it out, but its quite hard to controll. I'll try it out, and thanks for your help!

--Lassjus--

Duncan
04-04-2005, 05:55 PM
As was mentioned, the key is to make the conserve value zero on the particle system. Then the particles will exactly follow the fluid flow. They can still get stuck at boundaries, however. A workaround for this is to create an additional attractive radial field with cube volume bounds just slightly smaller than the fluid and turn on volume exclusion. Thus the particles near the fluid edge will get a slight nudge back into the fluid.

Duncan

Lassjus
04-04-2005, 08:20 PM
Thank you duncan. I heard you are a FX guru. Do you know the possibility of transferring Maya particles to max?

--Lassjus--

jdc666
04-07-2005, 04:39 AM
Kinda like buying dinner to go from an expensive french restaurant & eating that in mcdonalds.

Lassjus
04-07-2005, 04:55 AM
yes, I know, but Im using afterburn in Max.

Kabab
04-07-2005, 06:51 AM
Well you can use fuilds to drive particles which you could then cache.. Then somehow convert the cache file into something Max understands...

I guess if your a good programer i guess you could do it that way but who knows......

Why you would bother i don't know just render it in Maya...

CGTalk Moderation
04-07-2005, 06:51 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.