PDA

View Full Version : Master and Servant 2D Entry: Meredith Eligh

Elaeria
03-31-2005, 03:26 AM
Meredith Eligh has entered the Master and Servant 2D.

Challenge Page (http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/masterandservant/view_entries.php?challenger=7021)

Latest Update: Concept Sketch: perspective changes
http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/8/7021/7021_1112502938_medium.jpg (http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/8/7021/7021_1112502938_large.jpg)

So I've changed the perspective...
also made changes to the master concept. While he appears to be directing the slave, he himself is chained to the crystal ball (his destiny). He who is the master, is also a slave.

Just a quick sketch. *sigh* Sadly I lose an hour tonight because of daylight savings time...one less hour to work on this *cries* :P
Stay tuned :) As always, any comments you wish to make on this will be welcomed. I know I haven't put much of my work up on the site, but I assure you it is mainly due to time constraints placed on me where I work. I will do my best to get more stuff up faster so you can get a feel for this.
I'm not sure how solid this idea really is...but I guess that's what concept sketches are for right? *grin*

~Ela~

Elaeria
03-31-2005, 04:28 AM
Hey all!

I have been rattling around my brain and my sketchbooks coming up with ideas since I first saw this challenge posted and, while it did take me a while, I finally managed to sum up some courage to enter my own piece.

I'll be focusing on the concept of being a Master or a Slave to ones own destiny. I had been suffering from some severe creativity blockage for a while. 'loody 'ell it was frustrating!!! :P Then when I was reading the other day, I came across a quote that struck a chord in me and the imagery came flying.
"I do not believe in a fate that falls on men however they act; but I do believe in a fate that falls on them unless they act." ~G. K. Chesterton~

This piece may be a little abstract, but I'm looking forward to developing it. I'll post more ideas in the coming days as my sketches are loaded up. I have some sketches ready to scan in so I'll post them tomorrow for you all to crit.
I have been watching with great interest all of the entries to Master and Servant with much admiration and fascination. Wow! Good work everyone!

Looking forward to this one! This is my first challenge, but I think I'm up for it. *grin* Best of luck to you all!
~M~

maozao
03-31-2005, 04:31 AM
hail, welcome and good luck in your doings
i liked that concept, but it is a bit too hard to cpture
i am really looking forward to see some sketches

:)

Chemsem
04-01-2005, 03:16 AM
I understand what it is like to have some many images in your head, and just wanting to break the dam and let them all pour out onto your work area. Though I do not see any of your artwork posted, I believe you have an excellant idea. Man is a slave to many things. I wish I would have thought of something like this. Perhaps, with time, my ideas will also develop from the most intricate of details, such as your quote. Good luck.

Elaeria
04-02-2005, 01:15 AM
http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/8/7021/7021_1112404507_medium.jpg (http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/8/7021/7021_1112404507_large.jpg)

So here is my initial sketch. Very rough, but getting the placement of the objects together.

The idea I hope to represent is that one has a choice to be a Master or a Slave to their own destiny.

With a crystal ball being the imagery used for Destiny or ones percieved future, the two figures surrounding it represent the conflicting methods of achieving that desired outcome in their life.

While the one figure works hard to achieve their dream and is not afraid to break their back on the journey, they are likely to come close to if not achieve that which they hope to attain in life.

The other figure rides on the backs of chance, lets things fall where they may. Ultimately, the latter figure may delude themselves into believing they are Master of their Destiny, when in fact they are destined to be a slave to the outcome, having never taken responsibility for it.

It is my goal to show the two figures in a Master/Servant type relationship to represent the conflict of one person deciding which route to take (the easy route, or the more difficult and challenging route)to achieve their outcome. I think this conflict will be best displayed by their physical reactions to eachother.
One figure shows distaste for, and superiority over, the labourer pulling the crystal ball. The other figure shows determination and more focus on moving the crystal ball than succumbing to the arrogance of the lazy "Master".
Eesh...does that make sense? More to come..my brain is fried...LOL.
Sorry for posting this so late, work has been crazy this week and I haven't had much time for the web let alone my sketching..*sigh* Things should get better soon, so I can jump in the game more often.
Thanks everyone!
~Ela~

Elaeria
04-03-2005, 05:35 AM
http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/8/7021/7021_1112502938_medium.jpg (http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/8/7021/7021_1112502938_large.jpg)

So I've changed the perspective...
also made changes to the master concept. While he appears to be directing the slave, he himself is chained to the crystal ball (his destiny). He who is the master, is also a slave.

Just a quick sketch. *sigh* Sadly I lose an hour tonight because of daylight savings time...one less hour to work on this *cries* :P
Stay tuned :) As always, any comments you wish to make on this will be welcomed. I know I haven't put much of my work up on the site, but I assure you it is mainly due to time constraints placed on me where I work. I will do my best to get more stuff up faster so you can get a feel for this.
I'm not sure how solid this idea really is...but I guess that's what concept sketches are for right? *grin*

~Ela~

R-K
04-03-2005, 07:43 AM
I think the change of perspective was a good idea. You should work more with your colors though, current scheme most likely is not your finale color scheme, but you should always sketch with colors and value if you want to get a really good color scheme. Don't be afraid of screwing it up if you do a lot of sketching, you can always go back if you screw it - just sketch a lot.

W-I-L
04-14-2005, 06:59 PM
i really really like your concept. The idea is deeper than most and very close to my thoughts of late as i have started writing a novel roughly dealing with this sort of content. it makes perfect sence so dont worry about that.

hmm, perhaps you could you use your sketches to come up with completly different images to represent this idea. maybe there doesn't need to be a crystal ball. cud be fiorks in a road, or any random object to represnt destiny.. perhaps even an animal if you look into different cultures many of them give animals differnt meanings. researh that maybe? An animal might look nice in the image.. not that i ahve a problem with the crystal ball.. it works very well..just coming upwith a few ideas to get the .. erm... ball rolling. :rolleyes:

Maybe the srvant who is toiling thru life and attacking his problems staright on can be a ginat, carrying the ball on his shoulders, representing that he had grown in all aspects thru his choices, while the master can look like a petulent child, riding high on the ball, perhaps even unaware that the giant is below her...

anyway just a few thoughts... i relaly lie this idea as you can tell. keep it coming... i am off to do some line art now.. finally!

CGTalk Moderation
04-14-2005, 06:59 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.