PDA

View Full Version : Still: Homesick

zurfer
09-27-2002, 08:39 AM
All done in max, character with patches, grass with shag: hair and thatīs it i guess.

Thanx to those of you who gave me crit on the Wip section. YOur comments were very helpfull.

Peter

SouL
09-27-2002, 08:50 AM
I know this is a finished piece, but may I suggest something?

See how things will look if you crop the image. There's a lot of empty space to the right (our right) of the character. Crop that part out. If you follow the line of the landscape.. it leads to nothing. If the character was placed more near the edge of the page.. then you can follow the line of the landscape towards the character.

Also... I think the focal point is supposed to be the character? If it's not then you did a great job getting the eye to move towards the moon.

If the character was supposed to be the focal point... Try and fuzz the moon a bit and sharpen up your character. If you want you can eve dim the moonlight a bit so it blends easier with the background.

Just a few suggestions.

say-g
09-27-2002, 08:52 AM
im liking the feel to the image, but I would make the night sky and stars less contrasty the haze is too bright, and the moon looks like a decal on the sky, also if there was abit of light on the darkside of the hill, just so we can see a little green, tho not much help this is, its in the finished gallery now D:

Stimpy
09-27-2002, 11:54 AM
hi

i like that image a lot, i really like the atmosphere of it.

i had the same thoughts as say-g about the grass... and maybe for the final homesick feeling, add a nice long shadow to your character.. i hope you dont mind me playing in photoshop with your pic for a bit, heres a quick sketch:

http://stimpy.netfirms.com/homwsick_shadow.jpg

just my 2 cents though, really dig your pic...

danylyon
09-27-2002, 03:39 PM
I like it a lot.. I'd keep it exactly like that. I already see the mentioned shadow.. it's just very soft.

The shape of the grass.. I really dig!

The problem with the grass is probably that it's too matt. But I think it fit's well.

pants
09-27-2002, 06:08 PM
wow, very nice indeed. great sense of mood.

i agree with SouL, the composition is a little empty on the right and the character is smack dab in the center. if it weren't for that, this would be my new desktop.

i like the haze and i like the silhouette. good job. :thumbsup:

zurfer
09-28-2002, 09:11 AM
Hereīs a cropped one for those who liked it that way. Personally i like the widescreen i made a composition where the sky continues upwareds and the black continue downwards to a poster sized picture and then the widescreen just cuts off a mostly black poster in the middle so thats why its still wide. But i cind of agree when looked on in this format it fits better when cropped a bit, just dont want to cropp it to much bechause i think it will loose its lonely feeling.

Thanx for allthe replies

Peter

pants
09-28-2002, 09:30 AM
i agree, the widescreen is better and is quite useful for the theme of this image. what i was suggesting is that you actually move the camera (not just crop the image) so that the character is in the right half of the frame and the moon in the left.

by all means this is your image so do with it as you please. these are just our humble suggestions.

thanks tho for cropping it. :)

i am still really intrigued with this image, you did quite a nice job.

pants
09-29-2002, 03:48 AM
do you happen to have the image in 1280x545 or perhaps even 1600x681? if so, could you link it or post it please. :bounce:

empleh
09-29-2002, 04:49 AM
Oddly enough, the resolution that I am running crops the little guy so that he is half way between the right edge and the moon. That seems to be a great place. It centers him in the space to the right of the moon and just seems to work. Perhaps you try that and see what you think. Regardless, I really like it. All versions. Something is familiar about it and that makes it enjoyable to view.

Great image and thanks for sharing.
ww

zurfer
09-29-2002, 11:16 AM
i.v got one with 2835X1984 in its original poster form... itīs to big to post and i havnīt got any space to link it to but i could mail it to you if you wish... if you want it sized down to 1600 just let me know.

Heres a lighter version of the poster and i also moved the little guy to hte right a bit.

Peter

CGTalk Moderation
01-13-2006, 05:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.