PDA

View Full Version : First Post: "Arcadia Station"

Arkayne
09-27-2002, 08:50 AM
I'm a long-time lurker, first time poster. Greetings =)

I've mostly made my way as a fantasy and science-fiction illustrator using traditional media such as oils, but recently I've been expanding into the digital realm and have had a lot of fun experimenting. I've been working on this piece for about a week and wanted to put it up for critique before I added it to my portfolio. It's geared towards the book-cover market, so I chose to use a vertical composition instead of a horizontal.

Please let me know if you find errors. I need new eyes to find any flaws I missed before I add it to my portfolio =)

BTW, it's mostly Maya, with a significant amount of Photoshop retouching and compositing.

RobinOberg
09-27-2002, 09:42 AM
wow.
reminds me of Battle Angel Alita
very nice work...

danylyon
09-27-2002, 11:48 AM
Amazing work.. I love all of it.

The only thing that distracts me a bit is the lower part of her stomach. The reflections are kinda odd.. maybe to strong(?).
No real critics.. just something I can't get out of the head.

:thumbsup:

Bezerker75
09-27-2002, 12:36 PM
looks great the only thing that concerns me is that the jet packs look like they are gonna burn her arms off...but other than that lookin great:thumbsup:

Arkayne
09-27-2002, 05:06 PM
Thanks for the comments.

Regarding the shine on her torso, I think I have to agree with you. I had the secondary light set to project from a low angle, and obviously the reflection was too strong where it was most direct. I'll bring that down some.

As far as the jets and her arms go, I noticed that oue too and wrestled with it for some time. Logic said to move her arms, but the 'angelic' composition was lost when I tried varients on her pose. Maybe a different jetpack design would be in order.

Time permitting, I'll try to post a follow-up.

nez
09-27-2002, 11:50 PM
woow great work i love yours s-f style

CGTalk Moderation
01-13-2006, 06:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.