PDA

View Full Version : Softiamge XSI Workflow Pace

piajartist
09-27-2002, 06:41 AM
Hey,

I was wondering does anyone have a good strategy in having a good workflow with Softimage. How can I reduce memory in the App so when doing heavier concepts like animating in scens or manipulating high polyed characters, i dont get a slow lag or glitch, ANY RECOMMENDATIONS OR EXPERIENCED ADVICE IS ENCOURAGED!!

xmb
09-27-2002, 04:42 PM
apply this command

"subsubDsubPolySceneAnimEasywlagno"

Atyss
09-27-2002, 07:49 PM
There are a couple of things you can do:

- You can put things on layers. For example, put the envelope on one layer, the skeleton on one layer, the control objects on another layer, the lights on another layer, and so on. So all you have to do is to toggle the visibility of the layers to facilitate your workflow.

- When animating characters, use Geometry Approximation or Subdivision Objects. During the process of animating, you can hide the hires objects or turn down the Geo Approx properties.

- Something I like to do, is to create a low poly version of my character. By low poly I mean really low poly, like cubes and spheres. The objects replace the body parts. I pose-constraints those objects on the skeleton, and I hide the actual envelope. So the playback is really fast.

- To avoid digging into the explorer too much to find your custom parameter sets, you can do 2 things: create them all under the character model, or create custom toolbars with buttons that open the cpsets.

- About lights, something that is quite useful is to duplicate spot lights intead of creating new one. They will all have the same root. Easier to handle.

I don't see for now what I could add. But keep in mind that if you're starting with the software, it's normal that you struggle with the workflow. As time will pass you'll get more confortable and develop your own time-savers.

Hope this helps
Salutations - Cheers
Bernard Lebel

krisr
09-28-2002, 04:05 AM
1. If you are experiencing a drastic slow-down, select any models you may have modified alot like moving points, polys, edges, etc., and hit the "freeze" button at the bottom right hand side of the interface. This will freeze any current operator stacks for any models you select. This will definately increase performance.

2. Look for "delete un-used clips" or "clips cleanup"....don't have it front of me so I can't remember where the heck it is. There's also a script available on www.highend3d.com called "clips cleanup" that shold work in version previous to 2.x. This will delete any un-used image clips which will free up memory.

3. When duplicating an object with complex shaders, put the model and shader into a group first so that whenever you duplicate it, you will have only one shader applied to the whole group.

4. Use passes....don't render everything at once. Passes will allow you to easily setup shadow passes, specular passes, etc. with ease so you can tweak them seperately.

5. Play around with different optimization and BSP settings in the render setup. Turn off anything you know you don't need. Turn reflection ray-depth down to "1" if you don't need to see things like reflections within a reflection. Set your refraction depth to the minimum number of levels of transparency you have in the camera view at any time....ex. If you have 3 single poly glass panels, you would only need to set the refraction depth to "3". The ray-depth would be no less than the sum of the reflection and refraction depth.

I could go on and on but this is the most I can think of this late at night.....if all else fails.....get more RAM :rolleyes:

dmonk
09-28-2002, 06:56 AM
if you have an enveloped character don't freeze go into the editor and hit freeze operating stack,don't freeze or you screw up you envelope. ( just what i've ound out from experience)

CGTalk Moderation
01-13-2006, 05:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.