PDA

View Full Version : Welcome to the Art Techniques and Theories Forum!

Lunatique
03-30-2005, 08:45 AM
Hello and welcome! So, what is the Art Techniques and Theories forum?

For a long time, cgtalk was mainly a place that focused on 3D graphics, and eventually, we started getting more and more 2D artists joining the community and participating in the challenges, books published by Ballistic Publishing (CGSociety's publishing branch)..etc, and many of these 2D artists don't do 3D at all. As we all have witnessed, the amount of excellent 2D art we see on a daily basis at cgtalk has become something that's awe-inspiring, but cgtalk was still seen by most as a 3D-centric community. There wasn't an obvious place for the more traditional-minded artists to share art techniques, theories, post tutorials...etc--until now.

Although the Art Techniques and Theories forum leans more towards the traditional foundations of art, it does not exclude non-traditional/3D artists. Anyone who is interested in the foundations of art is welcomed to join the discussions and share knowledge. After all, all visual art, be it 3D, 2D, digital, traditional, photography, design, sculpture..etc all follow the traditional foundations of art like composition, perspective, anatomy/figure, lighting/values, color theory..etc. We all share the common roots and history that spans from The Renaissance all the way to the digital age.

Art Techniques and Theories forum will be fairly broad in scope, but within the boundaries of drawing/painting/sculpting/design techniques, tutorials, art theory discussions, art history, influential artists, inspirations, and legal issues relevant to artists.

You are encouraged to participate by sharing knowledge, inspirations, and invite artists you admire to join our community, and hopefully, we'll be able to learn and grow as artists together.

Remember, 3D, 2D, photography, design, sculpture..etc are all visual mediums--vehicles to carry and realize your creativity. At the source of it all, is the art, and that is the most important thing. Be an artist first--everything else comes after.

Leonard
04-04-2005, 09:41 PM
A big Thank You goes out to the Forum Leaders who will be running this new Art Discussion forum:

Robert Chang - Lunatique (website (http://www.ethereality.info/))
Linda Bergkvist - Enayla (website (http://www.furiae.com/))
Jaime Jones - Cicinimo (website (http://www.artpad.org/))
Steven Stahlberg - Stahlberg (website (http://www.androidblues.com/))
Kai Pedersen

Do give them your support and enjoy this new addition to CGTalk!

Best,

Leonard

Boxsmiley
04-04-2005, 09:58 PM
This is gonna be great! Thanks guys!

Equinoxx
04-04-2005, 10:00 PM
A big applause to you guys, I have seen the amount of thought you guys put into this and I am frankly awed . . .

my hat of to you good sirs and lady

Darktwin
04-04-2005, 10:11 PM
This is really a good idea, I think a lot of great discussions will result in this new forum, really excited in the development of this interesting idea.

Schwinnz
04-04-2005, 10:11 PM
I'm really looking forward to discussions on this board !

I want to try a bunch of new mediums soon. Gonna be one of my reference points. :thumbsup:

embodiedform
04-04-2005, 10:15 PM
Robert , Linda, Jaime, Steven-

As a suggestion, would it be possible to have sticky threads devoted to specific art fundamental topics?

For instance: perspective, composition, value, chroma, etc?

That way members will have an easy reference when searching for help in these areas-

Cheers, Jeff

CGmonkey
04-04-2005, 10:15 PM
This is a great initiative, I'll spend some time here I hope :thumbsup:

ralphmanning
04-04-2005, 10:22 PM
What a great idea, Iím looking forward to this.

Alexandrite
04-04-2005, 10:24 PM
thank you thank you! this is a great step for cgtalk :) encompassing more and more of art is a great way to keep building the community.
hopefully we will hear more here from the 2D/traditional/etc artists who hang out on this website and come here for inspiration, but don't often know what to say about the 3D topics.

thumbs up to you guys, looking forward to being even more inspired by everyone here!

Cole
04-04-2005, 10:31 PM
Just the other day I was thinking it would be great if cgtalk had something like this, awesome!

LucentDreams
04-04-2005, 10:34 PM
Its great to see art itself get some technical discussion and not just the programs, this is going to be a very active place I think.

ambient-whisper
04-04-2005, 10:41 PM
good luck with this forum. its got great potential. It is definitely one of those things that has been in need around here.

Garma
04-04-2005, 11:07 PM
this indeed is something I've been looking for. I'll certainly visit this forum on a regular basis. I hope the moderators themselves take the time sometimes to answer some questions.

character
04-04-2005, 11:22 PM
thank the gods! cheers and praise =) good luck to you four =) i hope all goes well

Peddy
04-04-2005, 11:36 PM
Bravo. a constant desire to expand these forums and their capabilities are what help make them so great.

pencil-head
04-04-2005, 11:38 PM
Awesome. That "artists we love" sticky is pure gold.
Thanks guys.:buttrock:

lulaassassina
04-04-2005, 11:40 PM
I asked for this. Hurray! :D

erilaz
04-05-2005, 12:02 AM
There are so many good things about this new section that I want to pull my jumper over my head and zoom around like an aeroplane.:D

paperclip
04-05-2005, 12:26 AM
This is wonderful. A big thank you to CGTalk and our new forum leaders, thanks for giving up your time for us. We really appreciate it!!:bounce:

Also-- what talented leaders. Cream of the crop indeed :thumbsup:

Zorrander
04-05-2005, 12:30 AM
Excellent! I'm just a lurker so you people don't know me, but I have been visiting these forums for a few years now to learn from all the great artists here. I am continually impressed with the quality and leadership of this community. Keep up the wonderful work!

BTW, can anyone tell what the source is for the image used to plug this thread on the main page? it looks so familiar but I can't place it.

cha0t1c1
04-05-2005, 01:28 AM
very cool move cgtalk and leaders....:cool::beer::arteest:

jmBoekestein
04-05-2005, 01:37 AM
Great idea!

Perfect! Especially since I'm only being taught for practical purposes at school. I've only had three art history classes, that's all...:)

Kansai
04-05-2005, 01:43 AM
hey all not sure if i got this right but i thought i red some where that there will be interviews in this section with professional artist. when will these happen thanx for any info

csDevil
04-05-2005, 02:04 AM
It was one of my firsts sugestions for it... really lots of things to learn from everyone here, but there wasn't any space for it. thumbs up!!!
:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Aldaman Medeiros
04-05-2005, 02:08 AM
Great idea Lunatique, i was waiting for a forum like this for a long time!!!

AinodiEpuitora
04-05-2005, 02:15 AM
Wow, art discussion?! Great idea, i can't wait for the artists out there to submit their work and we gonna dicuss it in very technical, philosophical, historical, and cultural way. I think it will be very interesting

gruvsyco
04-05-2005, 02:34 AM
This is great... thanks to all involved :)

SpaceTik
04-05-2005, 03:09 AM
About bloody time! hehe :D

character
04-05-2005, 03:10 AM
BTW, can anyone tell what the source is for the image used to plug this thread on the main page? it looks so familiar but I can't place it.

that's a piece by enayla (linda bergvist). not sure if she has it up anywhere. she showed it to everyone during a speaking at the cgtalk booth. it was awesome seeing it through a projector at 15' x 15', hehe

rynosseros
04-05-2005, 03:25 AM
I'm not much of an artist (no matter how much I try) but I've learnt a lot by reading the various threads and seeing what others are capable of doing. I expect that I'll learn a whole lot more from this forum.

Thanks for all your efforts in getting this up and running!

BigSky
04-05-2005, 03:32 AM
Fantastic...better get out the beret and head for the lattes.

Flatuloso
04-05-2005, 03:41 AM
Great idea. Kudos to everyone involved in setting this up!

Nehym
04-05-2005, 03:51 AM
Great new forum. It sure will be interesting to read what is posted here and to sometime participate. :)

Thanks to those that gave the idea, to those that made it happen and finally to those that will make sure it lasts (forum leaders).

alex.h.
04-05-2005, 04:26 AM
great one, i be sheking in alot on the sculpting bits. :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Lunatique
04-05-2005, 05:31 AM
Robert , Linda, Jaime, Steven-

As a suggestion, would it be possible to have sticky threads devoted to specific art fundamental topics?

For instance: perspective, composition, value, chroma, etc?

That way members will have an easy reference when searching for help in these areas-

Cheers, Jeff

Have you looked at the sticky threads?

Rio Yeti
04-05-2005, 05:33 AM
Let me put a comment I never write down on any reply I post :

Two thumbs up :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

ambient-whisper
04-05-2005, 05:50 AM
Have you looked at the sticky threads?

the good idea about having stickes for that is that those threads could potentially grow into vast information deposits about a specific topic.

Gord-MacDonald
04-05-2005, 06:45 AM
I am looking forward to this forum very much. Great initiative.

Gord

StephD
04-05-2005, 06:52 AM
this is a really great idea :thumbsup:
thanks guys !

SPIDER2544
04-05-2005, 07:06 AM
sounds like a lot of fun, though i dont know how many art theorists hang out here hahah. we should still get some interestind dialouges about art, and were computer generated art is going to head in the future i think a lot of intersting topics and discusions are going to arise from these forums. lets hope some art historians are watching to see us all make history

NOOB!
04-05-2005, 10:13 AM
sounds like it will work!:bounce:

Adamos
04-05-2005, 10:32 AM
Thank the Lord! :bowdown:

This is so needed here! Very intelligent inchoation! I must say people like you four will make this community the strongest and most devoted to art on the planet! And of course the diversity of cultures visiting this site will just add a whole new approximation to things never seen or felt before! My word on it: this is a new era in art history: the era of exchanging thoughts and growing better and more sophisticated by them!

And I don't think I'm over exaggerating this at all!

Congratulations to this!

Is this the thread you can already start a contemplation or are those threads single threads to be started by members, cause I don't wanna mess up things here...I'll go and check for myself, sorry 'bout the dilemma..hehe

cheers

Enayla
04-05-2005, 10:44 AM
that's a piece by enayla (linda bergvist). not sure if she has it up anywhere. she showed it to everyone during a speaking at the cgtalk booth. it was awesome seeing it through a projector at 15' x 15', hehe

Oh my gosh, I completely forgot that I did that (on a side note, I can't believe you actually remember it D: ). And no, it's not available anywhere at the moment.

Welcome everyone to the Art Discussion forums. I think we'll have a lovely time here, it's already bursting with activitiy :]

Arc80
04-05-2005, 10:46 AM
WOW, awesome. I give you guys mad, mad props. This will be fun :applause:

Archie

Luciferul
04-05-2005, 11:42 AM
I'm sure i can learn something from here.

Thanks.

conundrum
04-05-2005, 02:03 PM
ive never really had a forum where i spend a lot of time (dsg or application specific etc.) but this is right up my alley, so it should be very interesting to see how it progresses. kudos to cgtalk for coming up with it and placing such great leaders.

sonicstrawbery
04-05-2005, 02:09 PM
Excellent idea, it will surely be very interesting, thanks again to CGTalk for bringing us this awesome forum :love:

harshalDeorey6980
04-05-2005, 03:01 PM
Yahooooo, yeah thts what i felt when i saw this ocean of information that one cant get without discussion from artist's.....so i get the chance in here & i really not gonna loose this chance.

HellBoy
04-05-2005, 03:11 PM
wow, :thumbsup: yet another forum is born :applause:

waheednasir
04-05-2005, 05:27 PM
hello there..a very good step...:) . very thoughtful of u.

regards,
waheed nasir.
wnasir2@hotmail.com

Fardak
04-05-2005, 06:13 PM
BH

I think it would be beneficial - not to mention enlightening - to have a thread dedicated to discussing the theme of a challenge. I started one on the Master and Servant theme, and I see it was moved to this new (awesome:thumbsup: ) forum area.. Just curious if you will be posting such threads/stickies here with the release of new challenges.

snowkiwi
04-05-2005, 07:46 PM
Right-on Lunatique. :wip:

Samsonomaly
04-06-2005, 05:50 AM
Great idea! I am so glad to see this type of forum here at cgtalk.

Considering the spectacularly talented artists moderating and participating here I anticipate some great discussions here in the future.

ps
04-06-2005, 08:12 AM
I love idea :love:
Thank you all:bounce:

SuperMax
04-06-2005, 10:14 AM
This forum is getting some great indepth discussions happening.

Its a breath of fresh air.

Well done folks.

David Geva
04-06-2005, 11:35 AM
sooooo.....

when do we start?

THECLYKE
04-06-2005, 03:16 PM
:thumbsup: THIS IS MY FIRST POST ON CG TALK SINCE LAST YEAR AND I HOPE IT'S INSPIRATIONAL....UM....ART IS A SACRED THING TO US ARTIST AND WITHOUT FORUMS SUCH AS THIS THAT ALLOW US TO SHARE, EXPLAIN OR VENT IDEAS TO EACH OTHER WE WOULD ALL BE STARVING AND HUNGRY FOR RECOGNITION. WHAT WE LACK FOR EXSAMPLE IN 2D WE CAN GAIN KNOWLEDGE FROM A 2D ARTIST HER. VICE VERSA 3D.

NO I'M NOT AN AWARD WINNER YET BUT WITH WHAT I HAVE BEEN LEARNING FROM ARTIST LIKE STEVEN STAHLBURG, ALEXZANDER PREUSS AND LINDA BERGKVIST IS THAT YOU IN EVERYTHING MUST PAY ATTENTION TO DETAIL.

EVERYBODY KNOWS THAT BUT THEY KEEP REMINDING US EVERYTIME THEY POST. WHICH I AM BEING A STRUGGLING DIGITAL ARTIST MYSELF AM HIGHLY THANKFUL FOR.
:D :buttrock:

ozy_g
04-06-2005, 07:15 PM
Thank god we're going back to basics.

AdamT
04-06-2005, 07:22 PM
One detail you missed--the caps lock key?

depleteD
04-07-2005, 01:25 AM
"One detail you missed--the caps lock key?"

Bazing.

I think this is a excellent idea, I award the moderators that spearheaded this forum 5 friend dollars....EACH!

Looking forward to what this forum will bring.

-ANdrew

Jadan
04-07-2005, 03:31 AM
Finally....

This has been something I have wanted to see more of on this site. As stated, there are tons of great work that our community has so graciously allowed each other to see. I hope and pray that it is a focused discussion forum, one where we can push the envelope and astonish the world!

Thank You CGTalk!

lotaH
04-07-2005, 05:39 PM
Great! this discussion!!

Tks! :thumbsup:

Cameo
04-12-2005, 03:29 PM
A long overdue addition to the CGtalk family of forums! Great stuff.

eturnl
04-13-2005, 09:01 AM
This is cool. Me like. Can't wait to see it really get going! :thumbsup:

larious
04-14-2005, 02:17 AM
Surely this is a must have forum for all artist to share or talk about art and grow there creativeness together with the other artists of the world. You guys are doing a great job you Forum Leaders.

Best step to take.

SkaIsGrrrreat
04-14-2005, 08:32 PM
this is just what i needed from a forum. can't wait to start posting some of my stuff.

Whittler5858
04-15-2005, 01:38 AM
As I am a Carver of Wood & Wax I find this new addition to be wonderful. It will give artist of all kinds an opportunity to participate more fully. Thank You so much.

Tace
04-19-2005, 04:34 AM
Thank you for doing this. I can't wait to see where this new forum goes.

killermachine
04-19-2005, 01:20 PM
your effort is appriciated and it's a big one but u should also do somethin for people like me who r new to the field ad want to learn. please give us some more tutorials. thanks

Lunatique
04-19-2005, 03:50 PM
your effort is appriciated and it's a big one but u should also do somethin for people like me who r new to the field ad want to learn. please give us some more tutorials. thanks

The sticky thread called "Art Theory Links" at the top of the forum is where you would find all that you need. Some of those links can contain just as much learning information as years of art school, and they are for both beginners and advanced artists.

Healdria
05-02-2005, 12:13 PM
It's great to see a community initiated for 2D artists inorder to enhance the interaction between a variety of artists :)
The links are most educational, it's a great help!:thumbsup:

Look forward to more new links:D

Kim.Michel
05-03-2005, 12:48 PM
About a week ago i dusted of my old watercolors that had been laying hidden in the waredrobe and filled my cup with coffe.
Today i'll try to illustarte a gobling in just watercolors, i thought. (this is crazy, traying to paint anything with out spoiling everything with to much water).

But when i started to work with the different kind of smuge colors i realized that this is exakly like painting in the computer. Layers on layers, crtl z (litle extra water). Oh god, I swear i felt like picasso everything whent my way.

I hope you all try it out cuz it's fantastic.
Love.
Kim Michel

Ps. i'll will post my url soon. cheer's

Tawneycocker
05-17-2005, 04:42 AM
I find it rather disconcerting that I as an old, well, fart in the graphics business am need full of starting over from scratch. Back in 62 that's 1962 to you smartys. I was working for an outfit called Batten Barten Bunstom and Dern (Who I am certain by now has added and emulsified several partners) and was quite smitten with themselves thank youbecause they had what was called a big market share. None the less I have always alluded to myself as what we then called a realist however I suggest in my monograph on the philosophy of art, as being an illusionist. why ,one might ask? well too take the process of the flat screen or canvas and intrepret it to others as 3dimensional is an Illusion. Indeed it is a fib we tell to others observing our art. The French call it "fool the eye " were we not to manipulate this process in this manner our art be it realistic(sic Illusion) abstract, non objective, plenaire(sic Fauveist or Impressionistic) and I do not by any thought desire to diminish the Graphic art contingent that has really been the standard bearer for our form in the last 50 odd years. Indeed I have been amazed by the remarkable accumen of the young people I have observed in past weeks. The technology has of course moved beyond the drafting table (although I still have three) and the light box. Indeed we no longer use school paste or mucelage or rubber cement nor the wax we used to replace them with, to do paste up. I remember when paste up and strip ment paste up and strip. we actually used wooden stat cameras. I know what is a stat camera? so when you folks with your fancy rigs manipulate a 3D moving piece of art you really are only an artist with a big memory and an ability to wander into an illusionary place that we all agree exixts even if it doesn't. all of which is the neatest part of the whole process. If Leanardo De vinchi knew about cyber space He would be the first to try it. And when Jon Van Neuhman built the ENEAC He would have been just as excited to use an Apple or Iv'e Been Misled as much as we. we are in a time of great advancements in our art and in our technology I just hope that we don't screw it up by making it too entertaining or too commercial. Yours in Art Tawneycocker

Tawneycocker
05-17-2005, 04:59 AM
I could not have said it better And I as a generalist in art have felt that we have had really no venues for what we have needed to learn and teach yours in art Tawneycocker PS Tawney was my sidekick for 9 years when she went on to the spanuel heaven last fall I am by no means being vulger. Just an old artist that misses his muse. Good luck on your future Jaden Yours in art tawneycocker

Liu Zhengzhen
05-24-2005, 09:34 AM
This is a good place that I could study a lot, thank you very much.

Enlightenment Pictures
06-28-2005, 08:10 AM
Hi,

I've just found this forum, and am thrilled!

Some of the other forums for digital art I'm involved with are a little slow with discussions. This however could be really god fun!

I really look forward to throwing my ha'penny in!

ekah
08-11-2005, 10:44 PM
Although I'm not exactly new to this site, I just want to say a big thank you for creating this forum. This forum seems to be a wonderful place for heated discussions and passionate debates for serious artists and novices alike to grow as a community as well as an individual artists. Big thanks to the Forum Leaders, especially to Lunatique and Stahlberg. You have been most generous. I've watched CG communities evolve over the last decade in a positive direction, and this forum is certainly a postive one. :)

Regards,

ekah

Grab
08-28-2005, 01:08 AM
:thumbsup: Nice to meet Everyone. The here it Great.

methodz
09-13-2005, 08:23 PM
Hello i was just wonduring if anybody would be able to help me or direct me tward some help lol i have been workin with 3ds max now for about 8 maybe 9 months and also vegas video and photoshop for about the same and i just can not seem to figure out how i put models i have personally created into motion picture? i have a couple of ideas but all i can get from my own experiments aswell as reserch is that it may possibly have somthign todo with the "Alpha Channel" BUT THATS IT!!! so any help would be awsome.

MayaZbrushMax
09-26-2005, 05:42 PM
I'm a nower
This is my first post here~~

cubtronic
10-01-2005, 07:47 PM
Hi all....

this is my 4th post.... *woosh!*

*sits down and quietly makes notes...*

- also! where is the best place to go for feedback about my work?

Rebeccak
10-01-2005, 09:31 PM
cubtronic,

It depends on the type of work which you do. If you do 2D work, the WIP/Critique: 2D, Illustrations and Concept Art (http://forums.cgsociety.org/forumdisplay.php?f=31) is best.

Check out all the WIP Forums here:

Work in Progress and Critique (http://forums.cgsociety.org/forumdisplay.php?f=120)

You should be able to find someplace to interest you.

Good luck!

Cheers,

~Rebeccak (http://forums.cgsociety.org/forumdisplay.php?f=31)

FOGG
10-06-2005, 07:32 PM
does anyone know if where i can download maya 6

Lunatique
10-07-2005, 02:44 AM
sykmethodz - Look in the Lighting, Rendering or Compositing forums.

FOGG - If you're asking about the PLE version, then go to the Alias website. If you're asking about cracked software, then you are risking getting banned here.

kingufo
10-10-2005, 12:45 PM
good luck to you every day!

Sanne-chan
11-01-2005, 08:56 AM
I just feel like thanking everyone on this forum, I'm learning so much here! And not just the tutorials, but also things like artists wisdom and stuff like that. Love it!

Elsie
11-01-2005, 09:22 AM
I just feel like thanking everyone on this forum, I'm learning so much here! And not just the tutorials, but also things like artists wisdom and stuff like that. Love it!

Amen to that :D

Fanko
11-12-2005, 02:05 PM
This is my first post on CGSociety, I am very excited to join this massive community and I hope I can lots from it :) I am studying computer animation in uk. Most stuff I came across is 3d or programming, but I am still have interested the principle of art because it is the backbone of any kind of 2d/3d art medium. I reckon is section will be very useful to all kinds of 2d/3d artist.

HNewnan
01-27-2006, 03:56 AM
Its great to see art itself get some technical discussion and not just the programs, this is going to be a very active place I think.

I'm seeking to follow my bliss; it beats going straight to hell!

Hal N.

shahabp
04-13-2006, 05:17 PM
thanks for starting this. I really need that

IllustriousWarriors
09-10-2006, 03:47 AM
Just now finding this, Thanks.

kevline
08-25-2007, 11:13 AM
Just a suggestion maybe it was already posted. It's possible to make a post about environment design because first they don't see a lot of pictures concerning this topic, and where there could be tuto, reference, inspiration, how to draw in big format from a thumbnail for example. Because personally I bought the dvd of feng (shot design env.) which me helped precisely to understand all this definitely but since I want to know about it more.
It is just a suggestion perhaps its not a good idea.
And yeah thank you for your work it's amazing :)

kennychaffin
06-23-2009, 11:16 AM
Old thread, but just wanted to add my thanks as well!

I have so much to learn....so little time....but must approach art as though I had all the time in the world.

maxcreigs
03-05-2010, 11:31 AM
This is my First post in cgsociety community.I am an artist and I like discussion about art.

humblefire
12-08-2012, 09:44 AM
Hi, new to cgsociety and new to the art techniques and theories forum. I think I'll be coming back here a lot.