PDA

View Full Version : Order for lipsync

Magicman49
09-27-2002, 12:04 AM
Hi

In which order would you create a lip sync character animation? Do you do the movement and gestures of the character
first, and then do the lip sync, or the lip sync first?

I have only really had one attempt at character animation before, and I did the lip sync first just to make sure that I could concentrate on getting the lip movement to look right without head and other body movement that might be distracting.

Thanks

goosh
09-27-2002, 12:11 AM
You can do it either way..

Sometimes I do the lipsync first and get it over with and then do the acting..

But simetimes I do the acting first..

Doing the acting first helps you with the lipsync I think.. since this way you might want to emphasice the acting with the facial expresions.

What I do latelly is just block out a very rough lip sync and facial animation.. then do the acting and then go back to finish the lipsync..
In soft/XSI it's nice that you can turn the animation off so you don't have to worry about following your character around and can zoom in really nice and tight to the face... alternativelly, you can put a camera and parent it to the head...
For Maya I wrote a little "muffler" script that does what xsi and soft do... you can find it in highend3d.com

Good luck

Goosh

ed209
09-27-2002, 12:37 AM
I suggest doing the acting first. That way you can get as much out of the characters motion as possible without relying on the facial to help out your scene. I treat the facial as a garnish. Make sure your body language reads well then top it off with the facial to make it look even better.

eek
09-28-2002, 05:41 PM
At the Framestore i would do the perfomance first, get the mood of the character right, feeling, emotion, timing.If you can get that working well, then lipping is just a bonus.

After acting, then i would lip-sync just the mouth, First just opening and closing the jaw then doing the phnomes, ooh ,eee, ahhh,shh,etc.Then finally expressions i.e. Emotion through eyes, eybrows, tilting of mouth, slight asymetry.

Eek

Ripley
09-28-2002, 10:36 PM
For me it depends on the framing of the camera. If it's a close up, or medium shot, I do the facial animation first, since the viewer will be watching the face (most likely the eyes) the most. In a wide shot I do all the character acting first, cuz its the body that's selling the emotions. Also in a wide shot you don't need as much detail in the face. (but you may have to make the mouth open shapes bigger to sell the talking from that distance).

A good plan is to listen to the dialogue a few times over and just get a feel of changing tones and emotions. Decide on your points to hit or exaggerate (sp?). Maybe do some stick drawings to help you plan.

Frinsklen
10-15-2002, 10:12 PM
I usually do the acting first.
You're supposed to be able to show emotions without any facial expressions. Once you've succeeded, you're "allowed" to animate the face. You'd begin with the eyes and then eyebrows and mouth. As goosh says, you can put a camera and parent it to the head. This is really useful in my opinion.

Some animators do the facial stuff first, cause it's kind of boring, and they want to finish that part as soon as possible. You can do either way, but I suggest doing the acting first.

Cheers

CGTalk Moderation
01-13-2006, 05:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.