PDA

View Full Version : first walk cyle.

dmonk
09-26-2002, 09:58 PM
It's only a gif sequence because I didn't want to make a quicktime.

It's still rough I haven't done any head animation and the arms swing across his front a lil too much.

Any Suggestions would really be appreciated.

http://clam.rutgers.edu/~tgore/images/cycle.gif

Rogue
09-27-2002, 04:34 AM
The first thing that struck me was that he looks off balance. He looks like he'd fall over backwards. Move his waist forward. Look at it this way, walking is really falling...you just move your feet to keep yourself from falling forward. Animate a little movement in the wrists as well. Also don't forget to lag the forearms (in time) behind the upperarms, and the lag the wrists a little behind the forearms. This will help to smooth it out and not look too stiff. Also, try to rotate the upper torso in the same forward direction as the upperarms at the extremes.

This may be just personal taste, but try and keep the head pointing forward in the direction he's walking. At the moment it appears to just follow torso. It'll give him a little more fluidity. You can also try offsetting the keyframes of the head a little bit.

Lastly, I know your intent wasn't to focus on the fingers, but bend then into a more natural pose anyways. :) It's a little distracting.

Nice start, welcome to the walk cycle club. :)

ACFred
09-27-2002, 05:29 AM
Looks like a good first pass. In addition to what Rogue said (and he was right on with his comments), take a look at the knees. They have a popping in the which is symptomatic of an IK stretching too far. By moving the hips forward a bit you'll help shorten the distance the IK handle is moving.

In the left heel, there seems to be a 2 frame gap between the time the heel touches down and the time it flops flat, making it look a bit jerky. As a blocking rule of thumb, I typically start the heel roll immediately following touchdown and take only 2 frames to put the foot flat on the ground (pacing will require increasing or decreasing the 2 frames, but it's a good place to start).

The arm swing is a bit unnatural. His arms move as if he has really big lats to contend with but he doesn't have them. He has clearance enough to move his arms in a more lateral direction, as opposed to across his body like that.

That's it for now. Can't wait to see how it improves!

Alec

dmonk
09-27-2002, 12:06 PM
the animation is a bit blocky because i droped frames for the gif animation.. thanks for the tips. I'm working on it.:wavey:

minboin
09-27-2002, 11:05 PM
I worked on his walk cycle for him. We're partners.

http://clam.rutgers.edu/~bmin/images/pilot_walk_small.gif

I have a run cycle too.

http://clam.rutgers.edu/~bmin/images/pilot_run_small.gif

Ripley
09-28-2002, 11:47 PM
The walk: My first impression is "jogging in outer space with gravity boots on". I kinda like that! But if you're aim is of this world, you guys need to work the weight a bit more. The feet still appear to pop into place, making them feel as if they're made of steel. The overall motion I think is too slow making it look slow motion almost. You might try speed it up to a natural pace. I'd like to see it bigger and maybe a side view. Anyway u guys can do that?
Might be easier to crit the details.

The run: still too slow I think, but the motion is alot more fluid. I like the hang time with the heavy step in this one, in a run I think that works. Can you do a side view here as well?

Lookin good

ACFred
09-29-2002, 12:24 AM
I'd suggest you make 30FPS QuickTime and/or AVI if you want to get the best input on your animation. If there are artifacts in the GIF animation that cause it to look like errors in technique then the criticisms are for naught.

jschleifer
09-29-2002, 02:48 AM
Heya!

for the walk, you've really gotta get the upper arms and the body into the walk.. try doing something super exagerated first.. really get everything moooovin.. don't be afraid.. go crazy! Get those hips moving! Get the arms swinging! Have the character lookin around.. thinkin "Yeah.. I'm bad.. you know it.. I"m an alien.. yeah.. that's right.. tell me somethin I don't know..".

If you give the character a little inner dialogue while it's walking.. you'll force yourself to give it more life.

-jason

dmonk
09-29-2002, 03:05 AM
Thanks everyone. we'll definitely take all of the comment into consideration. I'll make some changes and then post a link to a quicktime. none of these are realtime just some gif sequences i made in image ready. I'm not really an animator so this is a whole new thing for me to learn. Ill keep this thread going with updates as I find the time to make them.:wavey:

CGTalk Moderation
01-13-2006, 06:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.