PDA

View Full Version : New pc - mid price range notebooks...

billrobertson42
03-29-2005, 02:15 AM
Stupid question but here goes.

My PC is on the fritz, and if the refurb. power supply on order doesn't bring it back to life I'm going to drop kick it and finally get a notebook.

So I'm looking for at least a gig of RAM, better than average CPU, and better than average 3d capability and two years worth of warrenty for under $1500. That price range pretty much rules out the 17" models, and that's o.k as long as the screen is crisp.

Here are some thoughts on what is out there for components...

ATI v.s. NVidia -> nvidia seems to do much better in terms of open gl. I haven't found a system with the 6800 go yet that's in my price ranged (considering the cost of RAM and warrenty) so what's a good alternative?

AMD v.s. Intel -> No clue I stopped paying attention awhile back, there don't seem to be many AMD based notebooks though. Is that marketing or does intel do better in this space?

If AMD, which AMD?

If Intel, which one? Are the "M" processors any good?

I'm still pissed at Toshiba. We have an older smaller one of theirs and their stupid regen disk insists on formatting your hard drive. Screw that.

HP's AMD based model looks like it might work for me. I have no idea though what a geforce 440 go is and if it sucks or not.

Battery life is nice, but I can see me as more a of a lug & plug sort of user rather than somebody who need true portability.

Please help. Any advice would be appreciated.

Beamtracer
03-29-2005, 08:35 AM
AMD v.s. Intel -> No clue I stopped paying attention awhile back, there don't seem to be many AMD based notebooks though. Is that marketing or does intel do better in this space?

If AMD, which AMD?

Support AMD rather than Intel. Support competition rather than monopolies. AMD is first to market with a 64-bit notebook.

billrobertson42
03-29-2005, 12:48 PM
While I agree with the sentiment I think it's ultimately harmful to pick computers/software for political reasons. I use things because they're better. e.g. mozilla (firefox) eg. al.

CGTalk Moderation
03-29-2005, 12:48 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.