PDA

View Full Version : Do I Need Maya Cloth?

Russell
03-28-2005, 04:52 PM
Quick question: Do I really need Maya Cloth to model the clothes for my characters or can I just create clothing as a model. I figure that'd be harder to animate if you're going for a kind of a realistic look. Right now, I can't decide on modelling clothes and having this guy's arms just being attached to the clothes or modelling a body with arms and creating clothes for him with Maya Cloth or even Syflex. Any thoughts on this? I'd appreciate anyone's input. I'm banging my head on this one. Thanks in advance.

Russell

erwin1978
03-28-2005, 06:45 PM
I was thinking the same thing. I was fooling around with cloth for the last two days and the initial excitement in seeing my shirt move has worn off and replaced with confusion and madness. How practical is Maya Cloth real is? It seems incomplete. Why can't I simply model my clothing and turn it into "cloth" as opposed to stitching panels together. Just creating the panels and keeping my curves plane is tedious, and that's only for making a shirt.

Lyr
03-28-2005, 06:55 PM
I How practical is Maya Cloth real is? It seems incomplete. Why can't I simply model my clothing and turn it into "cloth" as opposed to stitching panels together.
You can indeed do this if you wish. I have used maya cloth extensively and I love that I can use it to make garments that closesly mirror thier real world counterparts. I suggest you use panels to construct your garments as the simulator has an easier time with it, and it will look more natural than just making it out of poly's. Not too mention the procedural nature of the panels offers you greater flexibility. If you are having problems keeping your curves planar group them under a poly plane and use that to position them.

Here is some of the stuff I am doing with maya cloth right now: http://pbmg.net/aaron/gobPics/GoblinLowRisePants.jpg

http://pbmg.net/aaron/gobPics/WithRobe.jpg

Lyr
03-28-2005, 06:59 PM
I forgot to add. The learning materials out there for cloth suck. So you are in for a lot of trial and error, but if you can work from real patterns, do. Also measure your model to make sure you are going to have enough material to fit the garment.

apoc519
03-28-2005, 07:09 PM
syflex is the way to go if you want to use poly geometry as cloth

kiaran
03-29-2005, 11:33 PM
syflex is the way to go if you want to use poly geometry as cloth

Indeed. Syflex is bleeding fast and solves polygon cloth objects WAY faster than Maya Cloth.

munky_quack
03-30-2005, 03:45 PM
I saw they used cloth for golems hair in LOTR: two towers. I am setting up a character with dreadlocks... could i use cloth to controll them? I don't know what syflex is, could this be an easier solution? any other suggestions?

Russell
03-31-2005, 01:08 AM
I haven't chimed in yet because I've been so busy with work and such. I think I really will give Cloth a try. I'll look into getting Syflex as well and compare both it and Maya Cloth in terms of my needs. I've started modelling my character without clothes in the event I go with the Syflex thing. :) Since you won't see him below the waist on screen, I'm debating on whether or not to model him all the way to his feet. This way, I won't have to worry about modelling pants or anything time consuming as that. Thanks for your time and help, y'all. I really appreciate all you've done for me.

Russell

CGTalk Moderation
03-31-2005, 01:08 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.