PDA

View Full Version : character: alien bob ( a simple cartoon alien...with guns!)

mushroomgod
09-26-2002, 05:43 PM
hi all.

heres a little character i finished a few weeks ago..

let me know what you think..

Stimpy
09-26-2002, 05:48 PM
cool..

i always dig characters without arms. though he ShOULD have a mouth methinks....

otherwise top notch

Taoizm
09-26-2002, 05:52 PM
I think he looks great. Although I'm trying to figure out how the belt stays on. :)

xtrm3d
09-26-2002, 06:26 PM
sweet
:drool:

Dave Black
09-26-2002, 06:39 PM
Oh, now that's just great. Really nice work, friend. Totally love your lighting. Great character too.

Just a quick question, did you paint that background? It looks really nice...I guess I'd love to know how you got that effect.

:buttrock:

pabbloz
09-26-2002, 07:00 PM
Really nice! I like it very much!
I think the render is hight quality.. well done... the smoke is very realistic.. great job!
I think the yellow touch is very nice in that pic :thumbsup:
What about a sheriff star in its chest? :D or... a rectangular small yellow glasses? :cool: :applause:

Are you going to animate it! :)

mushroomgod
09-26-2002, 09:46 PM
thanks all.

Stimpy.
i never realy thought he needed a mouth, always wanted him to be just a head with eyes...

Taoizm
lol, i dont know either:rolleyes:

3DZealot.
thanks, glad you like the lighting. The background as well as all the textures where created using painter.

pabbloz.
cool, i was thinking about adding somkind of logo/badge to his chest..i think i might now that somone else has surgested it :).
And yes i was thinking about animating him, not sure when though. If i do though it will be nice and simple ;)

thanks again all :thumbsup:

KazuyaMochu
09-26-2002, 10:52 PM
Espectacular! lovelly
great light

it a bit like rayman, but better. rayman is gay ;
great stuff!

cheers

Sez
09-26-2002, 11:02 PM
Looks really good! Love the clean and simple style. Can't wait to see him in action!

:thumbsup: :airguitar

Stimpy
09-26-2002, 11:16 PM
harrr... i was hoping for some ferocious grimace to go along with that gun... ;)

misterboogie
09-26-2002, 11:19 PM
mushroomgod:

You're alien rocks!! I can't wait to see this guy animated!!

What app are you using?

lildragon
09-26-2002, 11:45 PM
wallpaper 1600x1200 please ;)

[plugged]

salud,

lildragon
09-26-2002, 11:49 PM
ah found it on your site ;) Great site btw :thumbsup:

salud

mushroomgod
09-26-2002, 11:57 PM
Kazuya Mochu..
thanks, yeah i knew somone would mention rayman :)

Sez..

Stimpy..
i agree he does need a ferocious grimace, somtime next week ill work up some more renders with added grimace!

miyamoto..
all modeling and rendering done in maya.. rendered a 3500k wide
and textures done in painter.

lildragon. yeah, i sould have mentioned there was wallpaper on my site...opps. And its great you like it, thanks for the positive feedback on my site and thanks for the plug on the front page!
:thumbsup:

thanks all, glad everyone like the little fella:wavey:

Reality3D
09-27-2002, 12:56 AM
Very COOL smoke. Particles or geometry ?

Scott Wilkinson
09-27-2002, 01:03 AM
That is one of the greatest characters I have seen. Really great! I have always wanted to think up something like that. :applause:

TheDevil[DK]
09-27-2002, 01:08 AM
Damm Nice picture !!!

how did you create that nice smoke effect ????

say-g
09-27-2002, 01:57 AM
love it, love the guy in ur avatar too.

really nice atmosphere in that pic, and the smoke is sexy as padme, cant wait to see him move

ps: whys it that all aliens r called bob ? when i was younger and i drew an alien character i called him bob the alien :shrug:

lmc
09-27-2002, 02:11 AM
cool, simple and nice....keep post:applause: :thumbsup:

HapZungLam
09-27-2002, 02:37 AM
are you set with your design?

by all means, it is veryvery cute looking character. however, i think i would use the color other than grey or dark for the heads. it is not like blending in with the gun. hum... sure it does not have a problem if the hands really blend with the gun. But well, it just not standing out enough.

i can't think of anything else that can make this character even more rock.... it is very rock already!!:bounce:

Gilgamesh
09-27-2002, 03:13 AM
dude, thanks for the new desktop background. This pic is great. It is a perfect mix of cute, simple and badass. Nice render too. If you are planning on changing anything, I think his shirt and belt could use something, since the boots especially seem to have a lot more detail in comparison. I like the simple design of the character, though. And great pose. :buttrock:

bentllama
09-27-2002, 03:14 AM
Why does he need a belt when he doesn't wear pants?

:p

boxcrash
09-27-2002, 03:21 AM
Hey fire.............I mean mushroomgod, he turned out really nice.
Looks great, guns look good too.
You got a front page image thing too.:bounce: :applause:

Wavesphere
09-27-2002, 03:58 AM
:buttrock: :buttrock:

Could you post some desktop resolutions for this? It's just sweeeeeet :D

visualboo
09-27-2002, 04:02 AM
Nice and clean....

I just want to know your secrets for the smoke. Is it 3d, particles, 2d mapped? c'mon, spill the beans :D

visualboo
09-27-2002, 04:10 AM
Wavesphere, check his site. :beer:

Zeio
09-27-2002, 04:14 AM
I just wanted to say like many others have already said, awesome character.

I love everything about it, the pose, the textures, the character, the guns, the lighting etc.

Thanks for a nice clean wallpaper at 1600x1200 for once!

Also, I am curious, what program? Possibly some more images please?

-Zeio

Wavesphere
09-27-2002, 04:31 AM
Ah cool thanks for the ehads up visualboo ;)

PureFire
09-27-2002, 05:25 AM
i love it...excellent...especially the smoke

casperq
09-27-2002, 05:28 AM
:love: so cute and so cool, i like it!

gege2100
09-27-2002, 06:01 AM
woaow !! Cool render !!!:thumbsup:

dungbeetle
09-27-2002, 06:08 AM
hey~! cute character there!!nice rendering!!!
'wonder how you set the lightings?
fake GI? :bounce:

facial
09-27-2002, 07:55 AM
Well done :thumbsup:
maybe that shirt's color too outstand? I love your high quality redering. keep post.

mushroomgod
09-27-2002, 08:26 AM
oh crumbs.. im away from my computer for 8 hours and all of a sudden i got like 15 extra replys...eek..

but ill try to anser as meny coments as i can :)

firstly im think im going to disapoint alot of people...the smoke has been done in post, so its a bit of a cheat:( When it comes to animatiing him im thinking about redoing the smoke using the tutorial on wiros site, i tryed it a few days ago...seem to work realy well!

say-g,
all my characters are called bob,atleast for the first few days untill i think of somthing else, but i think ill keep the bob name the this guy.

HapZungLam.
i did play with green for a while, but it he just dident look "alien" enough.

bentllama, he left his pants in this spaceship??

boxcrash.
thanks m8 :)

Zeio.
all modeled and rendered using maya :)

dungbeetle.
three-point light setup, with one bright light behind him to create the rim effect.

facial.
yeah i agree, im not that happy with this shirt, i dont know if its the colour of the design..maybe it just lacks detail.

thanks alot guys..glad you all like him:wavey:

say-g
09-27-2002, 08:39 AM
yer ? cool, i do the same. just somthing about bob. :beer:

RobinOberg
09-27-2002, 08:41 AM
love the smoke,textures on his shoes, and the corona effect.
would love seeing him blow up some aliens, ala Rayman style :)

panta
09-27-2002, 08:44 AM
congratulation however... everything is great in that pic...

you was mentioning about a tutorial on smoke on wiro (?) site... can you post URL please?

:wavey:

sasquatch
09-27-2002, 09:49 AM
Awesome, awesome, awesome. I hope this gives everyone who has had problems with the maya renderer new hope.

One question: is the bloom on the highlights a post effect? or is it some natty shader, and if so, can you give me a little insight into the network for it?

Nice one.

sas

derErschaffer
09-27-2002, 10:09 AM
COOL....:applause:

PotatoHead
09-27-2002, 10:24 AM
:beer: really funny!! cool style, i luv it.

XanBob
09-27-2002, 10:57 AM
I really dig the style, specialy since it's so similar to my character Fred.... spooky!
MY CHARACTER (http://www.zenadsl5149.zen.co.uk/JPGS/FRED%2001.htm)
MY CHARACTER (http://www.zenadsl5149.zen.co.uk/JPGS/FRED%2003.htm)

baby
09-27-2002, 12:33 PM

MaDSheeP
09-27-2002, 12:52 PM
a three light setup? damn! :)

i think your character is just perfect... and i think Gilgamesh put is just right.. a perfect mix of cute, simple and badass.

Just an amazing character... great work! :)

J.Raider
09-27-2002, 12:57 PM
Id like to have a Wallpaper (1600x1200) too!!

Hope you have enough time to render it.

email: oliver.groneberg@gmx.de

Please go on with this little guy!!!

rsalonen
09-27-2002, 02:19 PM
Very nice, he got personality which is pretty rare these days.

Got a little question regarding the yellow car on your website, is it rendered with mayas renderer? if so, how's the light setup, and how did you make the car so shiny? I'm in the process of making a car too, but I need some tips on how to make the shaders look good.

visualboo
09-27-2002, 03:38 PM
J.Raider: Check his site

JeremyW
09-27-2002, 04:19 PM
Talk to us about the smoke, please...

ryguy
09-27-2002, 04:38 PM
Love the overall look and simplistic style. Awesome job!

~Ryan

mushroomgod
09-27-2002, 05:23 PM
eek...4 pages!...thanks guys :eek:

RobinOberg.
yeah! if i do do any animtion it will be super simple..maybe have him doing some kind of target practice, kinda like the bit in Men in Black where there shooting the cardboard cut-outs of evil aliens.

panta
goto the tutorials sections of (the great) wiros site..its at the bottom of that page. Im going to try and work up a way of getting the effect to animate at some point, not sure if its posible though..

sasquatch
thanks! the bloom effect was done in photoshop, i tryed doing it in maya but found that photoshop or aftereffects (for animation) gives far more control than any 3d app can give. Oh and im a big fan of you kevin spacy model btw

XanBob.
thanks your charcter looks super cool..im a big fan of blacked out eyes!

baby.
cheers ! :thumbsup:

Veqtue..
the honda was modeled in maya but rendered in 3dsmax using vray. To get the effects that i did with the render i rendered it using GI and HDRI, but to be honest im not that happy with the finished render. I like the modeling but im just not that keen on the render :( . If you want a good tutorial on what to do when rendering stuff like cars have a look here http://www.lewis.tomsoft.hr/

thanks again guys!

dedmann
09-27-2002, 06:09 PM
Coooollll little character you got there even better when you put life into it.

ever thought of making him a little holster to put those really big menacing guns of his?
as for the torso since what makes him rocks is his simplicity just slap on a displacement map that would make him look like his wearing a umpires plastron some sort of sci-fi urban look hehe!!!

keep it going cause even like it is im jealous i didnt think about it first!

Dedmann

:bounce:

Teyon
09-27-2002, 06:38 PM
I'm always amazed by the simplistic beauty of your characters. Designs that I could have (but never would have) thought of always seem to spring from you and then go off into amazing directions! My only comment would be to agree with Pabbloz and suggest a star badge...maybe one that says deputy so we can get you to make it a partner? (hint). Gosh, you always make me want to go create a toon... I think I'll go finish lucky, thanks for the inspiration!

AJ
09-27-2002, 09:22 PM
He's tough - he's small - he has no knees... Bob! :D

He's also quality of the highest order!

Everything about the little guy is perfect, everyone else has said everything else - so just one big cheer for Bob :scream: :D

God I really really love those guns! :love:

More the drooling crow brayed... MORE! :bounce:

mushroomgod
09-27-2002, 10:41 PM
dedmann.
i thought about somkind of holsters, but then i thought that if i animated him it would be more of a surprize if he just pulled the guns from out of nowhere.. like from behind his back :)

Teyon
thanks m8.. i know what you mean about designs you wish you thought of first, i do it all the time.. theres been countless time iv seen somthing and wished i thought of it first..but if we all thought about creating things exactly the same it would get very borring. Oh and i realy love your avitar btw :applause:

He's tough - he's small - he has no knees... Bob!

hehehe, thanks m8 :p

God I really really love those guns!

heres a wireframe screenshot of the guns for those who might be intrested..

xynaria
09-27-2002, 10:59 PM
woof!!!! :):bounce:

le_faya
09-27-2002, 11:13 PM
Really great, it's fun; just a little question: what did you use to do the gun's smoke?? I like this mixt beetwen cartoon and realistic ligth...:thumbsup:

:buttrock: Sorry for my english, i just have the "camping's level" :D

The-Conspiracy
09-28-2002, 03:13 AM
heh heh, thats too good

PNelson
09-28-2002, 04:30 AM
Nice character! Kinda reminds me of Jack Skellingtion from Nightmare Before Christmas!

See ya,
Philip Nelson

Book
09-28-2002, 06:26 AM
Cool stylized design. I dig it!

Zhalktis
09-28-2002, 06:40 AM
That's fantastic! Good work! :thumbsup:

Should I mention that it's on my desktop now? ;)

LyonHaert
09-28-2002, 08:39 AM
hurrah for disembodied appendages! gotta love'em :)

very nice work, hope to see 'im move sometime

OZ
09-28-2002, 09:20 AM
HE HE CUTE AND COOL!:cool:

Error323
09-28-2002, 11:42 AM
He looks so simple, yet sooo cool!!! Very nice job man!!! Love the G.I.

PEN
09-28-2002, 04:09 PM
Great character, I hope you animate him. I love character without arms and legs as well. I just worked on one recently. My only comment about them is it is sometimes difficult to get the pose you want if there is no referece as it where the elbows are. The pose you have works well though. The only way I found to fix this is to add a bit of a shoulder that can point in the direction of the elbow. I however think this would take away from the simplisity of your character. Will we see him moving??

phoenix
09-28-2002, 07:41 PM
simply i love it.,......man......i wish if that smoke was reallllllllllllllllllll3d............its excellent...........what soft u used for post work........

Shawn Woods
09-28-2002, 07:49 PM
Awesome style dude. I've just changed my wallpaper to this guy and will add you to my favourites on my website. :buttrock:

I use painter for backgrounds of my characters as well. I like the traditional mood it gives them. www.synectikos.com

You've set a very nice tone with your use of color and lighting. I haven't read through the 5 pages of posts on here so this may have been asked already. How many lights do you use in your lighting setup? Did you add the bloom effect right in the 3d package or in photoshop after?

You're character style is great, I checked out your website too and they're all awesome. Keep up the good work!

mushroomgod
09-28-2002, 07:51 PM
63 replys...wow thanks all..im stunned!

xynaria..
woof indeed!

le_faya..
its all a cheat, all done in post, but if your after a way of doing cool 3d smoke have a look at the tutorials area on wiros site.

The-Conspiracy.
thanks m8, and thanks for the guestbook entry!:bounce:

PNelson
Nightmare Before Christmas!!! cool..one of my favs

insect666.
hope you like it

PEN
thanks!
i compleatly agree. its realy tricky trying to figer out how to get the hands looking right when theres no elbow.
But i have now fixed that problem by giving him arms and legs, and turning them of in the render..seems to work.
cool sire btw, realy top stuff there! :thumbsup:

phoenix,
thanks!
all modeled and rendered in maya. And i used photoshop of the post work, just adjusted the contrast a bit and created the specular bloom..all realy simple

thanks again all..

phoenix
09-28-2002, 08:01 PM
simply the best

JJ3d
09-29-2002, 01:48 AM
Cool! Very nice! Great Work!
Anim please!!
:applause:

Xilica
09-29-2002, 02:37 AM
I LOVE the Smoke Effect!! :thumbsup:

Great Job.

RockinAkin
09-29-2002, 02:52 AM
Let me start of by saying how impressed I am with this character!

I too would like some more info about the lighting setup.
How many lights were used?
How were they setup/positioned?
Any GI, 3S, HDRI?
How did you create the bloom effect in photoshop?

Keep up the great work!
DivideByZero

P.S. GREAT work on the Honda model you have on your site!

AndrewBlodgett
09-29-2002, 05:28 AM
:applause: Sweeet -- can you show us more -- maybe some more cool poses or even animation? :bounce:

mushroomgod
09-29-2002, 03:33 PM
thanks guys!

Shawn Woods
thanks m8, just a basic 3 point light setup for the lights, with a very bright light behind him to create the rim effect.. and the bloom effect was all done in photoshop :)
great site btw, i will be adding you to my links page also :applause:

JJ3d and xilica
thanks guys, someday there may be an animation...but not anytime soon..

DivideByZero
the bloom effect is realy simple to do...
duplicate you render onto a new layer in photoshop, apply levels to that layer and adjust it untill you get alot of contrast, ie almost everything is black apart from the speculars, then apply a Gaussian Blur..the more blur the more glow :)
then turn that layer onto screen..hopfully it will give a specular bloom effect.

Mr D..
heres a new test render :p

baby
09-29-2002, 03:35 PM
the hair and the big nose

;)

http://babystudio.free.fr/goodies/back_ray_1024.jpg

http://babystudio.free.fr/anim/laray.avi

Romey-Rome
09-29-2002, 05:11 PM
I would like to welcome Bob to my desktop. :)

Solesurvivor
09-29-2002, 08:38 PM
very very nice, i hope one day i will too have a charactre like this :thumbsup:

AJ
09-29-2002, 10:39 PM
Now, if he takes his shoes off... can he stand up? :p

You should model his spaceship (go on!) :D

pop
09-30-2002, 05:35 AM
Hey

What a beautiful piece of work!!!

What about a sidekick for the wee man? Like a dog alien? Do it in the same style, main body and paws, no legs?

Pop

funnydoodle
09-30-2002, 12:59 PM
Any udgrade?!:applause:

Sez
09-30-2002, 01:04 PM
We are begging you for an up-date! hehehe!
You must have something new to show us?

:bounce: :thumbsup:

dedmann
09-30-2002, 01:19 PM
I gotta agree with pop since its really shows your havin fun with that little creation of yours Mushroomgod! what about a sidekick?
some sort of "out of this world small creature".

love your style keep it up! :applause:

....and your right about the holsters even cooler if he draws his weapons out of nowhere real fast!!!

mushroomgod
09-30-2002, 03:01 PM
thanks all...

i have a few ideas about a posible sidekick..so ill be doing some drawings tonight and if all gos well.....;)

as for an update... have a look on page 5...

or better yet click this link...

http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=22491&perpage=15&pagenumber=5

only a test render..but i think it looks a bit more intresting

thanks again all..
im stunned this had got to 6 pages now!!!!

Frinsklen
09-30-2002, 05:01 PM
I can't add anything here I think...
Really nice, great character design and lighting.

It won't be easy for you to show his facial expressions, since he has no mouth or pupils. Anyway...
ANIMATIONS!!!

PS: so, he's called Bob? haha, just like the guy on my avatar.
:D

CGTalk Moderation
01-13-2006, 05:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.