PDA

View Full Version : L_glass trouble

xDETOXx
03-28-2005, 10:51 AM
Comrades, Iím having a bit of trouble getting some spots of absolute black out of my L_glass renders. Iím using 6.5, some FG, a little GI, and a caustic or two. Tried all kinds of different combinations of shader settings, environment maps, refraction depth, and countless toggles, sliders, and test renders; all too no avail. I noticed similar things came up in an older thread on the subject, but didnít see any solution. Someone please tell me it was user error and how I could fix it.

Thanks a bunch.

Peace.

Ps: how do you get some sweet colored shadows with this shader?

Ze PilOt
03-28-2005, 12:25 PM
Comrades, Iím having a bit of trouble getting some spots of absolute black out of my L_glass renders. Iím using 6.5, some FG, a little GI, and a caustic or two. Tried all kinds of different combinations of shader settings, environment maps, refraction depth, and countless toggles, sliders, and test renders; all too no avail. I noticed similar things came up in an older thread on the subject, but didnít see any solution. Someone please tell me it was user error and how I could fix it.

Thanks a bunch.

Peace.

Ps: how do you get some sweet colored shadows with this shader?

Looks like you have not enough refraction depth in your settings (renderglobals). These kind of objects need a LOT of ray depth to pass trough. If you set it already very high (like 100, just to see, dont forget to move the max depth too), so it's maybe a bug in the shader.

If a ray can't go trought the object it will return the environnement. If there is not environnement, it will return black (well, that's the behaviour with mib_dielectric, the base of l-glass). So put a environnement to avoid the problem.

For the colored shadow, I dont know if L-glass has a shadow support. If it's the case, just plug l glass in the shadow shader port of the shading group (will work only with raytrace and deep shadows, not shadow maps)

xDETOXx
03-28-2005, 06:15 PM
That render had the samples set to 100, which seemed to me like a heck of a lot. When I upped it to 200, it fixed the problem; SWCHWEET! Sometimes I miss the most obvious things.

Thanks for the reply.

CGTalk Moderation
03-28-2005, 06:15 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.