PDA

View Full Version : How do I make scrolling text? Plz help.

nanogirl
03-28-2005, 09:44 AM
Hello, I hope one of you can help me out. Just so you know my level of experience here, I'm a complete newbie to the After Effects program, I just got it yesterday. I got it to try and resolve a problem I"m having with an animaiton project. Here is the background info: I have been working on a scene inside of 3dstudio max, it's a hand that has a computer screen on it. This computer screen changes, to display different texts (or screens w/ texts). In the first few screen changes, I've had no problem. I have been opening my material inside of Photoshop, and writing the text on the actual material and apply it to my 3Ds hand model inside of max. I can just show the screen as animating by changing the material, this part has worked fine. My problem is for a couple of the text screens they need to be scrolling on the hand, which I obviously can't do in Photoshop, so I was hoping I could do this in After Effects. But I don't see a pre-generated text animation for scrolling. Is there a way I can do this? I need to import my .jpg into After Effects and then have animated scrolling text (just a normal line by line scroll) that is visible on my .jpg. so that it looks like the scrolling text is on the hand image and I can save it as an animation. Can anyone help me with this? I appreciate it, thank you, Gina

www.nanogirl.com (http://www.nanogirl.com)
http://maxanimation.blogspot.com/

Ian Jones
03-29-2005, 04:56 AM
Well, I think you'll have problems mapping this texture to the hand in 3D but to produce a scrolling text anim with afterFX it depends on what you want exactly. I have attached an example file with a text layer and effect > distort > offset which is a simple solution. If you want a really long line of scrolling text that doesn't repeat, then thats a little more work. Let me know if that helps.

nanogirl
03-29-2005, 06:11 AM
Thanx Ian. I took a look at your file. Yes, scrolling like this, but instead of sideways, up and down, like credits (but not credits). I notice when I pull the sides it actually stretches the font out. If you could possibly help me figure out the up and down scrolling, is there also a way to have the text just cover a center area?

As far as the material in 3ds, I can figure it out if I can get passed this point! I just need to pull a jpg of the hand material that I have and have it extend in length as long as the scrolling text takes.

Is there a way that I can pull in my jpg, animate the scrolling text on the center of the picture, and also have one of my other photoshop jpgs that have text on it, in the background so that I could see through my current image as a way to line up my old text with the new animated scrolling text? You know like when you are in Photoshop and you have layers, and you set the opacity to 50% so that you can see the other layer and make them line up?

Gina~

nanogirl
03-29-2005, 09:25 AM
Your text cute by the way! Gina

nanogirl
03-29-2005, 09:25 AM
was cute

G`

artisanfx
03-29-2005, 09:35 PM
if you using after effect 6.5 then just make a solid layer and select from effect/text/ basic text
write what you want to write or just copy from any doc/txt document your text into this basic text effect and then just give 2 keys start and end in position "Y" thats all :)
hope that helps

CGTalk Moderation
03-29-2005, 09:35 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.