PDA

View Full Version : Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah! You dumba** compiler!!!

AnimaVanquisher
03-28-2005, 05:07 AM
I hate Dev c++. I bought the seven books c++ for dummies in one book that came with dev c++. The first program it makes you create requires no typing. You just load up the project creator, and hit compile & run. But I still end up getting 70 ERRORS. Even though it is built-in text. What is wrong!!! Please help. Every compiler I have used screws up in some way. Since most c++ tutorials all need compilers for hands on learning, this just sucks. Again, please help. I would really apreciate(sp?) it.

Firelark
03-28-2005, 08:20 AM
Have u set up the library path correctly? If u get errors when running sample code it could mean that u ither dont have a proper library path to the required libraries (or headers), also make sure u actually have the libraryfiles and headerfiles that is required. For example if its OpenGL ur trying to compile u need all the libraryfiles and headers to be able to compile it. Also when u are sure that u have these files u need to include the libraries in the linking process. For example if u r trying to compile OpenGL in Dev C++; in the compiler options, under passing comands to the linker option u sould have something like

"-lglut32 -lopengl32 -lglu32 -lglaux -lglut -lgle"

-l followed by (no space) the libraryname to include it in the linking process.
-l for telling the linker that it is a library u want to pass.

If u r a total beginner I suggest that u start from the very beginning with "hello world" examples, compiling more advanced code requires that u know what happends in the compiling process and know what the compiler needs to work correctly. Anyways I hope it will work out for u.

-Karl

AlpineMan
04-06-2005, 01:56 AM
but wouldn't it make sense that a C++ book for dummies would walk you through setting up libraries and includes?

I think my friend you bought a poor set of books.

nurcc
04-06-2005, 08:06 AM
Well, I wouldn't necessarily say that the books that you bought are bad - it's probably some simple gotcha that they didn't happen to include. I think every programmer has a few of those starting out, especially now that the programming languages and environments are so much more complicated. For example, the book I learned how to program from used single-letter names for all the variables. It was a revelation to me that you could possibly get more than 26 variables at a time.. :).

Anyhow, in order to help fix your problem, it'd be quite helpful if you could tell us the version of the compiler you're using, post the source code, and what the error messages are. Chances are that it's just a little error, like perhaps lack of unicode support or something. Maybe posting a link to the exact file you're trying to compile would be handy as well.

Dmytry
04-11-2005, 10:44 AM
Well, I wouldn't necessarily say that the books that you bought are bad - it's probably some simple gotcha that they didn't happen to include. I think every programmer has a few of those starting out, especially now that the programming languages and environments are so much more complicated. For example, the book I learned how to program from used single-letter names for all the variables. It was a revelation to me that you could possibly get more than 26 variables at a time.. :).

Anyhow, in order to help fix your problem, it'd be quite helpful if you could tell us the version of the compiler you're using, post the source code, and what the error messages are. Chances are that it's just a little error, like perhaps lack of unicode support or something. Maybe posting a link to the exact file you're trying to compile would be handy as well.

Exactly... i also think so. I remember I had some similar things too, and somehow sorted 'em out. Small little mistake with settings could easily produce throusands of scary-looking errors. Probably some options or something is mis-set. Most likely something with linker. In summary, just post list of errors, most likely it is something simple.

CGTalk Moderation
04-11-2005, 10:44 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.