PDA

View Full Version : SSS shaders cause crashing

leigh
03-28-2005, 01:00 AM
This can't just be happening to me... both at work, and at home on my own license of XSI, I suffer constant crashing when trying to use any of the SSS shaders that come with XSI 4.2.

Does anyone know a solution for this??

JDex
03-28-2005, 01:13 AM
I haven't experienced said crashing... FND and ADV licenses... may I ask if it is happening in very simple, from scratch scenes?

leigh
03-28-2005, 01:17 AM
It happens on anything from a cube to a more complex model. I have tried the mi_SSS ones that come with XSI, as well as the Diffusion one by the bigmuh, and yet it's actually impossible for me to make any progress because it always, always starts crashing. Sometimes it crashes just when adding the node to the Render Tree, or else it'll crash when I try using the Render Region tool, or even a standard render.

This happens at home with my Advanced license, as well as at work on our Essentials licenses. This has ALWAYS been my experience of SSS and XSI and it's driving me crazy.

JDex
03-28-2005, 01:27 AM
Hmmm... okay. First things first... Hardware? Vcard Driver? OS (w/ SP?)

Seriously Leigh... never had a problem with mi_SSS or Diffusion, at least crashing related.

leigh
03-28-2005, 01:34 AM
Thanks for your help, Jdex.

The three machines I have tried unsuccessfully to use these shaders on:

- dual 3Ghz Xeon, 2Gb RAM, Matrox Parhelia 256Mb card with the latest drivers, XP Pro (SP1)
- dual 2.8Ghz Xeon, 2Gb RAM, Nvidia Ti4400 128Mb card with the latest drivers, XP Pro (SP1)
- dual 250 Opteron, 3.5Gb RAM, Nvidia Quadro 4 980XGL with the latest drivers, XP Pro (SP2)

:banghead:

JDex
03-28-2005, 02:06 AM
Okay... Matrox Cards and XSI do not a happy user make (at least as recent reports go)... but this sounds unrelated. The Ti4400 is not officially supported... and both could have HT enabled on the processors, which may be a problem... but for now lets focus on the dual opteron w/ quadro (lemme guess, that's the machine at work, that you can't get access to right now, right?)

The first glaring overall potential for trouble is Latest Drivers.

Go to softimage.com and find the certified drivers page (and go download the current certified drivers)... if this does not help...

Rename the users folder to reset the preferences... you can pretty easily recall them later if this is unsucceful in resolving the crashing.

Next I guess you should see if anti-virus, anti-spyware types of processes could some how be interfering with the mental ray process. Disconnect from the web and disable these types of programs to see if you get any improvment...

There are many other things, but if the Dual opteron is available now, try these things first.

MJV
03-28-2005, 06:03 AM
Hi. I have uploaded a sample scene that works here. Maybe it helps.

http://www.mvpny.com/SkimMilkSampleMV.zip

http://www.mvpny.com/SkimMilkMV10.jpg

wmendez
03-28-2005, 06:52 AM
Leigh,

Is the script editor recording any error messages?

neutronic
03-28-2005, 11:53 AM
jdex.. please.... :D

MJV, thanks for the scene, no problems here too.
(but where's the sss ??!)

and..to be true miSSS, not really stable in general,
comes with incredible limitations, and misss_fast
on maya is also really a pain, just take a look at
maya rendering section.

/n

MJV
03-28-2005, 02:28 PM
Nuetronic, it's the skim milk shader.

ximage
03-28-2005, 04:27 PM
it was crashing on me with that skim milk shader, sss tends to crash in XSI when u have hard shadows on u can't use area shadows and u must have the shadow tab enable in the render options, hopefully this helps! just use shadow maps! no area! :thumbsup:

sweeney

leigh
03-28-2005, 04:51 PM
Wow, very helpful responses! Thanks a lot everyone!!! :thumbsup:

I am currently at work and very busy with some stuff, so I cannot check this right now, but if I get a chance to later in the day I'll try out the test scene (thanks MJV) and also try some diagnostic tests and such... if I don't get a chance at work, I'll just do it when I get home tonight!

Thanks again everyone! I'll let you all know how it turns out!!!

JDex
03-29-2005, 10:14 AM
jdex.. please.... :D

Please what? :)

leigh
03-29-2005, 03:34 PM
Okay, I tried at work again yesterday (on the dual 2.8Ghz machine), and still got crashing. Using the Render Region tool is a sure way of crashing, but it also crashed when I tried to connect the Skim Milk node to the other node in the Render Tree.

I got home pretty late last night and was really busy with an article so I didn't get a chance to try it on the Opteron, or to check my drivers, or to try MJV's scene. I am hoping to get a chance to do that tonight....

THere just aren't enough hours in the day to get things done!!

ximage
03-29-2005, 03:40 PM
did u try the shadow tab like i said?

JDex
03-29-2005, 03:41 PM
THere just aren't enough hours in the day to get things done!!

Don't we all know that. Let us know the results... there is so many things it could be, but will get ya up and running.

leigh
04-01-2005, 03:11 AM
Okay guys, sorry for the late reply on this, this week has been I N S A N E.

Sad news... I've tried EVERYTHING suggested, and tried the sample file but nothing works. Crash. Crash. Crash. Here and work, and at home. I can generally seem to connect the nodes without a problem now, but if I try a Render Region or a standard Render All Passes, boom! Bye bye XSI, back to the desktop. It happens every time.

I guess I will give up on it. What can I say, I am really disappointed.

But thanks a lot to everyone for their advice and for trying to help. I do appreciate it.

:cry: :cry:

wmendez
04-01-2005, 04:17 AM
Did you noticed if the script editor logged any messages? Right before you render a region open up the script editor and see if it records any error when the region is drawn.

You can also have the script editor save a log file if you enable it in the preferences. This will help troubleshoot the problem a bit more. Another thing is right after the crash if you go to Start>Programs>Softimage products click on XSICAB and follow the instructions, this will generate a report about the crash and will mail it to Softimage.

Levitateme
04-01-2005, 01:39 PM
Leigh, have you tried using the Diffusion shader? i skimmed this thread and saw no mention of it. if not, you should really give that a go.

http://animus.brinkster.net/index.html

leigh
04-14-2005, 03:39 AM
Sorry for the delayed reply here... been terribly busy!

Okay, the good news is that I managed to get the Diffusion shader that Levitateme mentioned to not crash XSI. It seemed to be some workgroup issue - I hadn't set one up and since I have now created one, it now longer crashes XSI when I load it.

However...

It doesn't work! I mean, I was playing around with it at work today with absolutely no problem whatsoever. But now, when I have come home, I've loaded up XSI and done EXACTLY the same thing as I was doing at work, except all I am getting is a black render here at home, whereas at work I was getting a lovely diffused cube.

Is this shader compatible with XSI 4.2 Advanced? At work I am using Essentials and having no problem. Maybe it is not compatible with my Advanced license?

leigh
04-14-2005, 03:43 AM
DAMMIT! Now it's crashing XSI again!! :banghead:

Is my XSI cursed?? Perhaps I should reinstall it? I cannot understand why I am having so many problems.

I looked at the error report, but unfortunately Windows doesn't let me copy all the piles of text in it and it's very difficult to see what the error messages are when they're surrounded by loads and loads of numbers and other crap.

leigh
04-14-2005, 04:07 AM
I installed the shader again and now it's working again...

But for how long...

JDex
04-14-2005, 04:48 AM
Hopefully forever. :shrug::D

jason-slab
04-14-2005, 02:38 PM
hmmm interesting, i've been using the Diffusion shader for a project i'm working on(for the last week). today i tried to set it up with the skimMilk shader and my machine keeps crashing to.

strange thing though, i'v been playing with MJV sample file for a while, it hasn't crashed yet.

|jason

Groovedog
04-14-2005, 02:58 PM
I looked at the error report, but unfortunately Windows doesn't let me copy all the piles of text in it and it's very difficult to see what the error messages are when they're surrounded by loads and loads of numbers and other crap.

Did you follow wmendez suggestion and save a log file using the script editor? Can you attach to another reply? Perhaps someone can make sense of it..

leigh
04-14-2005, 07:30 PM
I never managed to save a log file for some reason. However, the reason for the problem was because the shader wasn't being installed properly. You have to make sure that the diffusion.dll file is in the same folder as the spdl that you install, or else it has no shader lib to link to, which seems to be what was causing the crash.

I still haven't solved why the skim milk and jade shaders are crashing though.

At least Diffusion is working! And what a great shader it is! I am having such fun with it :D

http://leigh.cgcommunity.com/images/brute_002.JPG

Memodin
04-15-2005, 12:14 PM
That's realy cool.
And i'm glad, you solved the problem.(Also its good to see you working with xsi. its realy powerful. And maybe some great texturing tutorials may come soon from you about xsi.)

dmonk
04-15-2005, 01:07 PM
Hey leigh,

What setting did you end up using for you test render?

I'm using the diffusion shader too, but he ends up looking like a big chocolate bar.

http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/9/5684/5684_1113563208_large.jpg

StephanD
04-15-2005, 01:22 PM
I never used any plugins/addons although this one got me interested but I'm having problems with install/use.

Briefly,I dragged it onto a viewport and XSI added it but now I can't find how to drop/use it into my render tree.

I can't seem to find it when I browse through the huge Xsi directory.

Did I install it correctly?How do I load it in my tree?

Is it because I use foundation?

Thanks

Strang
04-15-2005, 01:34 PM
on your right hand side of the dialog box when searching for the shader.. look for paths button. and under addons section you should see diffusion. i find it that way.

i think the installation of shaders could really benefit from making a small installed shader menu in the RT. either that or single installed shader destination.. the paths option is fast but just 1 folder for them would be nice and easy too

StephanD
04-15-2005, 02:27 PM
Do I feel dumb?...Yes? :)

StephanD
04-15-2005, 04:47 PM
DMonk:Your problem could be related to the size of the object,either too big or small...I'm going to give the shader a whirl myself now.

leigh
04-15-2005, 04:51 PM
Hey leigh,

What setting did you end up using for you test render?

I'm using the diffusion shader too, but he ends up looking like a big chocolate bar.

http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/9/5684/5684_1113563208_large.jpg

I'll post my render tree this weekend for you! :)

CGTalk Moderation
04-15-2005, 04:51 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.