PDA

View Full Version : Macintosh Maya API programming?

sparaig
03-27-2005, 10:55 PM
Hi, I'm new to Maya, MEL, and so on, but I've been a programmer of one kind or another for about 20+ years. I'm trying to create a Maya Plug-in (more about that in another thread) for the Mac and I'm wondering: is CodeWarrior the only IDE supported on the Mac, or can you use the free developer tools bundled with MacOS X?

I can get CW (used to use it ages ago), but was wondering if I had to shell out $$ or if there was a way to use gcc on MacOS X.

Thanks in advance.

Robert Bateman
03-28-2005, 12:47 AM
it should be OK with just gcc. Works on linux anyway......

sparaig
03-28-2005, 06:52 AM
it should be OK with just gcc. Works on linux anyway......

Yep, found the API docs and Lo! they gave the beginning MacOS X programming instructions (double-click on a sample project file, build it, and load the plug-in).

The horror of it all. ;-)

Now, to figure out how to connect Maya and Mathematica and use Mathematica to define Maya geometry. Not sure how easily Mathematica will connect to a Maya plug-in, but we'll see...

Thanks.

Robert Bateman
03-28-2005, 01:43 PM
Now, to figure out how to connect Maya and Mathematica and use Mathematica to define Maya geometry. Not sure how easily Mathematica will connect to a Maya plug-in, but we'll see...
Thanks.

well, if it's possible to write a plugin for mathematica, you could use MLibrary to load the Maya API into mathematica. Simple then specify the geometry and use MFileIO::saveAs(). Thats probably the first thing i'd look into anyway....

Since i know little about mathematica i'm not sure if that would be possible. If there is a command line interface to it, then i guess its pipes and system() to the rescue....

sparaig
03-28-2005, 06:11 PM
well, if it's possible to write a plugin for mathematica, you could use MLibrary to load the Maya API into mathematica. Simple then specify the geometry and use MFileIO::saveAs(). Thats probably the first thing i'd look into anyway....

Since i know little about mathematica i'm not sure if that would be possible. If there is a command line interface to it, then i guess its pipes and system() to the rescue....

Its possible to do just about anything within Mathematica. I can launch Maya from Mathematica, but not sure how to do the pipes thing (UNIX is more than a tad hazy for me).

For examples of simple graphics stuff generated with Maya (also think about dynamics, FX and shaders prototyped with this thing):

http://gallery.wolfram.com/

CGTalk Moderation
03-28-2005, 06:11 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.