PDA

View Full Version : Anyone worked on PSP?

rakmaya
03-27-2005, 10:55 PM
Hey, any of the developers here programmed anything on PSP? I was wondering how much of the development frame-work is related to Playstation 1? I am pretty much tired of pc/xbox programming, so any info would be great.

AdamAtomic
03-29-2005, 04:38 AM
Hey - I haven't worked on it yet, but I can give you some loose info from the talk I went to at the Austin Game Conference last year. Here are a few of the things I remember:

1 - Uses an all new API that is very similar to OpenGL.
2 - Can do vertex weighting in hardware.
3 - Has at least 1 VPU (think off-video-card matrix multiplier - VERY handy!)
4 - Supports display lists that can have pointers to other lists.

Also, the dev kits are around $7500 i think? I guess that is average for a console dev kit though.

rakmaya
04-01-2005, 04:50 PM
Thanks a lot. That makes the dev some what easier. 7.5K is not bad at all for a product that big.

killah
04-08-2005, 06:55 PM
Hi! I haven't programmed the PSP (I'd love to) but I've programmed PS2 for a while and looking at the specifications given by Adam Atomic, they have some common properties, for example the VPU, the PS2 has two VPU, and well... they're very handy as Adam Atomic said, very powerful (as I say) but also a little hard to learn when you begin (I've started programming the Vector Units in assembler and... phew!).
I suppose that the PSP's VPU programming language will be similar to PS2's VPU programming language, so if you want to take a look you can go to -> http://playstation2-linux.com (http://playstation2-linux.com/) or http://ps2dev.org (http://ps2dev.org/) , there are lots of interesting examples and tutorials (they aren't using professional dev kits but they're useful anyway). I don't know if it helps...

Good bye!

rakmaya
04-11-2005, 05:38 PM
Thanks again. I have done some work in PS2 as well. Not so much (most is xbox). I see where psp stands now. Good thinking by Sony. Finally one can create Cell-shaded or normal games for handheld. My only complain was of the memory. I guess it is still expensive as ever for them.

billrobertson42
04-29-2005, 02:18 AM
What do they gain by charging $7500 for a developer kit?

Relic
05-02-2005, 01:55 PM
Probably just the amount set to show that you're serious about development of a product with the SDK

billrobertson42
05-03-2005, 01:25 AM
Yeah, that would be about the only thing that I could think of.

Kind of a shame really, it sounds like it would be a fun platform to hack on.

Magallanes
05-05-2005, 02:51 AM
The SDK are not sold to anyone. In fact the sdk is not in the catalog. The sdk is only for certificated partners, for example Capcom, Taito, Atari and such.

Many homebrew designers are working with another tools (linux for example) or directly with a illegal copy of this sdk.

And the SDK is only the starting point..

rakmaya
05-05-2005, 04:20 AM
The sdk is sold to professional game developers. I think it is only a matter of months before homebrew brings in their side of the work to decent level. It should be a fun/hobby for many to do things on this. GBA was very fun in its way.

Magallanes
05-05-2005, 01:42 PM
The sdk is sold to professional game developers. I think it is only a matter of months before homebrew brings in their side of the work to decent level. It should be a fun/hobby for many to do things on this. GBA was very fun in its way.

I don't understand why people made homebrew.

They cannot sell the game and need a lot of time and knownedge to work on it. I think that homebrew developments can spend less time and less effort making a pc/palm/ppc/mac/linux game and earn $$$$ with it.

killah
05-05-2005, 01:58 PM
Homebrews are useful for people (students for example) who want to learn console programming without purchasing a professional SDK, selling the product isn't the main objective in their case...

Bye

rakmaya
05-06-2005, 01:19 PM
If you love programming, then there is no end to your liking. That is what I call a true programmer. He loves his art and wants to extend it. Making homebrew is all for art and the money is only the second issue. AND is most consoles you can sell the game you create in console if it is homebrew. Usually, when people call something Homebrew, it means by not using the SDK.

I work on xbox at my work place. I love to program Game Cube. I have GC just for that at home. I love that system. It just comes from my interest to know more. nothing more than that.

I don't understand why people made homebrew.

You will when you get to certain level:)

To me money is never the issue. I will program for ANYONE as long as it is for Game Cube or PS2 and they can provide me with food and shelter:thumbsup:

Magallanes
05-06-2005, 04:26 PM
I'm a programmer since 85' (9 years old) and started programming in 8bits machines cause 16bits o 32bits machines are expensive for a kid. Programming in a 8bits machines was a lot of fun,old days was good but not more, now a programmer must known java, vb, sqlserver, oracle, mysql,cisco, linux, windows, php, asp and such, all focused in the mainstream of the business world. In fact almost all jobs (about programming) are related with it.

And for games?. There are programmers for game, tough they are fews (really fews), many earn nothing or earn a little salary, only a fews and very selective earn enough for living. And sadly, many new projects need more artist that programmers.

IMHO A serious programmer implicate a year or more of study and time spend. If you want to made a game (i'm on it) then you must decided in the architecture, can be a branch with non-standard and reduced market like the consoles or you can choice a branch of a more standard architecture (i.e. Windows, Linux and in minor scale palm, pocketpc and cellphones), not only make a game and having fun also learning a lucrative technology (imho a good bet).

Even more, for example when you read a "need programmer with experience in psp", this means ONLY that they need to someone that worked in a published game (a reail one). Working in a homebrew sadly means nothing (with counted exceptions).

rakmaya
05-06-2005, 06:12 PM
You are not getting the point of homebrew. People who create Hombrew are creating for the love of programming and learning the platform. Homebrew people don't care much to say they know a lot of the console they program in. They don't care about the money or future job either. They just wanted to learn and program the architecture.

It is good that you know all that languages and applications and are wiiling to learn more and more. I am also like that and a lot of people are like that. I love to invest my time to learn architectures for the love of it. No one puts that in the resume for that matter either. I started of with ARM, x86, PPC, done some in PS2, some in GC and programmed propriotory bios and all that only for love of learning the architecture and putting something on it. Now, I work on xbox and pc(x86/ppc). But I can never say all that knowledge was a waste of my time.

For some people it is all about money and benefits and for some it is all about just learning it and for others it is about just knowing it. Either way you look at it learning is fun. If one thing that taught of all these years of working is that one way or another it will all come to use.

CGTalk Moderation
05-06-2005, 06:12 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.