PDA

View Full Version : Zbrush Displacement Map Problem

Grashupfa
03-27-2005, 06:27 PM
Hi

I recently bought Zbrush2 and now i try to use the Displacement Map (its from Zbrush Central) on the Model( also from Zbrush Central). But there are some errors and i dunno what causes them....
Please help me cause I want to go on and work with the amazing Zbrush Program. Thank you.

...the funny thing is that some areas are correctly displayed (the neck) and some are not.. :argh:

RiBRaT
03-27-2005, 09:00 PM
Hi Grashupfa,

Looks like you need to flip the displacement map vertically. Try that and see how you go.

Regards,
RibRaT

www.pixol.com.au (http://www.pixol.com.au)

Grashupfa
03-29-2005, 03:13 PM
Hi

Thx for ur reply...but that didn't help :sad: ...well, i attached the image rendered with the vertical-flipped Map....
Any other suggestions that might work?

Grashupfa
03-30-2005, 03:54 AM
Nobody knows a solution for my problem?
Maybe any tutorials which could help me?
How do you guys do that`? I mean, if u want to go from maya to zbrush and vice-versa?
Please help me, i really like Zbrush but if i can't combine it with Maya its useless for me.

lovisx
03-30-2005, 04:00 AM
looks like you have to keeping flipping stuff, your uvs aren't matching up

Grashupfa
03-30-2005, 05:35 PM
hm...well, i flipped the map all directions but it doesn't work..well, i tried my best...thx for help, i'll keep searching for a good tutorial until i figure it out :D

Grashupfa
04-02-2005, 10:59 AM
no matter which tutorial i make, i always get those 2 error messages in my mental ray output window:

RCFG 0.5 warn 542002: angle between normal and geometry normal more than 90 degrees
SURF 0.2 warn 392010: surface "ZBrushPolyMesh3D2Shape", displacement shader returned values up to 0.338861, clipped to 0.251767

I dunno what it could mean, but maybe u guys know? Please help me :wip:

poly-phobic
04-02-2005, 02:45 PM
post a pic of ur settings for the subD head approximation editor for MR

Grashupfa
04-02-2005, 07:16 PM
yep... i attached them (both, subd and displacement)

i tried many settings for those windows...dunno if there is the problem... :shrug:

Karlfucious
04-05-2005, 03:16 AM
To me it looks like your uvs some how got out of whack. I tried it here and it worked perfectly. You may want to try and re download the sample and try with a fresh one. Another thing that you need to do is make shure that you set it to rgb instead of gray but that shouldnt cause the problems that you are having.

Grashupfa
04-06-2005, 04:20 PM
Well...i tried it another time...and it didn't work...but i'll post an exact workflow what i do when i am at home... ty for ur replies till now

Grashupfa
04-06-2005, 04:37 PM
1. Download File
2. open tiff file in photoshop (color managment off)
a. switch image to rgb-mode
b. save it
3. Open maya
4. import the head(mesh)
5. go to hypershade, create a new lambert, in its displacement map section i added a file note
6. include the tiff map(rgb) in the file note...set alpha gain to 12 and alpha offset to -6
7. assign the material to the mesh
8. add a mental ray displacement approximation (settings shown above)
9. add a mental ray subdivision approximation (settings shown above)
10. Render Mesh in Mental ray (result -> attached)

hm...i did it exactly as i described above...maybe i have missed a step? Is there something wrong? Please help-> now it should be no problem for u pro's :D

poly-phobic
04-06-2005, 04:57 PM
u also need to change the image to 8 bit in PS after u turn it into rgb image.
your alpha gain is way too high.
try 1 and -.5 or 2 and -1
select the subD object and turn off "feature disp mode" in the shape node of the object [listed in the displacement pull down menu]
u dont "need" to add the MR approximators for it to work; try without

Grashupfa
04-07-2005, 02:12 PM
hm..thx for ur reply ...but i also tried ur suggestions and they didn't work either....what else can i do? it could be an uv-problem, but how do i get it? what can i do against that? could it also be an image-converting problem?...

Well...i think some of the areas are correctly mapped (but i dunno exactly, never had the final result) What do u say? :shrug: (green line should be okay, red are problem areas)

Please could u guys describe what exactly u did that the image file was suitable? Here is the link: test file (http://206.145.80.239/zbc/showthread.php?t=20310&highlight=Test+head)

Karlfucious
04-08-2005, 04:22 PM
Acually you need to keep it 16 bit or else you will loose a lot of detail in your map (verry important). It looks to me that you didn't flip your map vertically. I know that you mentioned that you did in a earlier post but why i say that is because it looks like the part that should be mapped to the back of the head is acually on the neck. Just incase you didnt do it all you need to do is go to photoshop and go to Image>Rotate Canvas>Flip Vertical. Let me know if that works.

Grashupfa
04-09-2005, 10:26 AM
Whaaaaaaaat!
Wuhuuuu!
Thx...i dunno why, my workflow before was, i opened the map in photoshop, then i converted it to RGB, then i chose Image>Rotate Canvas>180 ... -> wrong (is it because it had to be mirrored vertically?...or what is the difference between flip vertically and turn it 180)

MAny thx to all, now it worked properly, i attached the image (just a harsh render, i didn't care about quality). Thx :applause: :bounce:

poly-phobic
04-09-2005, 03:47 PM
Acually you need to keep it 16 bit or else you will loose a lot of detail in your map (verry important). mental ray does not read 16bit

Karlfucious
04-10-2005, 05:29 PM
Acually Mental Ray does read 16 bit rgb but not 16 bit grey.

anopheles
04-10-2005, 08:17 PM
(is it because it had to be mirrored vertically?...or what is the difference between flip vertically and turn it 180)

yes there is a difference ... just try it out on a normal image where you can see the
difference ...

why would you want to have the same function two times

CGTalk Moderation
04-10-2005, 08:17 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.