PDA

View Full Version : Why the characters move when using antialias?

RealReck
03-27-2005, 07:47 AM
Hi,
I'm making a hover button for an application. A hover button is a button that looks different when the mouse cursor is over it. I'm making a button that seems to light up when the mouse is over, so I have 2 bitmaps, the normal and the lighted one.
I have set the same text layer for both bitmaps but when I use them in my program the text seems to move when the cursor is over, as if the text in the bitmaps wouldn't be in the same place. This happens only when using some type of antialiasing. The regular text doesn't have this problem. I tested my old copy of Paint Shop Pro an didn't have this problem.

Any way to solve this?

Tommi
03-27-2005, 11:28 AM
Looking closely at the magnified image you attached, actually does imply that the right text is set a little bit off its original position. I'm not sure about PhotoShop, but I guess that - like After Effects - it uses so-called "sub-pixels" as well (by making use of lighter/darker shades of a color in order to create the illusion of a pixel position between two physical pixels). This effect can be very subtle. Try to reposition the text of the right button by highlighting its layer and using the arrow buttons on your keyboard. I guess you will need to "push" it one unit up and one unit left...

hope that helps

paintbox
03-27-2005, 03:06 PM
And Flash is another one of those programs with sub-pixel effect. The coordinates must be exactly overlapping (use the property window) otherwise you notice jumping.Did you use the same anti-aliasing effect in Photoshop ? (there are four types)

RealReck
03-27-2005, 07:22 PM
Looking closely at the magnified image you attached, actually does imply that the right text is set a little bit off its original position. I'm not sure about PhotoShop, but I guess that - like After Effects - it uses so-called "sub-pixels" as well (by making use of lighter/darker shades of a color in order to create the illusion of a pixel position between two physical pixels). This effect can be very subtle. Try to reposition the text of the right button by highlighting its layer and using the arrow buttons on your keyboard. I guess you will need to "push" it one unit up and one unit left...

I'll try that, but i don't think it'll work. Besides, that would mean I have to set two different positions for the two text layers, which doesn't seem right. In Paint Shop Pro I place the antialiased text in the same place and doesn't have this problem.

And Flash is another one of those programs with sub-pixel effect. The coordinates must be exactly overlapping (use the property window) otherwise you notice jumping.Did you use the same anti-aliasing effect in Photoshop ? (there are four types)

The text layers are set in the same position on each bitmap, that's for sure. I've tryed the four kind of antialiasing and all have the same problem. When I don't use the antialias the button works fine.

Integrity
03-31-2005, 08:41 PM
I'm not sure if this will fix it, but...make sure the setting of Fractional Widths is the same for both layers. It's hidden in a pop-up menu from the little arrow in the Text Properties window. Make sure all settings in the Text Properties is the same for both, including the Anti-Alias setting. Then render out again.

I hope this helps.

davpunk
04-01-2005, 10:16 PM
a couple things to check:

1) Make sure that only ONE text layer for the Back is on at a time before exporting.

2) It could also be a result of the amount of indexed colors youre giving each one. ex..the down has 16 colors, the up has 24

3)If you are bringin it into Flash, open your transformation palette and MAKE SURE it is placed at a WHOLE number. In flash you can have something placed at x: 3.456 which will cause your graphics to shift and freak out. :P

RealReck
04-03-2005, 11:11 AM
I'm not sure if this will fix it, but...make sure the setting of Fractional Widths is the same for both layers. It's hidden in a pop-up menu from the little arrow in the Text Properties window. Make sure all settings in the Text Properties is the same for both, including the Anti-Alias setting. Then render out again.

Both are the same. I tried unchecking both but nothing.

1) Make sure that only ONE text layer for the Back is on at a time before exporting.

2) It could also be a result of the amount of indexed colors youre giving each one. ex..the down has 16 colors, the up has 24

3)If you are bringin it into Flash, open your transformation palette and MAKE SURE it is placed at a WHOLE number. In flash you can have something placed at x: 3.456 which will cause your graphics to shift and freak out. :P

1) Exporting is not necessary, I can see the antialiasing is different for each layer before exporting.

2) It have to be the same, since both layers belong to the same image.

3) Same as 1.

I finally solved the problem by erasing one of the layers an replacing it with a copy of the other layer. The strange thing is I know both layer are the same because I had previously copied the layers. I can't find the difference between them.

CGTalk Moderation
04-03-2005, 11:11 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.