PDA

View Full Version : Moving a bunch of points to an absolute value

Changeling
03-27-2005, 12:02 AM
Hi fellas... this is I am sure a stupid question, with an one line answer... unfortunately I can't find that one line!

if I select five different points, say at different X values, and want to move them so that they all lie at the same X value (ie make planar) How do I do that?

The manual says that simply entering a value into the X translation text box is 'absolute' value, but I find that it keeps the points at their relative positions and moves their mean (avg) to that value.

3Dsmax had make planar, but I havn't found it in XSI...

Please help http://cgtalk.com/images/smilies/sad.gif

ThE_JacO
03-27-2005, 12:08 AM
scale them to 0 on that axis first then type the translation value.
also use the search to look for the other techs and tricks that have been posted frequently in the past for these kind of things (aligning points, translating points etc. are good keywords I guess).

zukezuko
03-27-2005, 12:12 AM
yep
push COG , and scale em

CraigT
03-27-2005, 01:01 AM
You can use the Translation box to give absolute values- you need to enable "Collapse points for snapping/absolute translation". Click on the little arrow on the "Transform" header to access the menu.

Changeling
03-27-2005, 02:58 AM
thanks guys...

I did have a look, but I guess I wasn't using the right search terms.. cheers.

CGTalk Moderation
03-27-2005, 02:58 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.