PDA

View Full Version : Pivot to a vertex

Cosmo
03-26-2005, 07:07 PM
how do i snap the Selection center to a vertex of choice?

(just like in Maya, one can hold down 'v' and the pivot snaps when it comes close to a vertex)

LuxArnie
03-27-2005, 01:02 PM
That sounds like what you want...

Cosmo
03-27-2005, 01:14 PM
hmm,

modo is driving me nuts.......

i just want to be able to move an object and snap it to a vertex of another object.
i tried moving the Pivot and snap that to a vertex (Use Pivot Tool) that's all good,

but then when i switch back to Move Object (with Pivot selected as Selection Center) the Pivot doesn't move with the object so i can't snap !

seneca
03-27-2005, 04:06 PM
I'm a huge fan of MODO, so I don't want to say something that's not good, but basically, all their snap tools are half-broken in 1.02 and it appears we just have to wait a while before we get them fixed.... I've put the SNAP bugs in the BUGLIST quite a while ago, so what you're seeing is not your fault.. :|

So... I'm just trying to say don't run away from modo right now... :)
Give it some time and everything will be working again... :)

I could write a script to give us the snapping we need, but it would KINDA be a waste of my time because the scripts won't be of any use anymore once LUXOLOGY fixes the bugs... :P

Later!
-seneca

huskerdude
03-27-2005, 05:04 PM
Select the 'Automatic' center and then issue "tool.set center.element on" in the command box. Enable Geometry snapping. In the Tool Pipe you should see:

Geometry Snap
Action Center Element
Action Axis Auto

Save this as a preset. Activate the Move tool so it will become part of your preset and right click on any entry in the Tool Pipe and select 'Save Preset'. Give it a name, ie "ElementSnap".

With this setup you should be able to snap individual elements or selected elements by clicking on the element you want to snap and dragging. Selected elements will keep their relationships to each other.

- huskerdude

seneca
03-27-2005, 08:16 PM
Wow. That works!
Huskerdude, how do you normally set "tool.set center.element on" ?

Because I could never find that in the UI of MODO, I didn't even know it existed until just recently........ and every time I set custom centers/axes, I do it through script, not through the UI...

Is there any way to do that (in the UI) besides downloading Kiipli's custom form?

huskerdude
03-28-2005, 07:11 AM
Hi seneca, I don't think there's any way to do that directly in the UI (other than typing it into the Command Box). I had no idea that there was a way to mix and match centers and axes until Mark Brown at Luxology pointed it out in another forum. I currently have tool.set center.element on mapped to a key....

CGTalk Moderation
03-28-2005, 07:11 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.