PDA

View Full Version : Master and Servant 2D Entry: Grant Regan

unitstudio
03-26-2005, 03:20 PM
Grant Regan has entered the Master and Servant 2D.

Challenge Page (http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/masterandservant/view_entries.php?challenger=6678)

Latest Update: Concept Sketch: master and servant
http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/8/6678/6678_1111854642_medium.jpg (http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/8/6678/6678_1111854642_large.jpg)

Greetings poeple. I thought I might give this a try. Ironically I have even less free time than when i commence my ill-fated Grand Space Opera Challenge (still on the back-burner to complete someday) given that I'm now fully freelance.

I thought too that this provides the provide me with the opportunity to step out of my usual style, to do something a little little-hearted and whimsical, and hopefully a little different to most submissions.

I'm not going to give too much background to this image. I want the viewers to read into it what they will. This sketch was extremely quick - about 5minutes between contractual pieces after the idea of a professor controlling his droid, and the droid in turn controlling him with puppet strings occured to me. I like the minor paradox that it poses. :)

The design of the droid and professor are far from final, merely preliminary, as is the composition, I will make it more dramatic with more foreshortening on the droid with a lower POV, accentuating the relative scales. This is merely me getting the idea down before I move on to something else :)

And yes, I do hope to complete the opera challenge piece someday soon. Any I too late to submit for that??? ;)

Good luck to everything. I hope this time to see oyu at the finish line.

be well
Grant (unit)

NOOB!
03-26-2005, 03:21 PM
welcome to the challenge,good luck!!

unitstudio
03-26-2005, 03:30 PM
http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/8/6678/6678_1111854642_medium.jpg (http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/8/6678/6678_1111854642_large.jpg)

Greetings poeple. I thought I might give this a try. Ironically I have even less free time than when i commence my ill-fated Grand Space Opera Challenge (still on the back-burner to complete someday) given that I'm now fully freelance.

I thought too that this provides me with the opportunity to step out of my usual style - to do something a little little-hearted and whimsical, and hopefully a little different to most submissions as well. I'm not normally one for doing caricature...we'll see how it goes..

I'm not going to provide too much background to this image as I want the viewers to read into it what they will. This sketch was extremely quick - about 5 minutes during my coffee break (10th for today!!!) between contractual pieces after the idea of a professor controlling his droid, and the droid in turn controlling him with puppet strings occured to me. I like the minor paradox that it poses Maybe it's just the coffee... :)

The design of the droid and professor are far from final, merely preliminary, as is the composition, I will make it more dramatic with more foreshortening on the droid with a lower POV, accentuating the relative scales. This is merely me getting the idea down before I move on to something else :) Of course, nothing is final and I may well scrap it entirely...

And yes, I do hope to complete the opera challenge piece someday soon. Am I too late to submit for that challenge??? ;) Damn....

Good luck to everyone - look forward to seeing the results. I hope this time to see you all at the finish line.

be well
Grant (unit)

NOOB!
03-26-2005, 03:33 PM
i think it looks great so far.

unitstudio
03-26-2005, 03:35 PM
Cheers Noob, likewise! :)

-g

francis001
03-26-2005, 04:27 PM
Hey Grant - nice concept, it reads well right off the bat (which is more than I can say for mine, hehe). Very pinocchio, except that here pinocchio is ... evil?

Or, I could interpret this as a metaphor for working in a creative/scientific/technological career - there is a certain joy in creating something new, but there is also the idea that you are defined or categorized by what you do, which in turn affects what you are able to do in the future.

Or perhaps I just need some coffee.

unitstudio
03-26-2005, 04:57 PM
Or, I could interpret this as a metaphor for working in a creative/scientific/technological career - there is a certain joy in creating something new, but there is also the idea that you are defined or categorized by what you do, which in turn affects what you are able to do in the future.

That works for me...:) Actually maybe it relates somewhat to your theme? When does our technology ceases being our servant and becomes our master? Although I just liked the conundrum of the idea, and that was my motivation.

Or perhaps I just need some coffee.[/QUOTE]

Me too methinks. That'd be oh the 10th cup today.... :) Thanks for your comments. Personally, I think given the broad concept of transhumanism that you're tackling, you've done a sterling job of conveying it. The concept reads perfectly well for me.

walrus
03-26-2005, 05:15 PM
Grant, good to see you enterring, I hope manage to sneak enough time to work on this. i like the concept a lot, especially the kind of loop it presents. Unlike Francis, I don't necessarily view the "pinochio" figure as 'evil,' as control or mastery doesn't necesserily imply unsavory intent, any more than one would read into the scientist controlling the robot. As for light sources, I think the source on the right would throw more of the robot's body and face in shadow, which would make the piece a tad more ominous... Whether that's what you want or not is up to you! :-)

Best of luck, look forward to seeing more on it...!

-mike

TheFirstAngel
04-01-2005, 11:15 PM
hahaha, just a human. funny concept, like it a lot! keep it up, best luck and have loadsa fun!:thumbsup:

CGTalk Moderation
04-01-2005, 11:15 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.