PDA

View Full Version : Master and Servant 3D Entry: Jairo Bambang Oetomo

jairobbo
03-26-2005, 10:30 AM
Jairo Bambang Oetomo has entered the Master and Servant 3D.

Challenge Page (http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/masterandservant/view_entries.php?challenger=6655)

Latest Update: Concept Sketch: Pride (working title)
http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/9/6655/6655_1111952386_medium.jpg (http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/9/6655/6655_1111952386_large.jpg)

ok, composition sketch..
Elendor fighting minions, not noticing the big bad one behind. Olkop desperately tries to warn him.

jairobbo
03-26-2005, 04:13 PM
ok, let's go!!

I'm thinking about an image with lot's of contrast like the pupil having outlearned and enslaved his/her old master.. old/young ugly/beautiful. maybe sounds obvious but i guess it works like that. We 3d guys should realy focus on the content/emotion this time! Show the 2d's we can also put that character into the image. Eventually the idea is what makes the image (with a bit of visual skills), let your mind and eyes do the imaging, not the software.

Have fun and good luck to everyone!!

Jairo

jairobbo
03-26-2005, 09:01 PM
A very talented young sorcerer, Elendor, has been studying with his master Olskop, for a very long time. Olkop was very old and Elendor would probably be his last aprentice. Being very impatient, Elendor has always been skipping many basic exercises which are necessary for development and wise understanding of the craft.

One day Elendor overheard a conversation about a true balancing power, a great challange to find, a great challenge for a great scorcerer, he thought. Discussing the matter with Olskop, he heard he wasn't by far mature enough for such a task, a task only to be sought after by the very wise and very mature.

Angy, Elendor left. Stupid stories about wisdom shouldn't stand between him and destiny. Olkop begged him to stay, but there was no reasoning with the proud young lad. So Olskop offered his company. Elendor however told him to stay home and never tell him what to do again. But Olkop, forseeing his destiny, loved Elendor as his own son and begged him to stay. He promissed he would only stay around to give advise when asked and to protect him from evil.

Elendor agreed on these conditions but also stripped Olkop of his Masters Robe because it reminded him too much of theier former relationship.

They traveled far and hard, Olkop's tatooed body whithered and exhausted. They slowly approach their goal, but evil as been waiting in the dark al this time...

This is it!!! Hope to hear suggestions and comments. Do you guys think this story is good for the master/servant theme??

jmBoekestein
03-26-2005, 09:09 PM
It's nice allright!

As a story I think it leaves things untouched but as an image it could be really good, but you'd have to choose a certain angle to it. I had the same problem, 't zou toch niet je opleiding wezen he, krijg nou de tering zou ik denken, ironie in een notendop. Haha, we zullen zien.

Curious as to the your next step, it certainly is interesting I say.

Good luck!:wavey:

jairobbo
03-27-2005, 09:22 AM
thanx dude

Now to do some sketching... idd ironie in een notedop.. nog even aanscherpen, jij lekker eieren aan het zoeken :)

Jairo

jairobbo
03-27-2005, 07:39 PM
http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/9/6655/6655_1111952386_medium.jpg (http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/9/6655/6655_1111952386_large.jpg)

ok, composition sketch..
Elendor fighting minions, not noticing the big bad one behind. Olkop desperately tries to warn him.

jairobbo
03-27-2005, 07:58 PM
thinking about a couple things right now, I placed elendor central in this image, he's gonna be the dominant figure with Olkop second. Their pose has to be very expressive (actually it's what the whole image is about). Elendor uses his powers and easily defeats evil. However in the back, climbing from a roch or descending from the sky don't know yet, a very great fiend comes, who will eventually slay him. Olkop tries to get his attention.

I want the front figures to be very ugly but not very frightning, maybe they're even mad and selfdestructive. Thinking of some character lying petrified or burnt at Elendors feet. His robe very proud but withered. Plain fabric but with golden and bejewling embroidery. Olkop is very skinny and tatood all over his body, he only wears something like a cloth around the waist.

I try to work as much with eyelines to guide our eyes along the picture and symbolic and suggestive shapes as possible to try te keep modelling efforts low (to concentrate on central figures).

The main bad character is very self assured, I'm thinking he maybe doesnt even look around climbing down a rock, not afraid at all of the scorcerer. Olkop seems to be looking at the monster but I guess it's better to take the moment where he has already seen it and focusses on Elendor crying to get his attention.

Elendor is engaging in some elemental spells, maybe fire. Want to get A great amount of power in there, maybe he creates a pillar of light or some vortices at his feet. Anyway I want environmental interaction to make it work.

So.. a little brainstorming can't hurt, I want to know what im doing, I think that's very important in how people are able to interpret an image..

Good luck al!

JAiro ;)

jmBoekestein
03-28-2005, 04:54 PM
Hard to tell what's going on in the pic actually, what are the thingies in the bottom and to the sides.

jairobbo
03-28-2005, 06:00 PM
the idea is the main character id fighting minions (smaller enemies), maybe evil creatures from underground. i agree it's pretty vague so far, but i want to concentrate on relations before getting into posing and detail. in short: it needs work work work :) :)

BTW curious how your characters are going to relate in the image and what will go on in the background! tot morgen hehe (niet verslapen..)

Jairo

jmBoekestein
03-28-2005, 08:06 PM
Good idea.

I have to say that I'm having trouble getting a composition working, it might be a couple o' hundred sketches in before I get there, lol.

(aargh, tentamens, slapen, schetsen, wat moet ik ook al weer eerst doen?!!)

DaddyMack
03-28-2005, 08:35 PM
Good idea.

I have to say that I'm having trouble getting a composition working, it might be a couple o' hundred sketches in before I get there, lol.

(aargh, tentamens, slapen, schetsen, wat moet ik ook al weer eerst doen?!!)

Didn't really get much of that last bit but it sounds like what's happening in my world too jm.

Hi jairobbo, looks like you've got your work cut out for you with so many characters, I think this image could have a very strong narrative aspect if relised well. Good luck with the layout and composition.
You could use 'uneven' ground or put the main characters halfway up a small hill with the surprise coming over the back of the hill toward them

Good luck man

jairobbo
03-29-2005, 05:24 PM
DaddyMack, you're totally right. Have to figure something out to get same story with maybe less characters... :( but: it's a great challenge to do, and with everybody (hopefully including me) using zbrush, modelling is a way different story! Thanx for the advice and good luck!

Jairo

CGTalk Moderation
03-29-2005, 05:24 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.