PDA

View Full Version : Master and Servant 2D Entry: Richard Dumont

Kraull
03-25-2005, 01:49 PM
Richard Dumont has entered the Master and Servant 2D.

Challenge Page (http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/masterandservant/view_entries.php?challenger=6568)

Latest Update: Final Image: The first spell
http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/8/6568/6568_1116209835_medium.jpg (http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/8/6568/6568_1116209835_large.jpg)

Finally...!! Here is the final image. There is no big change from the last post. I've added some green tone at some places to get rid a little of the monochromatic hue and I've also adjusted some lights and contrast here and there.

A real big thanks for all your support and great comments!! Your help have been very helpful and enrichissante.

Take care everyone!
Good bye! ^__^

MDN67
03-25-2005, 04:31 PM
good luck richard i wait your first skretch:thumbsup:

Kraull
03-30-2005, 03:24 PM
http://cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/8/6568/6568_1112199867_medium.jpg (http://cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/8/6568/6568_1112199867_large.jpg)

For this new challenge, I wanted to illustrate a relationship that may not be kind of new, but still interest me a lot: master and apprentice.

I'm quite a big fan of all the things that imply magic and psychic powers, so here I go with a scene depicting an old sorceress teaching her young apprentice how to cast a spell.

The context is still not clear in my head at the moment. I'll work on that...

Arctis
03-30-2005, 03:55 PM
Hi Kraull,
nice to see you here ! ;)
I'm impatient to see what's gonna be your project...
Good luck !

montclaris
03-30-2005, 04:08 PM
Hi Richard, i'm happy you join !
I think you'll make wonders in this challenge for you are so good at character design.
Your first sketch conveys very strong feelings. Quiet with a lot of concentration undergoing.
Good luck, mate :thumbsup:

anilduran
03-30-2005, 04:59 PM
it seems really mysterious....,

we're looking forward see your nextstep...
goodluck.......bro

monsitj
03-30-2005, 05:11 PM
yes! nice to see you here again!! you are late !:love: come on, and update , I need some inspiration:buttrock:

Kraull
03-31-2005, 01:57 PM
Happy too to see you again guys! :buttrock: It's always a pleasure to hear about your constructive comments. :)

nebezial
03-31-2005, 02:07 PM
i like where this s gong, keep it up man:thumbsup:

Kraull
03-31-2005, 02:24 PM
http://cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/8/6568/6568_1112282650_medium.jpg (http://cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/8/6568/6568_1112282650_large.jpg)

At this stage, I'm focussing on the composition and the general color ambiance. I've also try to determine a little bit more the backgroung and the design of the characters. Though it's still quite messy with a lot of brush strokes very apparent, I'm beginning to build a context in my head and to know a little bit more what kind of characters I want in this work.

The next step will be to work on the shape of the heads of the main characters and on their facial expression. I'll try then to refine the image equally to keep a feel of unity. That will be the challenge.

Your quite welcome to give me your comments, bad or good, they are all useful.

And if you have any technical questions, I'll try to answer the best I can.

p4b10
03-31-2005, 03:12 PM
Great to see you have entered the challenge, i really loved your Machineflesh entry. My only comment is about composition, i really like the idea and design of the characters but i'm sure you can push a little further the composition, something more dynamic. Keep it up!

SideAche
03-31-2005, 03:18 PM
I am liking your composition and the shapes so far Richard. Glad to see you back. It has a nice intimate feel. Your blocking in technique is superb. Looking forward to more.

duddlebug
03-31-2005, 03:23 PM
This is just splendid!

I almost don't want you to carry on because i love the brushmarks and values in this as it is. And the subject is really interesting too. The poses of the two characters are so suited to the apprentice casting her first spell.

Dead good.

lynch
03-31-2005, 03:45 PM
i'm kinda dissapointed Dumont , cause this looks alot like your space opera entry in terms of character design and pait stlye I have been holding back comments but from the start till now but i had to say something here because i know you can do better.

Kraull
03-31-2005, 06:39 PM
Thanks for your comments everyone!

p4b10:
About the composition, I'll see what I can do. The idea was to make the child a little bit afraid, so he/she backup a little and grab tightly a piece of the dress of the sorceress. I wanted it also to depict a moment of exchange, comprehension and quietness, not a battle with a live or die moment. With that in mind, I don't feel I have quite a lot of latitude to make things look a lot dynamic. Maybe by playing with the magic effect will help... But in a way, I'll try to explore subtlety. I'll try to fix this later. I keep your comment in mind. Thanks.

lynch:
Thanks for your remark. Well, I can understand your concern. :) About the character, I definitely agree with you that there is a ressemblance with the design of my space opera entry. The most obvious ressemblance I see may be in the hat of the child. Though I have been working principally on the composition for now, I'll try to make it looks more different. Concerning the style, well, that will be more difficult to change. At the moment, this is the kind of environement and style of costume that interest me the most. I've no difficulty to imagine these characters living in the same universe as my last work, and I'm quite please with that. I'll think about what could be changed. Thanks for your interest. And nice colors on your own entry by the way. Compared to you, I'm kind of shy with saturated colors.

ms@zx
04-01-2005, 10:48 AM
u have a great piece going on here and i totally miss it.very well done on the mood as well as the compo.will be waiting for more updates~bravo!:thumbsup:

Kraull
04-01-2005, 02:23 PM
http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/8/6568/6568_1112369035_medium.jpg (http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/8/6568/6568_1112369035_large.jpg)

I've continued to work principally on the colors for a couple of hours. What I try to acheive is to make the subject easier to read without losing to much of the ambiance. I have the impression I could squeeze a little bit more contrast here and there to make it more attractive... The hard thing to do is to find out where and how much.

Concerning the design, I agree with some of your comments about the costume of the child which seems to be a little bit cheap... I'll work on that, promise! ^_^'

Imriela
04-01-2005, 03:41 PM
This is rather sweet, with its pupil-and-teacher benevolence. And the subdued colors are prefect for making the spell's glow "pop."

I think just the hat needs to go; he/she's got to earn that badass headdress that the elder shamaness has going on! But the child does still need to look like he/she belongs with the teacher in an associative way--people tend to dress alike, after all.

n3zum1
04-01-2005, 03:42 PM
well, IMO its a great work, main because of the tricky theme of this challenge, looks like almost everyone is going to the "chains and pain and monstruous subjugated beasts controlled by beautiful or small girls/things" and your concept is the most clean, and simple and natural i´ve seen here, its not only about power, but respect, responsability and knowledge... well, it is it, good luck!!!

walrus
04-01-2005, 04:48 PM
It's looking good, Richard! I like the hues you've used in the spell and how the read on the rest of the background. I know you're still getting there, but it might be nice to eventually bring some of those colors into the characters lights, especially the faces. (I think the teacher's face would read a bit better with a tad more light, too.) But I know you have a lot more you'll be wanting to do on it, and I'll be looking forward to seeing how you refine it. Best of luck, and have fun!

-mike

Arctis
04-01-2005, 06:10 PM
Hi kraull,
it 's growing nicely : I especially like the kid's face.
I'll keep an eye on it.

CoreyArtE
04-01-2005, 06:30 PM
Looking good, I love the emotion you capture in this piece. Cant wait to see the final product I'm a big fan of your work...especially your space opera piece.

artjunkie
04-01-2005, 06:48 PM
Love your work! Excellent realization of the them, too! I feel much like duddlebug, in that there is something of your rough paints that I absolutely love... the loose energy they have... brilliant stuff. But of course your latest update is no less brilliant... and I adore the feeling of this one... the relationship between the two characters. Can't wait to see more!

my 2D entry:
http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?threadid=222438

Slav
04-01-2005, 08:35 PM
great image. thumbs up from me. more more more!

cheers

paulwdavidson
04-01-2005, 08:42 PM
I like the look of this already...........keep it going

Paul

TheFirstAngel
04-01-2005, 08:56 PM
this is a great piece you're upcoming with. I like trhe story a lot, also the style and the mood are fantstic. keep up the great work, wish you loadsa fun and best luck

Mythmaker
04-01-2005, 09:31 PM
I love it already! Even at this stage it looks great - strong atmosphere and believable characters.

montclaris
04-02-2005, 01:11 AM
I can't find words Richard.
I'm very happy you are concerned with getting hue and saturation balance right at this early stage, because it seemed such a pain to change it late in the last challenge. I agree with walrus about the teacher's face. You depicted very attractive facial expressions and IMO you should probably increase her face brightness to make them more readable. For the same reasons (characters expressions), i like how loose their environment is (let alone the early painting stage). I think i wouldn't like furnitures to be added or more details to their clothing, or anything else that could distract from the raw gem of your piece : its very strong humanity as shown by the characters faces.
Not that i'm a fanboy (you already know that ;) ), but there is something more in this work of yours that i didn't find in previous ones. I couldn't say what but it's sure something very strong because it's dragging me inside the picture, and conveys beautiful feelings. Almost drows me tears of joy. I'm afraid there's no relevant smiley to express what i mean so i'll only add "That's amazing, i can't believe it !" :)

Take care,
remi

PS : Do you sell prints of your artwork ?

Kalomus
04-03-2005, 10:44 AM
love the concept. The boy's surprised face and the master's gentle smile really captures the mood and emotion.

Kraull
04-03-2005, 07:24 PM
Thanks for your support and great crits about this work. :) I'll do my best to not lose too much of the things you like in it during the process of refinement, though it's always the hardest part for me... Anyway.

Imriela
I like your idea about the importance to integrate in the charcaters some associative elements. To remove the hat from the apprentice may be something to add some content to the story (if it's a symbole of accomplishment or grade), but I quite like the idea that it makes the character ambigu about his/her gender. Story telling, I think I prefer to see the progression to the different layers of clothing.

walrus
I agree with you about the faces. Though I would like to keep the teacher in the shadow, there may be some contrast to gain in the face, but I don't want any obvious unatural spotlight. An other problem is that the background is quite light, so If I light her face, I loose contrast too... Hard decisions to come. O_o'

montclaris
I'm sincerely glad you've been touch by the subject. About the details question, I'll keep in mind to not let myself be to much excessive. I see the environment in which they are more like a teaching ground than a living room. So about the furnitures, I'll keep them as minimal as possible. Concerning prints of my artworks, well I haven't yet a long carreer behind me, so I'm more concerned about improving my skills at the moment. For now, the only artworks you could get are in the challenge's books. Maybe in a near future I'll get wy own artworks print separately. :) I'll let you know.

Velinov
04-04-2005, 02:13 PM
It's awesome. I' like your style a lot! It's going to be such a beautiful picture and a strong entry
to this challange. Keep the good work, man. I'll definitely follow this thread...good luck!!! :thumbsup:

http://farfolina.pochta.ru/death.jpg (http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?t=221933)

kornel
04-04-2005, 03:09 PM
Pretty!
I love very much your colors and mood! (comp too)

cheers: Kornél

Arc80
04-04-2005, 04:45 PM
what's up dude,

I like your subject matter. The loose painting quality is so nice and it enhances the story's emotional content. very expressive on your brush strokes. I'll keep an eye on this one. Goodluck.

cheers,
Archie
My master & servant entry (http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?t=224331)

AirbORn
04-04-2005, 04:48 PM
Dam... you know you have a unique style when I can tell it is your work without looking at your name :)

As always your work is very unique, has great emotion and a great mood. The concept alone is very unique and I look forward to seeing this completed :)

BaronImpossible
04-04-2005, 05:18 PM
I like the idea, and the poses and facial expressions are spot on. Well done. I'll be interested to see how you define the old woman's face (the kid's face is amazing) because as you say, it's not particularly clear at the moment. I won't make any suggestions at the moment because I would advise an under-face spotlight effect, maybe from a charm she's holding or something, but I know you don't want to do this. Great work.

coryloftis
04-05-2005, 01:00 AM
I love where this one is going. I really like the colors and emotion you are putting into this one. Some of the suggestions I agree with, others I don't. The one suggestion I might make is this, if you viewed this piece outside the context of this challenge would you realize that this is a "master/servant" , "master/apprentice" relationship? I know you have already made progress, but I might suggest the older master take a more hands on approach with the child. Really show that she is teaching. Right now, she might be a teacher, a casual observer, a friend.... her position is still dubious to me. Just a thought, ignore it if you like it will still be a gorgeous piece. Best of luck.

janhath
04-05-2005, 01:33 AM
Nice story,and mood,the color tones are splendid already.This can be a really nice emotional piece....:thumbsup:

digital-bobert
04-05-2005, 01:58 AM
a fellow Canuck :) Great job so far. I'm enjoying the show

brunowerneck
04-05-2005, 11:59 PM
nice work my friend... it's always inspiring to see your paintings.

CodeNothing
04-06-2005, 12:04 AM
Im lovin it!

just noticed at first glance your pink petals seem to be pulling on your balance to the right, you may want to concider lightening up the farthest left side of the background around the kid. It may frame the figure nicely too.

good luck! this is looking awsome so far!

W-I-L
04-06-2005, 02:19 PM
very very nice... one of m,y favs in the competion i think.. cant believ i only jus came acros it

Kraull
04-06-2005, 04:14 PM
Thanks a lot again for your comments! I'll take your enlighting suggestions in count and see what I can do. I'll probably post a WIP at the end of the week. I've not progressed a lot lately. I'm still struggling with the hat of the apprentice (which looks like a football helmet atm) and the balance of the contrast... O_o'

bonestudio
04-06-2005, 04:46 PM
very classic (for the idea) but very original :)

I love your style, and I can't wait to see your piece coming to life, and details coming out every where

Kraull
04-07-2005, 03:05 PM
http://cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/8/6568/6568_1112886312_medium.jpg (http://cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/8/6568/6568_1112886312_large.jpg)

Since the last post, I've worked slowly on the contrast and the conception of some elements of the composition. At each step I've tried to make the scene easier to read without losing to much of the ambiance I liked in previous sketches. Some elements are stil unclear at the moment, like the second plan background, but I begin to know a little bit more precisely what I'll do. I've added some old roots instead of the rock shapes.

I've also trade a little bit of yellow hue for an orange/red one. I think it makes the color of the scene more realistic this way. I've put some light emanating from the spell (which I'll work on later) in the hope of making the witch easier to read.

Thanks again for your helpful comments! ^_^

artjunkie
04-07-2005, 03:13 PM
Ooooooh... this is fleshing out nicely! Love the bit of light added to the spell! GENIOUS!!

Keep up the great work! Cheers!

stevethomas
04-07-2005, 03:13 PM
It's the costume design that makes this one so interesting. Can't wait to see the final.

Arctis
04-07-2005, 03:24 PM
Hi,
GRRREAT, man, I really like how it's turning.
But why are you so rare on the web : It's impossible to see more of you work, that is really frustrating : the way you paint shows a strong experience, with probably a rich production too. We miss a lot by only looking at 3 of your paintings.
It would also be interesting to have a tutorial from you.
This is not flattery, this is a real demand.

PS : take care of the head of the elder : it seems detached from the shoulder, floating in its clothes.

Bye,

Pier.

bonestudio
04-07-2005, 04:17 PM
this is getting better and better, i love to see details emerging :)

i like a lot the light on the old man clothes, but I don't understand his legs well... Well I think that's a part you didn't really work on... So that's not important at this stage :)

Zephyri
04-07-2005, 04:35 PM
This is lovely, lovely lovely! The concept may not be anything original, but your take on it is certainly unlike anything I've seen. Your character design is amazing, I love the clothes on the master, and the girl's face, but my favourite bit is most certainly the master's face, so much texture and character! Amazing. Your colour pallette is perfect for the picture too, just the right side of warm, I don't find the characters creepy in any way, which they could do if it were much darker. Only minor point I can offer as criticism is the positioning of the master's furthest leg, away from the viewer. If his torso flows the way I think it does, then the position is very unnatural. But it may be the sleeve hanging over the leg that's throwing the line of the thigh out and making it look unnaturally bent. Other than that, stunning work. Best of luck!

mybutterflyiris
04-07-2005, 08:56 PM
Ooooo... this is coming along quite nicely. I have no doubt this is going to be great in the end. I didn't have a problem with readability, i got the gist of what was going on before i read your blurb on it. And i like all your improvements along the way. Keep it up and good luck

theCloudmover
04-07-2005, 11:10 PM
This is sooo beautiful.

I love the understated pallette. Great job so far.

teknotek83
04-07-2005, 11:12 PM
I loved your entry in the GSO. This is looking just as lovely! Good luck on this challenge! :-)

KOryH
04-07-2005, 11:28 PM
Excellent drawing and nice color scheme. I am a fan of muted colors.
Maybe punch em up a bit in the magic for some extra pizazz. but it's not really needed.

best of luck to you.

Kraull
04-09-2005, 12:55 AM
Thanks again for your support!!!

Arctis
Thanks to have pointed out about the elder's head! I've done a try today and put it slightly back, and it seems less annoying this way. Concerning the lack of my artworks on the internet, I'm still studying full time, so I've not an impressive production behind me. Sorry. You can although check my website if you would like. There is not much, but it's all I get atm. :) fewlines.com (http://www.fewlines.com) About the tutorial, thanks for the compliment, I'll think about it, though you can follow the way I work quite easily with the 2 previous challenge. Oh, and by the way, I haven't seen you in this challenge??? What are you doing? :deal:

bonestudio
You're right about the legs.

Zepyhri
I agree that the position of the legs is difficult to understand. You're right that there is something odd about them. I hope that by pushing the head of the witch lower and farther and by prolonging her right legs, we may understand better. I'll take an other look to some references I've studied earlier to rectify this. Thanks.

Einar
04-09-2005, 05:55 AM
I really like this! There's great interaction between the characters and their poses are wonderful. Nice atmosphere overall. Best of luck to you!

tuck
04-09-2005, 07:32 AM
This looks great -nice style- wish i could draw like this.:thumbsup:
good luck.

Kraull
04-11-2005, 02:49 PM
http://cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/8/6568/6568_1113230981_medium.jpg (http://cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/8/6568/6568_1113230981_large.jpg)

The main areas I've worked on since the last update are the hands of the apprentice and the stone structure of the environment. There are still some anatomic problems here and there I can feel, but it'll take me some time to fix them properly. I hate hands... Too complicated!^_^' Oh yes, I've also pulled back the elders head (thanks Arctis!), in order to fix the impression that her head was floating. I've also worked on the apprentice suit. I don't have any fix idea for the design, so I go with the try and mystake approach.

calisto-lynn
04-11-2005, 02:52 PM
nice texturing!:)

ChrisThatGuy
04-11-2005, 05:12 PM
Very nice. Are those bright pink bits supposed to be part of the spell? Because at the moment it's a little difficult to read at what depth they're supposed to be (ie: how far from the viewer compare to the other elements). Great stuff.

sgw
04-11-2005, 05:50 PM
Awsome. I love your color scheme and your approach to the piece. Keep it up!

Gunstar Hero
04-11-2005, 06:53 PM
I really like the mood and setting, a quiet moment between master and apprentice. Only crit I got is the anatomy, and as you said you're aware of that. As of now the sorceress is amazon like, she is hulking. Maybe she should have an older, frailer frame. But then again maybe you're going for the amazon look.

Has a tinge of Moebius, which makes it extra wicked

arLutiK
04-11-2005, 07:07 PM
Very nice artwork, love it. :applause:

Riddick
04-11-2005, 09:37 PM
Very nice palette!
I love the mood of this picture.

erilaz
04-12-2005, 01:57 AM
The colour of this work is really rich and atmospheric.

Kraull
04-15-2005, 09:00 PM
http://cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/8/6568/6568_1113598852_medium.jpg (http://cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/8/6568/6568_1113598852_large.jpg)

First of all, I would like to thanks you all for your usefull comments! ^_^ Since the last post, I've tried to adjust things I had lost and things that wasn't working good which you've pointed to me. The hardest part I've faced was the anatomic problems. Working with masses and sketch is a usefull technic to work quickly, but when it comes to details, you have to make it work and there is not a lot of place for "approximation"... Sad! ^_^

All the problems are not still corrected. I'll have to work on the hands of the sorceress and on some parts of her hat I would like to see disturbed by the wind cast by the apprentice spell.

On the apprentice, I would like to continue improving the costume (mainly the pockets which don't work ATM), and maybe also the face (if I've time). I prefer the previous version, the one that is looking down.

Other than that, the shape and effects of the spell will need some work. I'll keep this for the end.

Concerning lighting, the idea was to make the spell be the center of the scene with the 2 characters. So I've tried to push the light to its maximum of contrast and ambiance. The effect is not perfect, but this thing seems to glow now, compare with the previous version. It may be a little bit to saturated in some places (bad effects of color dodge...) but I think it's better than the last post.

Last changement in the image, I've re-cropped it slightly to isolate a little bit more the center of interest. This scene is more about proximity than wide landscape, so I think that in this optic it may work better.

Still a lot of work to do. It's time to solidify the thing by working on the balance of the image and its precision.

Thanks again for your support!

kornel
04-15-2005, 09:18 PM
This is going to be a Brilliant pic!

keep posting...

best regards: Kornél

lulaassassina
04-15-2005, 09:27 PM
So much potential here!
Keep up, I'm watching this thread! :D

Mythmaker
04-15-2005, 09:56 PM
Seems to coming along just fine! I like the detailing on the clothes. The lighting is also working well. Keep up it up! :)

artjunkie
04-15-2005, 11:53 PM
I really like where you're taking this one... those glowing petels really punch up the fact that something magical (and almost intimate) is happening between master and servant. Very nice atmosphere. I adore the girls costume too...nice design.

Keep going, buddy... things are falling into place fast!

Cheers!

JasonChan
04-16-2005, 12:47 AM
This is looking great! Can't believe I didn't see your thread until now.

Your GSO was amazing. You have a really great sense of lighting and color and your paint application is great. I'm really looking forward to seeing how this comes out.

Vahn
04-16-2005, 01:00 AM
wow... the dresses, the womans hat, the aprentices bag ... the atmosphere, the colors ....

this is an amazing piece of Art ... and what i loved from the beginning ....the background! I cant tell u why but i really really love that background :)

hehe my secret passion is always for earlier stages of paintings ...especially when digital... I enjoy seeing some rough brushstrokes and simple shading ...maybe thats why i like your bg so much :D

gj Kraull

monsitj
04-16-2005, 01:52 AM
very nice work Richard! lighting and value are great! hope I can paint like you some day!

Arc80
04-16-2005, 02:07 AM
Man, this is a really good update from your last. That lighting effect i think works. It's not overdone and it's not underwork. It communicates whats going on very well and your loose painting quality really complements the story telling. Just a thought, it would strengthen your piece if maybe you show more facial expression of the apprentice doing the magic. The master i think is just awesome. The costume design is great. BRILLIANT work dude :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

cheers,
Archie

XinYu224
04-16-2005, 02:37 AM
hi. very nice work.i like the face of the old woman and the girl.that's the thing that catch my eye the most.

about ur composition, i feel that the focus was too low to the lower right .and there's a sense of emty in between this 3 major elements. i just feel that if u can move those magic red leaf thing closer up to the little girl, that might help to make a better relation and focus.

anyway that is just my feeling. hope it help.

again, great stuff.

Vectorius
04-16-2005, 02:07 PM
Good picture !
I like your technik .. lights and shadows ambient are great.I've nothing to say..the feeling between characters is good.and...that's all:) ..just good

jeromoo
04-16-2005, 02:24 PM
What a great atmosphere this painting projects. But I am confused about this theme. It looks more like Master and Student/Master and Apprentice instead of Master and Servant. Does the former count for this contest? Its a pretty tricky subject.

Kraull
04-16-2005, 02:57 PM
Thanks for your comments everyone!!

Arc80
"Just a thought, it would strengthen your piece if maybe you show more facial expression of the apprentice doing the magic."
You're definitely right! I'll do something until the end about it. Sounds challenging!

XinYu224
"about ur composition, i feel that the focus was too low to the lower right .and there's a sense of emty in between this 3 major elements. i just feel that if u can move those magic red leaf thing closer up to the little girl, that might help to make a better relation and focus."
A huge thanks!!! I'll try that right away. I havn't flattened the spell already, so it'll be quite easy.

jeromoo
About the theme, I think the word servant can be apply to a lot of relationship. What I think is important here, it's to show a relationship between characters that don't possess the same level of power and influence upon each other. A master rule (or may rule) and a servant listen, is dependant, but he may be a friend and an ally, not just someone broken.

here is a part of the instruction for this challenge that I've used as guidelines:
The relationship of master-to-servant can be human-to-creature or creature-to-human, one-to-many or many-to-one. It could be based on power and conquest, love, hate, lust, benevolence, exploitation, faith, belligerence, psychosis, fear, adoration, debt, tradition, challenge... However, the nature of these roles is one that is particular to the human condition, and therefore requires at least one human component, whether in the dominant or the submissive role.

W-I-L
04-16-2005, 03:01 PM
It is looking magic! Your colours are so goood, and n ice touch with the erm petals. loving this.... i think this should place in the top fr sure

Squibbit
04-16-2005, 03:24 PM
yea this looks great, i so like the atmosphere

umbrellasky
04-16-2005, 03:58 PM
Looks amazing so far can't wiat to see it finished!! I'm still trying to decide whether to enter or not I have only just found out about this challenge as I'm new to cgtalk. Anyways amazing work here keep it going!

marcheen
04-16-2005, 05:03 PM
hi, i really like your image. i must say that your style matches with my taste. can't wait to see you develope it further. good luck!!

jeromoo
04-17-2005, 03:16 AM
Thanks for enlightening me, Richard. I wish you all the best!

ArtisticVisions
04-17-2005, 04:26 AM
Such an interesting, original entry - it's very captivating. :) (and I do see the Master/Servant relationship in it)

Only thought I have is the girl doesn't really look very young to me; something about the eyes, I think (maybe too dark?). Other than that, it looks like it'll turn out to be a great peice.

Kraull
04-17-2005, 05:10 AM
http://cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/8/6568/6568_1113714630_medium.jpg (http://cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/8/6568/6568_1113714630_large.jpg)

Thanks a lot again for your constructive comments!

I've finally begun to work on the spell. What I try to achieve is to get more dynamism in the composition and to enhance the feeling of magical power. I haven't decided yet what this spell would be. Less original would be the 4 elements. I rather prefer a spell that may bait some magic creatures (the flying green thing). The apprentice will then have to catch them in order to use them in some more complex spell or in the preparation of special items. If you have any more interesting suggestion... I'll gladly take it!

Arctis
04-17-2005, 08:58 AM
Hi Kraull,
In order to underline the presence of the spell, I would do a couple of changes :
- I would remove green shapes, because it's hard to rely theme to the rest of the spell. they don't define anything clear, to me.
- I would change global lighting, which remains a bit neutral for the moment, into something much darker, where the main (and quite strong ) light source would be the spell itself. Right now that spell is drown in the global color harmony, not detached enough, so there's a lack of hierarchy between the different elements of your pict.
Why not try to light the scene in a more smashing way ? ;)
Good luck.

PS : is it normal that the apprentice's right hand has only 4 fingers ?

flyingP
04-17-2005, 09:36 AM
- I would change global lighting, which remains a bit neutral for the moment, into something much darker, where the main (and quite strong ) light source would be the spell itself. Right now that spell is drown in the global color harmony, not detached enough, so there's a lack of hierarchy between the different elements of your pict.
Why not try to light the scene in a more smashing way ? ;)

would tend to agree with that myself.

still very much enjoy your designs and painting style though :bounce:

spacesnail
04-17-2005, 01:50 PM
Hello Kraull

I would think you could make the whole picture a little bit darker... and maybe you can add some kind of highlight in the eyes, by now, they seems a little empty.

About the whole picture itself, I like it very much.

Kraull
04-17-2005, 02:07 PM
http://cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/8/6568/6568_1113746873_medium.jpg (http://cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/8/6568/6568_1113746873_large.jpg)

Arctis, FlyingP, thanks for your comments. It's great to have fresh eyes to critic about the contrast and composition. I don't know if it's "punched" enough, but like you've said about the hierarchy, it helps to centralise the viewer on the main elements. It seems to me a litlle bit too saturated, but then, I'll clean it up at the end once I'll flatten this mess of lighting layers. Oh, and Arctis, look, there's a finger that have grown in the night... Magica! ;) I understand your point about the green spell. I don't think it makes the scene worse, but I think you're right that it changes the ambiance et the focus. It's less quiet and our attention is kept out of the main characters. It may be a bad thing in this case. I'll take again some of your enlightning comments guys anytime! ^_^

walrus
04-17-2005, 02:13 PM
It's looking good, Richard! I like this post more than the last one: I too found the green things distracting. Don't fall into the trap of overthinking the spell too much: If you get too concrete an idea of exactly what she's doing and try to convey it perfectly, it takes away some of the mystery of the piece, and, dare i say, some of the magic? The primary thing is to convey that she is practicing magic and let the viewer's mind explore from there. Which i think your piece is doing beautifully right now. Anyhow, just my opinion.

now that you've punched up the spell and the contrast, might be nice to see some more shadows cast by the spell, too. anyhow, looking great and i know you have lots more you'll want to do with it too... good luck!

-mike

BaronImpossible
04-17-2005, 03:11 PM
Your last post looks 10X better. The simplification and increase in contrast with a reliance on the spell as the main lightsource really makes it work. My only crit is that the old woman's head seems too far forwards given the position of her shoulder and the angle of her head. Looking wonderful.

SideAche
04-17-2005, 03:27 PM
This is coming along wonderfully Richard. Your painterly approach really adds life to the work. Outstanding. I also think this one is on the right track. :thumbsup:

Arctis
04-17-2005, 03:57 PM
Much much better !!! It really gives a new strength to your comp.
About saturation, don't touch anything, please : your palette is naturaly very subtile, but the danger of a subtile palette is that it can give a flat result... I know what I'm talking about, because I have this problem sometimes... A good kick in the ass of the pict can be really necessary !
Though the result is nice, I would be curious to see how it would look with an even more contrasted light (just to explore this new way at its maximum). ;)
I think the light source is a bit odd on the elder's face : the light should come from the front (spell), not from behind (window). The spell 's light should also more interact on her (his?) hand.

Keep it up, man, it's really worth !

PS : cool for the hand !

authentic
04-17-2005, 08:09 PM
I'll just say : what a great atmosphere

flyingP
04-17-2005, 08:22 PM
:thumbsup:
personally I'd like to perhaps see more highlights on the figures now, and maybe some more contrast in the background, coming along nicely though :D

jonalaz_art
04-17-2005, 08:26 PM
I cant wait to see this finished, I love those glowing petals if that is what they are, and great lighting as well, keep up the great work!

kornel
04-17-2005, 08:30 PM
Better and better...! I love everything on your pic. This is my favourite... :thumbsup:

keep posting

best regards: Kornél

artjunkie
04-17-2005, 08:32 PM
I LOVE these newest changes... and I don't think the glowing effects on the spell are too bright at all. It adds nice focus (and I like how you've darkened the surrounding environment) and drama to the scene. Brilliant!

Keep going, man... this one's gonna be amazing when it's done! :bounce:

Cheers!

creativer
04-17-2005, 10:58 PM
Very emotive and engaging scene! Awesome colouring too!

Robert Longfield
04-17-2005, 11:07 PM
Great atmosphere! I love the indian feel to it.

Cant wait to see the finished one!

danblomberg
04-18-2005, 02:41 AM
great!.. love the characters... i prefer the colors in the page4 version though.. but i can understand that this latest version can appeal to a larger mass of the lazy audience.... hmm.. tricky choice. awell anyhow the characters owns so u'll win no matter what =)

naresh
04-18-2005, 09:38 AM
hey dude nice work and also style too..allthe best:thumbsup:

Arc80
04-21-2005, 10:25 PM
NIce, very nice. The contrast really kicked it up a notch. This is really great dude. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

cheers

prostrise
04-21-2005, 10:27 PM
very cool piece of work here bro!

Slav
04-22-2005, 05:57 AM
this is definatly top notch. i love the work process... :thumbsup:

TeemuR
04-22-2005, 06:11 AM
Really like the mood in it. It's definately going to right direction :)
Hope to see more soon... :bounce:

Kraull
04-22-2005, 07:53 PM
http://cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/8/6568/6568_1114199637_medium.jpg (http://cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/8/6568/6568_1114199637_large.jpg)

Thanks again for your great support and comments! Since the last update, I've added some lights on the wood-like structure behind the characters. I've also adjust light on the witch. I hope I didn't change to much the ambiance. I guess the contrast, the composition and the colors are ok in general. I'll now begin to clean it up a little. I'll also add some highlights here and there, but I think it may be near completion. About the background, I'll work on it but I'll keep it blurry and sketchy. I'll make it suggest an environment, but I don't think I'll throw myself in details. I think it may be better, considering the theme of this challenge, to keep the eye focus on the main action (like some of you have comment me before:). Comments will be very welcome before I merge all these layers!!

lotaH
04-22-2005, 09:26 PM
Great ligths!! Congratulations!

Dont stop the study!! Good luck!

[]'s

MLongfield
04-22-2005, 09:38 PM
I like this pic a lot. The use of colors, brush strokes and composition are very good. I also like the spell effect you have chosen for the apprentice, it looks like something a beginner would cast and delicate looking like it would be a healing spell.

Only crit I have is that they dont have eyeballs. I'm not sure if you intended to put them in or not so I'll see when the pic is finished.

Great job so far!

goktugg
04-23-2005, 12:42 AM
.firstly...great work...going very well...nice idea*concept...your color choice is perfect.your brush strokes are looking good.
good luck`mate.waiting your another update!:)

Slick
04-23-2005, 12:44 AM
Absolutely amazing. You've really captured an essence of master/slave(pupil) with the relationship between these two characters. Great composition too. My eye gets pulled between the two characters and that background (is that a city burning?). I can't wait to see the final result. Keep on rockin!

Tom

artjunkie
04-23-2005, 01:51 AM
Wow... I can't look at this piece enough. I love this little secret, almost intimately magical moment happening here. Great talent on your part to capture this. :applause: Oh, and I love the addition of the light & shadows on the wood structure behind them... really adds depth to the piece, I think.

Beautiful work as always, my man... keep it up!

Cheers!

Arc80
04-23-2005, 03:49 AM
I just wanted to drop by and say that this is looking really amazing. More...more updates please.

cheers

Arctis
04-23-2005, 09:57 AM
Hi,
Nicer and nicer....
About the background, I think the wood structure should be more unobtrusive : right now it's becoming a disturbing shape (even if it's well rendered.)
The fact is that this structure receive more light than the elder, who is closer to the spell... illogical I think.
The elder is too dark compared the kid : there sould be spotlights on his (her) arm, and on his (her) face too.
Great work on the clothes : I don't see what you want to clean (!?).
You say you want to merge the layer : personnaly, I keep a version of every step of my painting process...
Keep up the great work, man !

ThierryS
04-23-2005, 10:14 AM
Really like this a lot. Beautiful light and theme.:) :thumbsup: Can't wait to see the final result.

Kraull
04-23-2005, 05:45 PM
Thanks for your comments and crits everyone!!

M.Longfield
About the eye balls, well, I don't know what to say about it. I kind of like to make them black. It may be a style or a bad habit, but I often like the effect it produces when I'm drawing characters. But I agree it may look a little bit weird, and worse because we are quite near the characters. I'll maybe try something about that, but I don't hate it this way.

Arctis
There is definitely something illogical in the lighting effect. The problem is that when I light up her face and arm, it disturbs considerably the balance in the composition. Her clothes are so dark that if I just light too much her skin, it pops up and it seems... weird and unconfortable. So, the solution might be to light her clothes too, but then, it changes the hierachy between the characters and the action. But I guess there may be some adjustment I could still do. I'll may cheat a little too, with theatrical lighting. You've given matter to think about... :)

phoboalien
04-23-2005, 06:14 PM
Hallo Kraull, this work is amazing, I truly like the shining of the spell, the way the light diffuses around. Good work with the shadows on the wood and I think you are right leaving the back with the blur effect. I hope I'll succed doing a work so good as yours!
see next time,
phoboalien

My master & servant (http://http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?threadid=232571)

Notanymore
04-23-2005, 06:43 PM
Excellent work. I like the concept... the lightning effect is very well done, and I would suggest more reflexions on the characters.
Good luck

Miyagu
04-23-2005, 06:53 PM
magical.. i love the mood of this one.. :) very beautyful.. the expression on their faces is very well done.. :thumbsup: *waiting for updates*

GhostInTheMachine
04-23-2005, 08:26 PM
this is the best painting in the comp by a margin. hope it finishes as well as it has developed. well done!

Arctis
04-24-2005, 11:26 AM
Thanks for your comments and crits everyone!!

Arctis
There is definitely something illogical in the lighting effect. The problem is that when I light up her face and arm, it disturbs considerably the balance in the composition. Her clothes are so dark that if I just light too much her skin, it pops up and it seems... weird and unconfortable. So, the solution might be to light her clothes too, but then, it changes the hierachy between the characters and the action. But I guess there may be some adjustment I could still do. I'll may cheat a little too, with theatrical lighting. You've given matter to think about... :)

I guess it's a question of balance. I would say that sometimes, we need to be a bit illogical to make a better comp. Many great painters added light source when they needed to. In that state of mind, I would not be disturbed if the elder's face was the only part to get a little more light, letting the clothes as dark as before...
Good luck.

LouisBrowne
04-25-2005, 04:41 PM
Easily my favouite idea from the competition, It's a seriously briliant idea! Love the title too, plus it has no monsters in it!! < I think the rest us like monsters a little toO much, including me :(

I never commented on your space opera image, but I look at it all the time! Love the dirty water, and weird character.

ogm, I think I'm a fanboy!

Zephyri
04-25-2005, 04:52 PM
My, this piece has really come on some since I last looked. It has such a hauntingly beautiful aura to it, I can't help but stare at it and feel transported somewhere else. The textures you've put into this are what make it feel so rich and lively, even though the colour palette is somewhat muted. I have to say, I still love the witch's face, and body language, they have that wonderful depiction of patience with a hint of happiness as the pupil makes her first discovery. Just gorgeous!

Matt-Bortolino
04-26-2005, 01:08 PM
Beautiful work- I love the warm intimate composition, the theme, character & costume design & the texture (tricky to do with digital media). Something I liked from an earlier version were the swirling elements in the spell. I think they really brought it to life & gave a sense of movement. The only other crit is that I'm not sure where the girl's legs are & whether she's kneeling or standing. Perhaps you could add the suggestion of a skirt at the bottom of the picture continuing off the frame, so we can be sure she's standing?

Kraull
04-30-2005, 02:39 PM
Thanks a lot for your comments everyone!!

Arctis
I'm presently working on lighting the elder a little bit more... So far, I think you may be right. :)

`mb
Thanks to have pointed it! I'll see what I can do about it.

arkinet
04-30-2005, 03:45 PM
awesome dude, you got the right style for the image, the ambiance... you have the feel for the brushes & textures... really cool. love it... i think you are right doing details in jst some spot, leaving areas in subtle shades. great work!!!:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

abourabe
04-30-2005, 04:00 PM
nice drawing and concept
I like the lighting its seems very warm . good luck for you

funshark
04-30-2005, 04:25 PM
wow
nice composition/mood/colorz !

FIDUCIOSE
04-30-2005, 05:40 PM
Awesome mann!! the lighting and color palette are so nice.
Stick on ya works to see further progress.

Goro
04-30-2005, 11:35 PM
I'm watching your thread for a while now and it just gets better and better.
I love the mood in your painting.
How about some higlights in the eyes of the little girl?
And I think her left arm must be highlighted by the glowing leaves.

Very very good! :applause:

PascalR
05-01-2005, 04:10 AM
Amazing work!

I have just visited your website and your work is really cool.
Bravo Richard c'est superbe!!
Pascal

the real CHU
05-01-2005, 06:15 AM
I am just lovin' this. Very well lit and thought up. The only thing I can suggest is more detail in the faces. But that's my style. I love faces.

-CHU

Kraull
05-02-2005, 03:16 AM
http://cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/8/6568/6568_1115003813_medium.jpg (http://cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/8/6568/6568_1115003813_large.jpg)

I think it's almost done. Since the last post, I've just played a little with light, I've also added some details and adjustment here and there. I guess I may be near the end.

I'll wait a week before the final post, so if you see something weird in the image, I'll be glad to here about it! ^_^'

arLutiK
05-02-2005, 03:48 AM
Very nice, love those little light and they suit the title.

Very nice composition, great work :applause:

monsitj
05-02-2005, 05:32 AM
nice composition , and lighting is awesome, very "kraull -style" , good job:thumbsup:

Tranchefeux
05-02-2005, 12:00 PM
Hi, good progression on your painting the colors and environment much
always cool, your am made painting I likes Hi and the addition
of the lights is successful more, go, go for the continuation. :thumbsup:

GhostInTheMachine
05-02-2005, 12:03 PM
:thumbsup: this is so good mate! well done. just the kinda painterly style i hope to develop.

liquidwerx
05-03-2005, 06:54 AM
I think this piece really rocks. But I also think it could use a little more attention in the details department. I understand you want to keep things loose and not focus too much on details, but I think it would really add to the piece if you brought the details out a little more in the girl's dress and the old woman's face and head-dress.

Just a suggestion. And I do love the mood of this illo. =)

M

MDN67
05-03-2005, 10:31 AM
a very great pic, very emotional, i like this, good work

TheFirstAngel
05-04-2005, 02:53 PM
Beautifull, the glow of magic works very fine. no crits so far, just awaiting your next update :) keep on rocking!

fensterer
05-04-2005, 04:15 PM
I really like your lighting and the color is very warm, nice work!:thumbsup:

PeterPuppet
05-04-2005, 04:21 PM
Simply awesome. No crits here. I just can´t find anything.:thumbsup:

peace, pete

snowkiwi
05-04-2005, 05:30 PM
This painting has really nice charm with the texture work, lighting, and coloring.

kornel
05-04-2005, 08:08 PM
This is really peaceful and humanic! I love this image - colors and emotions! You are my favourite in this comp!

Grat! Kornél

xric7
05-05-2005, 05:45 AM
so impressive!!:) :thumbsup:
i love this emotion.
cheers.

T-lapia
05-05-2005, 05:52 AM
oh so nice! :applause: i am loving the lighting. still a little rough... but this is turning out great!

mikkamakka
05-05-2005, 12:24 PM
:applause: :applause: :applause:

Jezzarts
05-05-2005, 02:03 PM
I will always be impressed by the way you use colour... really nice.

sho-nuff
05-05-2005, 02:38 PM
i like the glowing effect and the chunkiness of the elders face. It looks like it feels, like clumpy skin....noice.

navylete
05-05-2005, 10:59 PM
Perfect lighting = amazing atmosphere
Good luck

sioyong
05-06-2005, 02:17 AM
wow, i really like that..cool !!! how u make it

artjunkie
05-06-2005, 10:54 AM
Dude, this looks absolutely wonderful. It was a pleasure to see you work this one out... and all that work has obviously paid off. A real masterpiece, bro... I love it!

Good luck in the final judging!

Cheers!

xric7
05-07-2005, 06:07 AM
wow..
very impressive!:bounce:
congrat.:applause: :buttrock:

Arctis
05-11-2005, 03:08 PM
My favourite picture of that challenge.
Got my vote, and hope to see more from you.

RichTee
05-11-2005, 03:26 PM
I love the colours in this image...but what i particularly like is the complete lack of light in those eyes....spooky :)

I find the highlight on the childs right arm a little too strong, such harsh light would surely catch the childs face as well, maybe try to tone it down a little or alternatively increase the highlights around the face.

Great image....well done

ms@zx
05-11-2005, 03:40 PM
impressive!!this is one great quality piece,great sense of light~one of the best i've seen among the entries.:thumbsup::thumbsup:bravo!

cOrbeau
05-11-2005, 04:00 PM
I really like it , good luck ! :thumbsup:

AdrielaSakamoto
05-12-2005, 07:17 AM
I really love this picture. There's something in it that reminds me of those old, wonderful illustrations in children's books of long ago. I can see this as one of the colorplates, and the image makes me want to know the story.

Very well done, and much good luck with the Challenge..

Adri

flyingP
05-12-2005, 08:11 AM
http://cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/8/6568/6568_1115003813_medium.jpg (http://cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/8/6568/6568_1115003813_large.jpg)I'll wait a week before the final post, so if you see something weird in the image, I'll be glad to here about it! ^_^'

not a weird thing, and I am not even sure about it myself so if you are happy with it feel free to ignore me, just not sure about the lighting on her hand that is casting the spell though ...think it's mostly the tops of the fingers or the hightlight on the back of her hand... if they are perhaps just a tad too light :shrug: .........ahhh sod it, it is a minor thing, when. I still love your images, and style and this piece is damn good. Great colours, great depth, great mood :thumbsup:

Fish-KAart
05-12-2005, 05:19 PM
Wau!! Super!:eek:

NinjaA55N
05-15-2005, 11:19 AM
I think I didnt stopped by this thread yet, but following it all the time. So I just poped in now to say I love it!

Kraull
05-16-2005, 02:17 AM
http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/8/6568/6568_1116209835_medium.jpg (http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/8/6568/6568_1116209835_large.jpg)

Finally...!! Here is the final image. There is no big change from the last post. I've added some green tone at some places to get rid a little of the monochromatic hue and I've also adjusted some lights and contrast here and there.

A real big thanks for all your support and great comments!! Your help have been very helpful and enrichissante.

Take care everyone!
Good bye! ^__^

arLutiK
05-16-2005, 02:41 AM
Congragulation Richard, you finished it, great peice of artwork you did there. :thumbsup:

Gord-MacDonald
05-16-2005, 03:16 AM
Beautiful! Congratulations

Gord

AdrielaSakamoto
05-16-2005, 03:23 AM
I think my favorite portion of this image is the lush left sleeve of the mentor. ? You've captured the volume of rich fabrics so eloquently, and the expressions are dead on beautifully done. Though the tone is dark, the image doesn't inspire dread. It is as if we are being granted a peek into their domain, their haunts, if you will, and our opinions of them matter not at all. Masterfully done.

Best of luck in the challenge,

Adri

kerembeyit
05-16-2005, 05:01 AM
Great piece. Expressions are stunning. Good luck.

SunnySiu
05-16-2005, 05:09 AM
Wow, beautiful lighting and texture. The concept is bewitchingly charming.

taz23
05-16-2005, 06:49 AM
Congrats man, looks awesome! :thumbsup: great atmosphere. Characters and colors just great! Congratulations again and good luck!

authentic
05-16-2005, 08:04 AM
Maybe the best picture for me. So beautiful. Even if think it don't fit really the theme of master and sevant. Anyway congratulations for so much feelings.:thumbsup:

xric7
05-16-2005, 07:55 PM
very beautiful final image.
great work.:thumbsup: :thumbsup:
congrats.
:applause: :bounce: :buttrock:

Vahn
05-16-2005, 07:58 PM
:bowdown: grats kraull ...i love this from first sketch to final image ...very cool art :D :applause:

MDN67
05-16-2005, 09:19 PM
it's a very emotional pic, i like this the painting style and the work on the lighting? Good work and good luck

Miyagu
05-16-2005, 09:40 PM
hi richard!

i really loved this picture from the beginning! :)

wish you the very very best for the contest! good luck!!! :thumbsup:

see you around next time! :bounce::bounce::bounce:

cheers!

benita

phoboalien
05-16-2005, 09:48 PM
well well richard...WOW is the only thing I've to say! U have such a carateristic touch on your work...congratulation you own my admiration:scream:
see U, phoboalien

monkeybeach
05-16-2005, 11:58 PM
this is the definately the best image in the challenge. the sketchy style isn't my favourite, but the mood, and most of all the faces are just pure gold.

Kraull
05-17-2005, 01:52 AM
Thanks a lot everyone! I'm really glad you like it! ^_^'

viag
05-17-2005, 02:12 AM
hello thanks for the comment

i really like your pic too , subtle lighting and nice colors ! i really like the mood of the pic

JasonChan
05-17-2005, 03:55 AM
You've done it again! I always love the moods you create with your paintings. Congratulations on finishing your image. Good luck!

eliza
05-17-2005, 05:16 AM
awesome idea and a very solid work. trully one of the best entries so far!:)

regards

sgtpepper
05-18-2005, 06:33 AM
Hello!!
Your old award winner badge wasn´t a lucky strike, your lastest work realy rox.
I don´t realy have anything to add, looks very good.
This is one of my favorites.. good luck in the challenge!! :applause:

LouisBrowne
05-19-2005, 12:14 PM
I love that it really stands out in mood. If I was to compare it to a movie I'd say it was Dune - which immersed you in a world like no other. There's so much mood in your image.

Good luck

MattDixon
05-19-2005, 12:27 PM
Beautiful. You've done a great job here, Richard - the lighting, expressions of the characters and colour scheme all come together really well to create a very evocative, magical scene.

I really like your loose, textural mark making too. Great style.

All the best!

phoboalien
05-19-2005, 09:26 PM
I already told u that this would have been one of my favourite pieces! I love it for the style, for the tone of colours and the way u stroked them and then for the characters who look great!
to me u must be awarned with something! looks for next challenge to see ur new work,
phoboalien

paperclip
05-20-2005, 09:59 PM
Hey, I love this! It has a rather Christmassy feel to it- the evocative feeling and the glowing lights.
Very beautiful. I also enjoy exploring your technique.

Just thought you'd like to know how much I liked it.:thumbsup: Good luck...

TheFirstAngel
05-21-2005, 04:46 PM
loved your work from the moment i found it mate and just came to congratulate you on your fantastic final piece! best of luck on the finals, your work rocks!!!:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Kalomus
05-24-2005, 06:48 PM
this is definitely my favorite among all the entries. good job.

Belhaven
05-25-2005, 12:12 AM
in my eyes, this is one of the best in the entire competition. i really like this one man...

Jezzarts
05-25-2005, 06:58 AM
Lovely brush strokes, that light really sets the mood, cool image mate. good luck with it!

Miyagu
06-30-2005, 12:27 AM
this is such a beautiful image.. congrats anyway! :thumbsup:

artjunkie
07-01-2005, 11:22 AM
Aw, dude... I totally thought this one would have placed in the top ten at least... just too many good pieces of art to whittle down, I guess. Anyhoo, it doesn't lessen the genious of your masterpiece here... I absolutely love it. You should be proud. Yay!

Looking forward to seeing you in the next challenge... oh, and thanks so much for your helpful input and encouragement on my entry.

Cheers!

CGTalk Moderation
07-01-2005, 11:22 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.