PDA

View Full Version : Does My Animation Suck?

toonpang
09-25-2002, 07:41 PM
These are a few tests I did using the Maya IKjoe setup.

Please let me know what I can do to make these feel stronger.. I'm going for a stiff muscleman type of character.

http://www.funkgarden.com/animation.html

Thanks,

-Kevin

------------------------------------
Kevin Bates - Animator
http://www.funkgarden.com

freddy7133d
09-25-2002, 07:48 PM
ummmmm....... looks good to me.
for a cartoon character? right?
if so, its perfect.

good job.:thumbsup:

goosh
09-25-2002, 07:55 PM
Hi Kevin

It's good to see IK-Joe out there :applause:

Ok... here is a little critic on your animations

HandSpring:
The begining is very nice... I like the pose he hits in the begining when he leans back...
I do feel like the timing is waaay slow when he jumps though... make him snapy.. at the moment he talkes like 25 frames to stand up... do it in 6 or so.. and see what happens...
The last pose can also be stronger... think on your silluete... if you move the right arm a little bit more to the left of the screen (character right) the pose would be a lot stronger.

Strong Run:
I like it.. it would be nice to see it on a 3/4 view... it's tough to see some details with a front view...
Maybe the forearms could be just a little bit looser though..

Strong Walk:
I like it too.. very nice.. again, it would be nice to see a 3/4 view

great work though.. I'm glad he is animatable.. I haven't really tried to animate him yet.. Hmm.. maybe I should :)

Goosh

toonpang
09-25-2002, 10:08 PM
thanks for the replies. I'll be using these before I add them to my demo reel.. thanks!

-Kevin

Rogue
09-26-2002, 04:06 AM
I agree with goosh on the first one. I think the poses and showing the weight is really good, but the timing could stand some tweaking on the jump.

As for the run and walk, I can't really see and movement in the forearms and wrist. It may be there but just can't see it from the front view. There also doesn't appear to be any lag (or offset) in the motion of the forearms and wrists. If there is, try exagerating it a little. Also, in the run, his arms appear to be held a little high, but that may just be personal taste.

Lastly, it there doesn't appear to be a step in the walk cycle. I mean where the foot rotates up a little before contacting the floor. There is in the run, I think it'd help the walk to.

Over all, it's good stuff. There lots of motion and dynamics happening. It just needs a little tweaking on a few things. And no, it doesn't suck.

Show us the revisions.

toonpang
09-26-2002, 12:52 PM
Thanks for the great comments, I've uptated the movie files in the same location to include some of the feedback I've been getting.

Thanks!

-Kevin

goosh
09-26-2002, 08:45 PM
Hi Kevin

it's getting there

The jump still needs to be a lot faster..

Snap snap snap it!!!
it should be only a few frames... and the hand at the end still looks strange.. open up the elbow and I think that should do it

The run and walk look cool, though I would loosen up the wrists a little bit more

Great stuff.. it's looking cool

Goosh

Ripley
09-29-2002, 12:24 AM
no your animation doesn't suck! It just needs finessing, that's the fun part.

Flip: more snappy timing, I agree.
He does 2 steps at the end. On the first one I'd add more bounce, I think it will sell the fact that the flip was hard. Instead of just a huge flip into a perfectly composed stance with a mini step. The second step, isn't possible. By his body's position, all his weight is resting on the leg he lifts. I'd just take that part out (it weakens the animation) and concentrate on the hand thing more. He's emoting something with the hand, I'd like more time to read it. Maybe flip, bounce into the stance, settle, pause, hand motion with a slight pose adjust to sell it?

Run: cool run! couple tiny things I see. I'd add more wrist lag and bounce. And I'd make the feet slap the ground faster. I'd tweek the timing on the foot rotation. 2 maybe 3 frames from bent to when it hits the ground to flat. Feet just seem too fluid for a strong run.

Walk: first thing I noticed was there's a pause in your cycle. I think it's mid way in the right foot's step. If you're going for a strong walk, I'd just keep his hands fisted. The slight open close of the hands is saying he's relaxed, not flexed.. equaling strength. I'd give him a bit more weight in his up/down movement. Other than that it's good!

I like your tests. The things I suggest are only minor points. But attention to little details stands out on a reel imo. I would also put your walks and runs on their translation path's for your demo. Doing a cycle in 1 spot is step on, making the feet not slide during the forward motion is step 2.
Good job!

toonpang
09-29-2002, 01:19 AM
Thanks everyone for the reply and for taking the time to check out my animation. I've gotten alot of great help from this forum.

The latest revisions are up at my website:

http://www.funkgarden.com/animation.html

you guys rock! :airguitar

-Kevin

dvornik
10-02-2002, 05:01 AM
Hand Spring - you may want to have a more aggressive head turn to show more attitude. You could push the pose more on the lifting and pull tests, like make him get into more extreme poses for a moment .

One question - what kind of setup did you use for your pencil drawings? Hardware/software-wise? I have to put together a system to do just that (penciltest) and can't come up with a good solution.

rason
10-06-2002, 06:14 PM
very impressive

allthough the strong walk it not quite there with the rest of your animeation

but otherwise very impressive:thumbsup:

CGTalk Moderation
01-13-2006, 06:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.