PDA

View Full Version : Master and Servant 2D Entry: Mike May

feeb
03-25-2005, 12:19 AM
Mike May has entered the Master and Servant 2D.

Challenge Page (http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/masterandservant/view_entries.php?challenger=6499)

Latest Update: Final Image: The Beckon
http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/8/6499/6499_1116440255_medium.jpg (http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/8/6499/6499_1116440255_large.jpg)

Final entry! Thank you so much, everyone, for your suggestions! I will continue working on this for personal gratification, but here is my final entry... I hope you like!

feeb
03-25-2005, 12:23 AM
Brand new here. I will do a rough sketch tonight.

pushav
03-25-2005, 12:28 AM
Nice. Hopefully I will be able to see them.

rizob
03-25-2005, 02:18 AM
awwwwwjjjjea, welcome, bout to sign up meself.....feeb smash em

feeb
03-25-2005, 03:16 AM
Alright! Submitted my concept! Aaannnd... off I go to do less interesting things...

feeb
03-25-2005, 06:23 AM
http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/8/6499/6499_1111720607_medium.jpg (http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/8/6499/6499_1111720607_large.jpg)

Ok, so my idea here is to have a giant creature-type in the background. I didn't really get the size I was going for on this one, but I'll definitely do my best to push it. Anyway, we have a beautiful girl in the foreground summoning him with a strange instrument. I'm definitely excited about the general mood I have established in this quick sketch. More to come soon!

feeb
03-26-2005, 10:28 AM
http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/8/6499/6499_1111832880_medium.jpg (http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/8/6499/6499_1111832880_large.jpg)

From night #1. I'm going to be uploading final linework soon. I just realized I could update my image. :)

OKMER
03-26-2005, 11:34 AM
Looks like a great start,man!!!Nice sketches!tell us more about the story:bounce:
Good luck and loads of fun 2 U.

feeb
03-26-2005, 01:19 PM
http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/8/6499/6499_1111843174_medium.jpg (http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/8/6499/6499_1111843174_large.jpg)

I feel I've come far enough with the linework to start in with the colors next. However, we'll see how it goes. I feel like I need to flush everything out, but I also know I'll still need room to still be creative on the canvas once I start in with the painting.

W-I-L
03-26-2005, 01:26 PM
really liking this... original and eerie. like the feel. cant wait to see colour.

feeb
03-26-2005, 10:28 PM
http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/8/6499/6499_1111876083_medium.jpg (http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/8/6499/6499_1111876083_large.jpg)

Not a huge update, but I feel better about flushing out the linework more. Now am comfortable with going in with the colors.

The story I'm thinking of, is that the girl and beast have come to a section of the jungle to explore, and she's ready to go, so she's summoning him with the instrument she's holding to her lips. I have yet to design clothes for her. I was thinking of keeping her nude, but I think a lovely fantasy dress would be better.

Stewart08
03-26-2005, 11:24 PM
very cool keep up the good work. cant wait to see the finished pic.

artjunkie
03-27-2005, 12:08 AM
I can see awesome potential for this piece... your linework is very nice, something about it kinda reminds me of Brian Froud's work just a little. I LIKE!

Good luck, and I'll check back later!

GaeasHerald
03-27-2005, 12:08 AM
Very neat! I agree with you, a dress would be good, there are already enough nude women on this challenge. The only thing that worries me about your piece is that the girl is too small and too far away to see her emotions/expresions, which as far as I understand is the key point in this comp. If you move her up closer, IMO, you'll go from a good picture to a superb one.

feeb
03-27-2005, 12:53 AM
Thanks a lot everyone! :D

GaeasHerald, I was worried about that. Since you brought it up, I'll definitely experiment with figuring out a way to bring her closer to the viewer. My only concern is that it would take away from the layout of the entire piece. I feel like I'm showing just exactly what I want to show in the layout (I'd hate to crop the tree, etc), but I also think preserving my favorite part of the piece, at the expense of the rest of the piece, isn't a good idea. So thanks again for the suggestion. I'll definitely see what I can do! :)

polybuilder
03-27-2005, 01:00 AM
This is very nice. Great drawing and vision. Why not try make the actual canvas bigger, and bring the girl closer and on the right:)

feeb
03-27-2005, 05:25 AM
Closer and on the right? Do you mean bring her closer to the right side of the canvas? I'm up for bringing her closer, and intrigued by making the entire canvas larger- but I'm struggling to see what you mean in terms of composition. Any chance yr up for doing a quick sketch to show what you mean? Thanks for the input- I really love the ideas you guys are giving. Although I appreciate the support of the votes of confidence (don't stop them coming), I really value the ideas that contribute to help make this a better piece. :)

Rhenia
03-27-2005, 05:31 AM
I can't wait to see the hues that you choose....your line work gives it such feeling...ill be watchin this thread

eclipson
03-27-2005, 07:03 AM
nice concept and outline, look forward to see more.

GoodLux!:thumbsup:

Nigel-Q
03-27-2005, 08:04 AM
i really like these drawings, man.
you might wanna try cropping it a bit in order to bring the focus towards the girl a bit more if your up for experimenting with your composition - just a thought.

keep 'em coming!

feeb
03-27-2005, 10:11 AM
http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/8/6499/6499_1111918263_medium.jpg (http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/8/6499/6499_1111918263_large.jpg)

I brought the girl closer, as the awesome people in my thread suggested. I didn't want this to be a painting with her as the main focus, but the theme itself. However, I've put a lot of thought into sweeping the tree limbs, light, etc, toward her, so she definitely is brought to attention. The creature is carefully framed, and placed so that the eye also finds him.

I'm happy with the essential mood I've established with the rough colors, and feel it's solid enough that I can move forward.

paulwdavidson
03-27-2005, 10:37 AM
I love this.........bags of potential. I'm going to keep a close eye on this one. Lovely composition. The two colour set ups for each side of the scene will bring a fantastic feel to the mood

Keep it up

Paul

W-I-L
03-27-2005, 10:50 AM
looking so much better with colour. its great..no crits just keep going mate.

offbeatworlds
03-27-2005, 06:30 PM
Wow, I am loving your concepts so far. Great color scheme and composition. That tree is awesome!

GaeasHerald
03-27-2005, 09:44 PM
I've been thinking about your situation, and this is what i've come up with: keep the girl in the same position but facing the other way, placed against another tree but this time really closer to the viewer (and to the right as polybuilder said). That way you don't have to cover too much of the tree, and you get to detail her face much more. The tree is awesome I agree, and I know it's a shame to have it cropped, but sometimes it's better to cover some parts of your work, rather than having all elements scattered through the picture, not interfering with each other. If you don't mind, I could scketch over your pic to show you what I mean.
Hope it helps. :)

feeb
03-27-2005, 10:52 PM
Sure, I'd love to see what you're thinking. Sketch away. :)

espaki
03-27-2005, 11:11 PM
Good stuff so far Mikey - Im looking forward to where you take this--

Ant4d
03-28-2005, 12:21 AM
it's great to see you in the challenge feeb. the picture is looking magical. i love the warm and cold color relationship you have. keep it up.

GaeasHerald
03-28-2005, 12:27 AM
Here it is. Just modified your pic in photoshop (didn't dare to draw over, cause you're way better at drawing than me).
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y37/Patrick_Star/feeb1.jpg

This is what I had in mind. Tried not to cover the tree too much.

feeb
03-28-2005, 05:38 AM
Thanks a lot for the PhotoShop paintover! I see what you mean about bringing her closer, and it would definitely make her play a bigger part- see her features better. :)

I really appreciate the input, and will see if I can make something of it. As it stands now, I personally think the layout is sacrificed as an expense of bringing the girl into better focus. I like the simplicity of the one tree- visually pointing down to her. I hope you don't think I don't value your input, or that you've wasted your efforts. On the contrary, it gives me more resolve to do what I can to make this piece stronger. I'll continue the painting as it's going now, but perhaps find another method to bring her forward- even though I really don't think it's that important. Bringing her closer isn't, in my opinion, going to make the piece stronger. :)

Thanks again! I'm going to get back to painting now!

francis001
03-28-2005, 06:00 AM
Hey Mike

Beautiful illustration - love the lighting and the line work. The story setup seems pretty clear to me. I actually like the back to back stances of the characters - with the woman facing away, it makes her seem more like she's summoning the creature, rather than requesting its presence, if that makes sense...

feeb
03-28-2005, 07:18 AM
http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/8/6499/6499_1111994337_medium.jpg (http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/8/6499/6499_1111994337_large.jpg)

Again- not a huge update, but significant, in my opinion, to share. I'm establishing some warms, and essentially the basic pallette. It's not as strong as I'd like, but it'll get there in time, I'm sure.

You can probably see that I've paid a little attention to the tree and foreground area. Very slight, but again- significant. I didn't get to paint nearly as much as I'd have liked over the weekend, but I'm happy that the entire piece, from beginning to now, is all created over the weekend- so I have been relatively productive, and that counts! I might not be updating much on the weekdays- giving that my work schedule demands I pay attention to textures, and not contest entries. However, this is where the real fun is! :)

GaeasHerald
03-28-2005, 02:15 PM
Hey, your picture does looks awesome as it is! Even if I only reassured your intention to keep it the way it is, I'm glad that you were so open to other ideas :)
Maybe now you feel more pleased with the original composition, and that's good cause it builds confidence. Keep up the good work ;).

feeb
03-28-2005, 04:47 PM
GaeasHerald, you rock. I like you. Thanks a ton- and I hope you don't hold back further suggestions. :) I'll continue to be open to them.

polybuilder
03-28-2005, 06:12 PM
Thanks GaeasHerald, I tried to come back earlier, but what you've shown is exactly what I had in mind, bringing the girl to the right with another tree. She would be right up close, heeps of room for detail too! The tree in the middle is beautiful, well... it's just beautiful. Maybe another tree in that style would be great to be lookin' at.

BUT, feeb, your piece is just brilliant. There's notting bad or even close to it, that I can say about the way it's turning out. Can't wait to see more:)

lanedaughtry
03-29-2005, 12:41 AM
I find this one captivating. I think its the posing of the characters, how the song player seems to be coyly luring the beast or just starting to at least.

Very cool to say the least.

Good luck with it.

-L

feeb
03-29-2005, 12:06 PM
http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/8/6499/6499_1112098001_medium.jpg (http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/8/6499/6499_1112098001_large.jpg)

I decided, while painting tonight, that the colors I had going were totally dead. So what I did was make the colors... not so dead heheh. I'm struggling with coming up with colors that make me happy -especially with the tree. However, I'm happy with the progress. I'm not a gifted painter, so I have to spend a lot of time fudging and repairing and depending on input from peers... which I hope continues to happen with this one!

feeb
03-29-2005, 12:12 PM
polybuilder, thanks again fella. :) lane_daughtry, you too. I really appreciate your comments- makes this time I spend painting that much easier. After texturing all day, it's hard to come home and paint again- but I'm inspired when I see that someone has left a comment. :)

chee-yang
03-29-2005, 12:14 PM
Great colors and I love the texture on the ground!

duddlebug
03-29-2005, 12:47 PM
These are just lovely... great line work and i'd have to disagree with you on the 'gifted painter' comment. You look pretty gifted to me!!

Great colours and composition... and that tree is just wonderful...

R-K
03-29-2005, 12:57 PM
you might want to use brighter blues with tad more saturation, same goes with yellow, if you want to go for more happy mood. Anyway, colors can't be given in exact manner (like: "take yellow and blue - you'll get happiness), you gotta play around don't you?

Just make lot of small sketches where you concentrate on colors, not the actual rendering of stuff. You'll find a nice color scheme easily that way - make daring variations, lots of them.

ardenrey
03-29-2005, 01:04 PM
Great colors and drowing stile! :thumbsup: Good luck! :)

Cerebr4l
03-29-2005, 01:08 PM
Lookin good :thumbsup:

coCoKNIght
03-29-2005, 01:41 PM
Wow, hello and welcome to the cgtalk-challenges! :) I like your drawings very much, it's really cool to see this peace develop. Those vivid colors of your last update fit very well! Good work! :thumbsup:

sidchagan
03-29-2005, 02:51 PM
I like the colorwork and composition you have going here (and yes, it's definitely much more vibrant than the previous color schemes). I'm not too crazy about the monster in the background though, his pose looks odd, and a little static. Perhaps add some more sign of movement.

MattDixon
03-29-2005, 03:23 PM
This looks really good, Mike. I'll be looking forward to watching it develop.

One thing that jumped out to me though, was the very linear temperature change from cool to warm running left to right. I know the pic is still at an early stage, but is this an intentional element of your composition, or are you planning to to mix that up a bit..?

bonestudio
03-29-2005, 05:04 PM
Excellent very nice step by step. I love your theme and the colors you choose. I'm definitely looking further for more :)

I have a question how will you make us understand that the creatures is charmed by the instrument ? At this stage we could think that the little girl is in danger...

feeb
03-29-2005, 05:52 PM
I can't BELIEVE what I just did. I was just wrapping up the last response to the last comment (I replied to each one of you), and I hit backspace, to un-highlight a name I had listed... and the actual browser page went back. Horrified, I was face-to-face with Murphy when I hit Forward again. The entire message was gone!! It took me like 30 minutes to write! LOL... omg. Well, here I go again. Sheesh...

chee-yang: Thanks! That texture will develop into leaves on the ground.

duddlebug: Thank you. Although I really do struggle with color. I have never been a natural at it, so anything I put down is learned by trial and error- constant fudging, etc. Heheh.

Ranath: Awesome idea. I'll try to employ that.

coCoKNIght, Cerebr4l, arden_rey: Thank you

sidchagan: I'll see what I can do to make the pose more comfortable. I will add detail soon, that makes it clear he has inverted arms, kind of like a dog's hind-legs. I don't want much action on him, as this scene is meant to be "serene." I wanted to have the feeling that they are both just "lazing" about in their respective areas, and the creature is just looking over his shoulder at the woman summoning him.

MattDixon: The color scheme was very much on-purpose, but it's complicated enough that it will prove a challenge for me. I wanted each character to have their own environments, even though both environments are shared in one overall environment. The color shift was purposefully seperated, but I will bring them together better, through use of a possible light-shaft, or leaves tumbling off into the creature's area. I imagine him to be in a more cavernous region, with a lot of reflected blues/cools, whereas the girl is very much in the trees, under direct sunlight. The fact that you bring it up makes me nervous, but I'll see if I can't pull it together. Do you think it's too much? Really great to hear from you, Matt. :)

bonestudio: Another excellent observation. I was considering creating a visual connection between the two, by either or both of the following: having a mist or faerie-dust-like element flowing from her instrument to the creature, and/or leaves blowing up from the ground bottom-right, which are carried over into his 'realm'. However, these ideas might be weak- psychologically I think it would work- that it would carry a peaceful message throughout the piece, but I might be off base. I'm definitely up to alternative suggestions! :) Would love to hear your input.

Thanks again, everyone! Man, tons of help. I really see the value in posting on this forum!

walrus
03-29-2005, 06:19 PM
This is looking just beautiful, Mike! The new colors, the line art (oh, that line art! wow!) It's all wonderful.

I can see why you decided to use your initial layout instead of GaeasHerald's, but right now the composition is pretty open on the right while it's nicely enclosed on the left. Just an idea here, but maybe you can use something from GH's mock-up... What if you extended the picture-frame on the right, and add in a very-foreground tree to help frame the shot more? (I got the idea from Polybuilder, who was requesting another beautiful tree.) Anyhow, just an idea. But either way, just gorgeous work, can't wait to see it fleshed out more... Good luck!

- (another) mike

MattDixon
03-29-2005, 07:39 PM
Do you think it's too much?Not at all and, reading your thoughts there, it works exactly as you intended it to. I only mention it because it seemed so obvious - particularly with the vertical vines / roots from the tree already providing some clear seperation between those two areas - but it sounds as if you have things well in hand.

I really like the way this image 'flows' - how the design of the tree is echoed in the creature and the woman sweeps up seamlessly into the trunk. Good stuff.

burnout
03-29-2005, 08:12 PM
looking great as usual feeb, love the mood.

feeb
03-29-2005, 10:46 PM
walrus: I think that might help. I agree that the right side of the piece is a bit open- thanks for the observation. :)

MattDixon: Awesome, man. Thanks for the vote of confidence.

burnout: Thanks a lot!

It's nice looking back on this throughout my work day- and letting ideas soak in. I have a ton of great ideas to go on. Hopefully I'll get a few more hours in on this tonight. I might do some additional concept work for problem areas- or maybe it'll make sense to me tonight. :) I should be so lucky. Heheh.

ChristianHammer
03-29-2005, 11:21 PM
I seem to love all of my images in black and white and then in color they are a struggle... You are going to have trouble with blues and greens no-matter what, as far as that cold/dead feel. I had an art professor tell me "Never paint green" and "Green doesn't sell" So of course I use green in everything... To bring it out and give it some life use a few washes of it's compliment... This will tend to make it more brown, but will warm up greens and blues...

Ichthus
03-29-2005, 11:40 PM
wow, your concepts great, cant wait to see how this turns out.

jerrymascho
03-29-2005, 11:48 PM
hey feeb,

I love the way you sort of wrapped the tree around the cooler section of the color sketch. Can't wait to see how this progresses. :)

TheFirstAngel
04-01-2005, 11:05 PM
very beautifull piece, subscribing and enjoying the show. keep it up, have good luck and loadsa fun! cheers

AlyFell
04-01-2005, 11:21 PM
Mike, I totally empathise with your feelings on colour. It doesn't come naturally to me either, but to be honest you seem a lot more relaxed with it than many others, me included. I think the transition here, from left to right, works and well. Compositionaly everything works, and I like the golden touch on the right... but maybe, (and maybe someone else might have said this) you need a colour balance to it on the left...? And something else I really like; the girls tummy. The lighting is really cosy on it! :)

GaeasHerald
04-01-2005, 11:23 PM
The coloring is coming along nicely. I know that it will go through a lot of fine tunning before getting to the final stage, but already it has a clear definition of two distinct areas, which is good. I'm looking at it from a friends' computer, and the monitor isn't well callibrated, and still, it looks better than any image I've seen in this monitor (including real life photographs). That's a big achievement!

redfrog
04-01-2005, 11:34 PM
Mike May has entered the Master and Servant 2D.

Challenge Page (http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/masterandservant/view_entries.php?challenger=6499)

Latest Update: Coloring WIP: The Beckon
http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/8/6499/6499_1112098001_medium.jpg (http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/8/6499/6499_1112098001_large.jpg)

I decided, while painting tonight, that the colors I had going were totally dead. So what I did was make the colors... not so dead heheh. I'm struggling with coming up with colors that make me happy -especially with the tree. However, I'm happy with the progress. I'm not a gifted painter, so I have to spend a lot of time fudging and repairing and depending on input from peers... which I hope continues to happen with this one!

Really like the composition. I know it's only early stages but a few light rays coming in from the forest canopy above might be cool and even a few fireflies in the mix might be nice. Looking really good...

T-lapia
04-02-2005, 01:12 AM
your strokes are really inspiring. great concept mike:D

feeb
04-02-2005, 07:52 PM
http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/8/6499/6499_1112471537_medium.jpg (http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/8/6499/6499_1112471537_large.jpg)

I feel like I\'m finally finding the colors I want. I owe a lot to a couple of guys at work, who essentially suggested keeping loose and doing color comps. Up until today, I\'ve been so worried about keeping \"inside the lines\" that I wasn\'t painting freely- letting my mind go. Today I opted not to worry about the lines, and the result was nearly easy colors. Many of which just sprung to life on the image.

I\'m also proud to say that I didn\'t utilize any levels/color adjustments on this latest installment. All of the colors here are ones I actually painted. Given my ineptitude at colors, this is a serious landmark for me.

Huge thanks to those posting on my thread- because that\'s where the bulk of suggestions come from that are giving my entry more strength. This community really is awesome.

NOOB!
04-02-2005, 07:54 PM
wow excellent colours,can't believe i only just found this,has a very surreal feel.

great!

feeb
04-02-2005, 08:14 PM
I'm really happy that I feel like I'm getting the tree, foreground, and general color scheme under control. Man, what a relief to feel like I'm finding my stride, rather than scrambling to make sense of everything. I think one of my best decisions on this last step, was setting the creature further in the distance, by "raising" the water level on him. Now I feel like there is ample information-relief in the area of water beneath him, and takes away from the awkwardness many seem to feel resides in his body structure (which was intentionally alien). After I hear he has an odd build a dozen times, I'm bound to throw my hands in the air and say, "screw it." I will, however, continue to experiment with his general anatomy, though our view of it is rather limited.

Thank you, everyone, who posted! These are all fantastic comments!

HammaJamma: Yes, greens are a struggle. I find all colors are too, but I've heard the same reasonsing for why they are tough, so I'm sure it's true. However, some of my favorite artists' paintings employ greens magically. Shades of greens are my favorite colors. I know it's particularly tough working with them, so I'm pushing forward, so I can learn how to deal with them better. I appreciate your input and suggestions! Thank you.

Ichthus: Thank you! Neither can I. lol

jm. Hey bro. :) Thanks for the compliment. I paid special attention to that limb today- attempting to blend it better (so it flows from warm to cool more effectively).

the1st_angel: Thanks for subscribing. :) Gives me more of a reason to keep pushing on this. I'll see if I can deliver more through the weekdays (this past week has been a challenge of getting enough sleep).

Poshspice: Man, great points you bring up. I'll see about balancing it better. I tried to do that today- with some of the colors in the foreground, and lightening/roughly defining the waterfall better. Any other suggestions, or do you think this is the direction that will work? Heheh- glad you like the warm tummy. I'm fond of it too. I'm still considering, however, of putting a dress on her.

GaeasHerald: :D

redfrog: Man, I love both of your ideas. I'll probably employ both of them (though subtly). :D

T-lapia: Thanks!

NOOB! Glad you found the thread and contributed. I look forward to your future input. I'm pumped to hear you say that it feels surreal. It's definitely what I'm going for. :)

OrO
04-02-2005, 08:23 PM
wow...wow...i'm amased with the way you blend the colors...from start to end ...great job:thumbsup:

BaronImpossible
04-02-2005, 08:36 PM
The colour scheme is excellent and the whole right-side of the picture couldn't be better (bearing in mind you haven't finished it). The woman is well done and the tree is really impressive.

The left-side, though... it needs some work. First off, I read your comments about the monster, but I'm afraid that's the way it is. To me it looks like a man in a hamster mask having a bath. The cliff edge is also too vertical and too flat. What I suggest is to cut into that cliff edge and use the resulting space to increase the monster's size and alter its form too. I agree it looks better in the distance but I reckon when the woman sees what she's summoned she'll send it back for a refund. You've got the distance colouration spot on, so it should be relatively easy for you to give the impression of great size. But I'm afraid the form isn't working for me.

Great pic, I'll be interested to see how it goes.

feeb
04-02-2005, 08:52 PM
oro: Thanks, fella.

Baron Impossible: If you read what I wrote about the creature, I think you misunderstood. I'm not done working on him at all- all I did was raise the water level on him -the anatomy, like I said, will be revisited. I admit I don't like your simplification of the creature as a guy wearing a hamster mask, but you make your point. Also, the left portion of the painting is the part I have been putting off, so ya, it needs work. You not liking all of this stuff is another log on the fire, and another reason why I'm definitely going to fix all of that stuff. I'm intrigued by your suggestion to cut into the cliff to give the creature more visual space. I think that's a great idea. I really appreciate you really making valuable suggestions. This is the good stuff. What I need. Thanks a ton. I feel bad that I haven't yet commented on your thread, but I will soon remedy that. :)

GaeasHerald
04-02-2005, 08:55 PM
All those details really contribute to the jungle feel and allows to to shoe off your awesome skills. Raising the water level was a smart decition, cause it makes the creature look further away and the perspective less awkward. There is a small waterfall near the trees roots right? If so, try adding some pebbles and foam to it and it will look great.

SEL
04-02-2005, 08:57 PM
I just saw your thread for the first time and wanted to tell you that you have really great colors, the lighting is coing out wonderfully to the right, great choise of pallete, keep up the great work!

SEL

BaronImpossible
04-02-2005, 09:43 PM
Sorry about the hamster mask, I sometimes get carried away. Glad you found my suggestions helpful, I'll be looking out for a MONster update (there, I got it right then ;) )

Speaky
04-02-2005, 10:59 PM
Hi Feeb, just stumbled on your entry. It's got a real painterly feel to it and I love the colours. I find that the female blends in with the tree slightly, perhaps a bit of judicious shade might help her pop out more. Well, I know it's early days yet and I'm looking forward to seeing you develop this further. Excellent so far! :thumbsup:

feeb
04-03-2005, 05:29 AM
http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/8/6499/6499_1112502590_medium.jpg (http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/8/6499/6499_1112502590_large.jpg)

From the beginning, the tree limb taking a boring path off the left side of the painting, has bothered me. I feel like this is a better solution. Also, I took the advice of Baron Impossible, and knocked the cliff back. As soon as I read his suggestion, I knew I had to do it- and envisioned essentially what I communicated on this update.

I also played a bit with the anatomy of the creature- seeing how it would read as though it were very much related to the tree in the foreground- as though he were perhaps the father of the trees. I\'d love to hear input on this idea, and perhaps suggestions for a better method of presenting it, as I\'m not too excited about what his body looks like now.

feeb
04-03-2005, 05:41 AM
I was really struggling with colors again, so I decided to call it a day (I foolishly took a 3 hour nap- and when I woke, I couldn't paint anymore. I was really on a roll this morning and afternoon).

GaeasHerald: You know, I hadn't planned on that being a waterfall, but I had also noticed that it accidentally resembled one, so I had started doing pretty much what you suggested, meaning we're pretty much on the same page. :) I kept that area dark, however, so as not to direct the viewer's eye off of the painting. Thanks!

SEL: Thank you.

Baron Impossible: Oh man, PUN-NEE! Heheh. Nah, I appreciate the input, wheter it stings or not. I didn't like hearing the hamster methaphor, but like I said, it brought the point home. How do you like the new and improved cliff wall? I think it's tons better- gave me ample opportunity to play with receding cliffs as well. Thanks again, maestro. :D

Speaky: I hadn't really noticed that she was getting so lost against that tree until you brought it up. Man, thanks a ton for that. Because of your comment, I started making subtle changes to the silhouette of the girl, and the tree surface around her head and shoulders. I think a more drastic amount of finesse will have to be employed (man, I'm using the words, "employ" and "ample" alot on this thread lol). Any ideas on how to bring her out more? I'm kind of ready to quit for the night- so maybe I'll have a fresh perspective in the morning. Huge thanks.

lynch
04-03-2005, 05:48 AM
without words it is not possible to connect this with the master and servant theme because it is not clear who is dominant and who is submissive ,no hard feelings but it does not express the theme as it is . But its is a cool concept , i dig anithing involving plant like craetures

feeb
04-03-2005, 06:00 AM
lynch: (apt name) ;) Sorry, but the challenge rules do not state that you can't be ambivalent about which is master and which is slave. More than half of the entries I've looked at are less specific about which is master, which is slave, or even that their relationship is such. I find it odd that you pick mine out of the heap to make your point. The name of the piece is "The Beckon," and the fact that she's tooting a horn should give ample evidence who is doing the beckoning, therefore establishing the role of the master. Additionally, I have not as-yet completed the piece, and haven't introduced elements that have been discussed earlier on this thread, for making the master/servant relationship more evident. Therefore, I completely disagree with your argument, but appreciate the opinion, just the same.Thanks. :)

MattDixon
04-03-2005, 07:12 AM
That's one hell of an update, Mike. Those colours are just great, and the whole pic's balancing up very nicely indeed. Fantastic work.

pushav
04-03-2005, 08:29 AM
very nice and very well done. this painting has a classical feel to it.

liquidwerx
04-03-2005, 08:41 AM
Beautiful work feeb. Love the new, more painterly approach. Good luck to you bro!

M

Speaky
04-03-2005, 11:19 AM
Any ideas on how to bring her out more?

I'd say the most important aspect of her is her upper body, head and the arms holding the horn, that's where 'the beckoning' is coming from. Currently there is a bright tree in the middle distance which is overwhelming her arms and the horn, and I would say this needs to be knocked right back by being only slightly lighter than the shaded areas behind this tree. Well, at least a good-sized area around her arms needs to be really dark so perhaps some large dappled shade could be hitting this whole area strategically. I'd say nothing in the right hand side should be brighter than her upper torso and horn. Even the tree she's leaning on could be darkened a little in comparison, and maybe the shadow side (her head is directly over this) could be a lot darker to help contrast with her head.

Also, watch that bright saturated patch of ground to her lower right, it's a real eye grabber though I see what you are doing here. Perhaps this bright detail could be transferred to around her feet, but balanced out with some bright touches of incidental detail around her head.

Lastly, those vertical vines hanging down might work a lot better if they were darker because I feel they distract from the servant creature in a similar way. If they (and the branch they hang off) were dark then the whole distant area would really light up. The more I think about it, the foreground might work best by being dark with a single, large and soft sunbeam slanting through and picking out the girl.

Feeb, apologies for getting so carried away, I really didn't mean to flood you with advice, it's just that I like your pic so much that I couldn't help it. Amazing stuff! :beer:

BaronImpossible
04-03-2005, 11:20 AM
That's a big improvement, it's added a whole new feeling of space and depth to the piece. One other thing I've just spotted, though: The way the woman is leaning against the tree I'd expect her right (our left) leg to be braced rather than bent at the knee.

emrahelmasli
04-03-2005, 12:01 PM
man! this is looking great already...good luck

GaeasHerald
04-03-2005, 06:21 PM
As you may have noticed in these last posts, people tend to get carried away (me included) when commenting on your work. I reckon it's because it's comming along so nicely that we all wanna contribute in some small way. About the creatures' anatomy: I like the idea, but not the execution as it is. Try keeping the rough anatomy of the previous wip, and adding the tree-like shape as a "texture", meaning that the twigs and branches do not disturb the general outline of the creature. I actually liked the inverted elbows very much!

feeb
04-03-2005, 09:08 PM
Oh, man, KILLER advice, everyone. Those of you who think you were getting "carried away," shouldn't worry a bit about how I'm digesting your input. I love every bit of it, and will employ all of it. Everything suggested between my last update and this post will be what I will do, no exceptions (unless I'm forgetting something). It's not that I'm easy- it's just that all of it makes perfect sense. :)

MattDixon: Awesome. Glad you think so. Thanks again.

pushav: Classic? Oooo -thanks!

Malachi Maloney: Appreciate it bro. Great to see you here.

Speaky: :love:Your post makes me giddy... every bit of it. My next update (later tonight, hopefully) will show the biggest changes in her area, utilizing everything you suggested. Man, I can't thank you enough for all of that insight. I think making the tree darker overall should make it "richer" too, so It's not like I'm sacrificing anything. I can hardly wait to get going on this. :D

Baron Impossible: Man, good point. Ironically, I started with the knee braced, and slowly worked it out to a subtle bend. I think I was too worried about losing the more interesting shape of a bent knee. However, I think it will look fine straightened, and there's still the very good chance it will all be covered up by a dress. Thank you thank you thank you.

Atmospheria: 'preciate it.

GaeasHerald: Yah, I noticed. I love it all... I love that people care enough for this piece to give so much feedback. This is quickly becoming my favorite forum. I came here initially to hopefully be a part of the CG quality, but I think it's the crowd that will make me stay. :) I love your suggestions on the creature, and will hopefully rework him as cool as you describe him. :buttrock:

mybutterflyiris
04-04-2005, 02:52 AM
All I want to say is that I really love your color choices they work beautifully together and this looks like it's coming along. I wish I had a suggestion for your problem...but alas...nothing. So keep up I think this will turn out to be a lovely image. good luck

Gregwid
04-04-2005, 02:54 AM
Really effective work,Love the mood and depth you have going.Keep on like this.:thumbsup:

feeb
04-04-2005, 04:16 AM
http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/8/6499/6499_1112584616_medium.jpg (http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/8/6499/6499_1112584616_large.jpg)

Thanks to the fantastic suggestions by those visiting my thread, I'm making big strides in my updates. This last one I owe most thanks to Speaky and GaeasHerald. I haven't done so much for the suggestions by GaeasHerald, but I'll get around to them this week.

For now, I've darkened the tree overall, along with the background to the right. The tree feels "richer" to me now, as does the entire piece. The foreground and background seem to separate much better now, although they still feel a part of the same scene (to me, at least), which is what is very important to me at this stage.

feeb
04-04-2005, 04:20 AM
Ok, I think a new dilema that comes with the darker tree (awesome suggestion by Speaky), is making it "fit" better in the overall piece. Right now, the tree feels flat against the background- like a cardboard cut-out, which is not a good thing. I think I can fix this by introducing some proper colors in the branches, and perhaps taking out the emphatic darks that are there.

Also, I think the girl is unquestionably more pronounced, thanks again to Speaky. I threw a screen layer on, and experimented with some effects coming from the horn she's playing. I wonder if this is perceived as a good move? I'd love comments on that, and anything, as usual. Thanks again, guys. You rock.

mybutterflyiris and Gregwid, thanks a lot for the uplifting comments. :)

Ant4d
04-04-2005, 07:18 AM
WOW. your colors are so pleasent and beautiful. wow man!

Speaky
04-04-2005, 07:46 AM
Feeb, awesome job of implementing the suggestions! I think the whole picture reads a lot better now, and retains that succulence of colour which made it so great in the first place. As to the tree having a flat feel, I don't get that so much to be honest. What you do have is two colourful areas, one sitting on top of the other. Perhaps now you need to work to integrate some of the background colour into the foreground, but only at a much lower opacity. Those rocks at the bottom left would be wet with mist and the upper planes and far edges would reflect some of the blue light. Likewise, you could carry on defining the vines on the tree branches and trunk in the emphatic dark areas with a pretty low opacity blue light, not so much that it draws the eye, this is more about subtle integration. Lastly, there is that green 'mist' which you have put around the hanging vines, trunk and the figure of the servant. I find it a bit problematic as it blurs the separation between foreground and background physically, without integrating each as I describe above. My advice would be to remove it and keep the background colour variations quite narrow.

Love it, though, easily one of my favourite entries so far!:) Oh and I like the magical effects on the horn by the way!

kornel
04-04-2005, 08:13 AM
Really beautiful forest paint! I love the colors and the organic lines too...

I waiting for a more details!

cheers: KornÚl

creativer
04-04-2005, 08:19 AM
Wow that's looking great love the colours! Keep it up

eclipson
04-04-2005, 09:15 AM
:eek: very colourfull jungle :eek: , ur doin good dude, show more....:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

duddlebug
04-04-2005, 09:34 AM
This is starting to look just beautiful!!

It was good before... but with the changes and development... i love it...

To add to the wonderfully helpful Speaky, i think it'd be worth getting some of the darker and more saturated foreground colours on to the far left of the picture (which you've started on the boulder), particularly in the top left. Nothing to drastic or prominent, but it think nit'd help frame the background. Just a suggestion...?

Lovely lovely work...

AlyFell
04-04-2005, 09:44 AM
It's developing a really lovely 'pastelly' feel at the moment. Classic illustration look... The tummy's lovely but a dress will be cool too, and probably more suggestive of form. The depth in this is fab!

jowens
04-04-2005, 11:41 AM
I like what you have so far! The image has a very nice tone overall, I look forward to seeing this piece evolve. One comment, the lighting in the foreground looks great...very warm, it's a nice contrast to the rest of the scene (I'd suggest trying to keep that contrast til the end!).

Enayla
04-04-2005, 11:42 AM
Hi Mike :] Wonderful to see you here! I didn't know you'd joined. This looks stunning so far - I have no crits.

MDN67
04-04-2005, 11:43 AM
very emotional pic. The color and the lights are very good. Good work:thumbsup:

am7
04-04-2005, 11:56 AM
Hey man! this looks great! :) I think perhaps it would be better with some more shadow (indicating the leaves) on the tree? Oh, also perhaps some more dark silhouette framing objects in the top?

Keep it up! Looking awesome.

taeyoungchoi
04-04-2005, 02:42 PM
Such a lovely style and color!
I like your stuff.
I will keep my eyes on this.

Arc80
04-04-2005, 02:48 PM
what's up,

This is a good piece. I like the mood and the atmosphere. the colours are looking great. Very enchanting and mysterious. Keep it up. I'll keep my eyes on this one too.

Cheers,
Archie
My master & servant entry (http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?t=224331)

nebezial
04-04-2005, 02:56 PM
this is an amazing piece of work, my only suggestion would be to make that background even lighter, mist on the water and stuff, water reflects a lot of light and also gives u a possibility of using those supercool light streaks, to balance things out u could add more intensity to the horn she is blowing in, overall majestic work:thumbsup:

artjunkie
04-04-2005, 03:18 PM
Mike, dude!!! This is really coming together since last I visited... amazing colours. Excellent advice from folks on how to draw the eye into and around the painting, and of course you've executed the suggestions masterfully. Keep goin'... I'll be watching!

Cheers!

walrus
04-04-2005, 05:50 PM
It's looking great so far, Mike! The colors are lovely! I do, however, want to pass on to you a note that my wife made when I showed her this piece (which is in itself a complement, I don't show her every single thread here!) - but anyhow, she looked at the figure and remarked that the woman has a boys' hips. She didn't specify which boy so I'll have to leave that to you to figure out, but I thought it was a valid comment and worth passing on, but I couldn't take credit for it myself.

Oh, hey, and if the creature on the left isn't a man in a hamster mask, will there be a hamster hidden somewhere else in the pic? :-)

Best of luck, and way to go!

-mike

AirbORn
04-04-2005, 05:52 PM
WOW! I love the soft oil like colours to your painting. I lilke the composition too and the concept itself is unique and moody. Keep up the great work!

dzudzu
04-04-2005, 06:29 PM
nice colors; keep working masta :]

Arctis
04-04-2005, 08:50 PM
beautiful colors and lovely scene : I wish you the best for the future.
Bye

feeb
04-05-2005, 12:53 AM
Man! You guys are awesome! I love to check back here everyday, because I'm never dissappointed with the valuable input from everyone. Also, I'm not used to this kind of traffic to my threads- I totally love it, and am already addicted. :D

Ant4d: Thanky!

Speaky: Well, I really appreciate what you'd suggested before- it was fantastic. The least I could do was go nuts on your every suggestion. :) I'll read up closely on your new ones (looks like another good batch). You mention areas I haven't quite gotten to yet, and others that I might completely wipe off of the page, but you'll soon find out which is what. Thanks again, man. I really prize your posts.

kornel: Thank you.

creativer: Thanks, I will. :)

eclipson: Yah, might be too much color. It's not tying in together as well as I'd like. I'll see if I can tackle that, though (and soon). Thanks a ton for your compliments!

duddlebug: Yah, that boulder is proving a problem for me. It might be time for me to expand the canvas, so that I don't have an awkward sliver of cliff face poking out of the left. I see what you mean about keeping up the darker/saturated colors to the left- without something significant there, the rest of the foreground does tend to stand out alone too much. Ok- thanks- that's a big priority for me to solve. Awesome suggestion.

Poshspice: Yah, I'm gonna need to beef up that form (see reply to walrus). Thank you for pointing that out. :) I'm most likely going to go with a dress of some kind. That'll be a later issue, I think.

jowens: Thank you. I'll do my best to preserve that- if it's working, I don't want to break it. ;)

Enayla: Really thrilled that you visited my thread. Thank you for the ego boost!

MDN67: Thankest Thou.

am7: Great points. I'll see about making a better indication of the sun breaking through. I'm going to probably put in some god rays, so dappled shadows are a must... even if soft, they need to be more evident. Thanks again.

taeyoungchoi: Great to have you so interested. Thank you.

Arc80: cut/paste from my last reply to taeyoungchoi. Thanks!

nebezial: Ok, I'll experiment with lighting up the background. Thanks for the input!

artjunkie: Yeah, these guys are priceless with their suggestions. I can't believe how awesome this crowd is. I'll continue to attempt implementing all of these valuable tips. Already the piece is tons better than it would have been without everyone's help. Rock on. Thank you for the praise, too.

walrus: Someone at work made the same observation. I'll definitely work on them hips. I think it's about time I looked up some reference on a girl in that pose- or maybe I'll even be lucky enough to get a girl to pose for me for this pic. Thank your wife for me, and tell her to thank you for me. lol -A hidden hamster? Man, you know me better than most lol. I'll seriously consider it.

AirbORn: Thank you, I'll keep pushing!

dzudzu: "masta" indeed. lol... thanks for the compliment. I'll have more soon.

Arctis: Thanks so much. I wish the best for you too.

polybuilder
04-06-2005, 08:09 PM
This is looking marvellous now that the colors are being added. The foreground and background are seperated nicely now, and its not even finished, yet. Looking forward to seeing what you post next.:thumbsup:

feeb
04-07-2005, 07:50 PM
polybuilder: Thank you! Now to just summon the inspiration to get back to it!

I spent a couple hours gathering reference for this last night (all scenery), but I can't find a simple photo of a girl in this kind of lighting, or even a similar pose. Does anyone have decent reference in their archives I could borrow? If I continue without proper reference, it's going to read less real than I'd like. I have been achingly putting off working on this throughout the week, because I've just had the toughest time with my sleep schedule, combined with the stress coming from my duties at work.

I'm gonna go to a figure drawing class soon, and see if I can get a model to pose for me. Links to googled images, etc. Any help would be great, but no worries if not. I'm sure I'll find something.

My daughter will be visiting me this weekend, so I probably won't even get anything done then- or if I do work on it, it probably won't be much. However, I'll be back on top of things soon. :) I've been really disenchanted with this for a while, due to some negative input, but I'm starting to believe in myself again. :D

jmBoekestein
04-07-2005, 08:15 PM
Hey I just wanted to say that you're making a very beautiful piece her. I'll be keeping an eye on for fun!

What struck me is(and I didn't read all the posts so it might have been said) that the lighting is very dark leaving me sort of wondering over the canvas until I find a grip. The girl is lit quite brightly and sort of stands out. But otherwise I really love it.

ambient-whisper
04-07-2005, 08:56 PM
Been a big fan of your work for some time now. im glad that you joined in on the challenge.
the image is very nice, but theres one thing thats irking me a bit. the lady seems very statue like. i dont know other people but whenever im leaning against a tree i have one of my feet on the tree itself. but thats just something i do. not sure how it would work with the image, but it could vary her pose a little to give her more life?

keep it up :)

Einar
04-07-2005, 09:40 PM
This is one of the most promising entries I've seen so far, both in the idea and execution! The atmosphere is fantastic and the scene works so well. I like how the instrument stands out nicely against the background. The whole thing has a really nice and unique feel to it. Can't wait to see the continuation!

feeb
04-07-2005, 10:33 PM
jmBoekestein: I'm glad you pointed that out. That was bothering me too -having the lighting so dark. I'll try to make more sense of the scene by tying everything together better, and easing up on the darkness. :) Thank you.

ambient-whisper: I think your suggestion for a pose is perfect. I'll do that- raise her knee. If not, I'll at least cover her up with a dress of some sort. Thanks!

Einar: wow, thank you.

ebrowning
04-07-2005, 11:25 PM
I'm no help, just want to compliment you on this- it's a joy to look at and really inspiring. A winner.

espaki
04-08-2005, 07:31 AM
*shaking fist*

Get on it Mikey!

not as if I can talk. Seriously tho, I really like your piece so far and as I mentioned the other day I think you might have lost a little of your depth with your latest color update. Bringing some of the background colors as a backlight on the tree might help unify it again. I also think that the girls anatomy could be a little curvier and more feminine. I will do a paintover this weekend if you don't get to it before I do. I'm really looking forward to seeing where you take this.

-Nate

adel3d
04-08-2005, 08:27 AM
Excellent progress!
good luck!

Maginnis
04-08-2005, 08:43 AM
well mr. popular I'm jumping on this thread late! I hope I'm not repeating someone elses comment here. Not quite prepared for 8 pages of catchin up:) I've been staring at this image for a while and I have a suggestion. Tapering off the long thick vines hanging from the horizontal branch of the tree. Try and shorten the ones furthest on the left, maybe thin them as well. The idea being that you already have that direction of the branch leading into the girl. what you have there is a free directional arrow or as I see it the subconcious indication that from the horn her call to the beast is spreading. the horns magic fog flows into that overhanging branch, and the brightest points of the image are currently at the meeting place of the trunk and top of the girl. so you've got a strong flow there. so I think tilting, shortening or thinning out the large vines on the left would really help guide they eye and establish the relationship of the two color schemes & characters. I guess right now I see two seperate bright spots seperated by rigid vertical lines, so bringing those two spots together would really command the eye of the viewer. sorry if i ramble budd, it's a bit late.

tuck
04-08-2005, 09:14 AM
looking really nice. I'm really liking the creature.:thumbsup:

birdybear
04-09-2005, 07:22 PM
Your colors are very magical. The lighting is really beautiful too. I can't wait to see more. Is the background creature going to be looking in the girls direction a little more obviously or is it going to be in a dreaming "where is that coming from" sort of state? I'm not quite sure of the story (havn't read in too much yet) but it might strenghten the composition if he was looking in her direction, bringing the flow of the piece into more grace...
Goodluck!

OrO
04-09-2005, 07:24 PM
this is fabulous!...really...and the colors...:)

bigtodd
04-10-2005, 02:30 AM
Feeb,

I have not read all of the posts. Why did you go away from the intial sketch of the creatures arms dragging behind the body. There was something about that pose that made me go nuts. I could not tell if the drag of the water was what was causing them to be behind the trunk of the body or if I was that big I could drag my arms any way I pleased.

Either way that is what drew me to the picture that one small detail. I hope you would go back to it.

Great Job!!!

I await all updates with baited breathe.

Todd

camtheman
04-10-2005, 06:59 AM
I love the colors. I feel like this is really working interms of composition and color marmony. Keep up the nice piece. Good luck!

my thread:

http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?t=227140

pogonip
04-10-2005, 07:50 AM
It's gonna be beutiful i'll be fallowing this all the way !

PatternRecognition
04-10-2005, 12:47 PM
Oi this is beauuuutiful! The colors are lovely :) I can't say anything constructive because this is a slightly different style and well.. it probably won't come out right lol. I'll be keeping an eye on this for (color) inspiration!

feeb
04-15-2005, 05:21 PM
http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/8/6499/6499_1113582114_medium.jpg (http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/8/6499/6499_1113582114_large.jpg)

I had to get an update in, even though this is not at a point that I\\\'m satisfied with showing. I\\\'m very much in the early stages of roughing in ideas to aid the waterfalls on the left, and have yet to desaturate the background, redesign the tree a little, etc.

I\\\'m happy with my decision to give her a dress, but it will take some time to flush out the design of it a bit better. However, I think the colors are working well there.

I still very much look forward to input on this update, to see if things I see as problem areas are noticed by others, and perhaps (as is the norm), others will see things I haven\\\'t yet noticed.

I will try to push the creature design this weekend as well. My internet is down at home, so I won\\\'t have an update until Monday (unless I get anxious and come to work just for an update).

fooxoo
04-15-2005, 05:30 PM
This one is getting more beautiful by every new post! Incredible mood! Fairy tale look - good for the eyes! And very optimistic, yet mystical look! Good luck! :D

P.S Neat colours, Love the girl's dress :P

feeb
04-15-2005, 05:39 PM
Man, I don't know what I'm doing wrong, but I have to make the image smaller and smaller each time I save the thing out. I couldn't even upload a 700 wide image this time around. I lowered the jpg encoding quality a whole lot, to bring the file size down less than half, so that it could be uploaded. Blah blah blah.

Also, anyone know what's with the slashes in the post? When I submit my comments along with my image, anywhere I use an apostrophe, I get backslash action. *shrug*

Thanks a ton for everyone's responses! Hopefully I can get through these quick and satisfactorily. *ahem*

ebrowning: Well, I consider a vote of confidence help, indeed. Thank you so much for it.

espaki: Haw -updated, and now you're not around to see it. Bleah (see you on Monday).

adel3d: Thank you.

Maginnis: Awesome. I've been getting a lot of suggestions from friends to revisit those 'branches' too. I'll be sure to redesign that area, and incorporate your suggestions as best I can. Thanks, fella.

tuck: Thank you. Creature will *hopefully* be much better by the end of the weekend.

birdybear: I haven't really thought about it like that. I essentially was thinking of having his expression to be more along the lines of, "where's that coming from?" ... as he's just turning his head after hearing the beckon of her horn. I'll pay close attention to making his expression and line of sight work well. Perhaps you can comment again after my updated attempt?

oro: Thanky.

bigtodd: Yah, I really liked it too, but I got too many negative responses to those arms. The biggest reason they're gone, is that I needed to have him appear further back in the distance, and in order to accomplish that, I had to bring up the water level on him, covering his arms. However, I intend to rework the creature so that he's still interesting to look at, and is definitely alien, even with the limited exposure he has above the surface.

Cameron Gardner: Thanks!

pogonip: Glad to have you following along!

AngryScientist: Awesome. I hope it comes out well. I appreciate you taking the time to beef up my confidence. :)

fooxoo: Thanks! I'm glad to hear it's looking better with each post- as reworking these stages inherently runs the risk of goofing up some of the quality. Whew!

walrus
04-15-2005, 05:50 PM
Mike - It's looking great. That light you've added to the rocks int he foreground is wonderful! In fact, all of the light in this piece is great! I like the new design of the dress. I liked the colors more, however, when she was nude. (Those reds reflecting on the belly were superb!) I think the thing bugging me about the dress is that the purple color doesn't match the rest of the scene at all. Plus, she's shanding in a pool of warm light: If it were a white dress, wouldn't it pick up those warm colors more? Lastly, given your overall goal of making the palette a blend cool-to-warm from left-to-right, giving her a cool dress breaks that... Which is good in that it makes he stick out, but the color just doesn't work for me. Sorry! :-)

Anyhow, don't go into work on a weekend just for us! We can hold out 'til Monday. Have a good weekend and good luck workin' on it!

-mike

p.s. It seems to me that CGTalk adds a random number of slashes around apostrophes. Most of the time this random number is zero, but i occasionally roll up a '1' on my posts. You scored with a '3!' :-)

kornel
04-15-2005, 07:38 PM
Fiery colors! yesss...

best regards: KornÚl

Nemein
04-15-2005, 07:38 PM
I really like the atmosphere and the color theme... you could almost hear the water running.

The problem I see with the picture, though, is that there is little interaction between the summoner (is that what she is?) and the creature in the background. It's just standing there looking at nothing.

Maybe you could make it straining to listen to the music, looking for the source, or something which suggests that it is the music is beckoning it..

Looking forward to more!

calisto-lynn
04-15-2005, 07:48 PM
i love your style of flowing lines.. the tree looks great!:)

Neozoom
04-15-2005, 08:01 PM
LOVE THIS!
can't wxait to see finish...

My fav feeling of the contest... now you must put efforts in realisation :) but it's already looking great:)

feeb
04-18-2005, 05:29 PM
http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/8/6499/6499_1113841762_medium.jpg (http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/8/6499/6499_1113841762_large.jpg)

I'm actually hesitant to upload this. I didn't spend nearly as much time as I'd planned to spend on it, over the weekend. I got no creature design done- I was just uncommonly (even for me) lazy over the weekend.

A workmate suggested desaturating the colors in the background, and I took it to another level. I changed the scene to the right quite a bit too, so it wouldn't be competing with her so much. You'll notice everything looks really rough right now, which is the result of thinking quickly and not carefully. I've been doing my best to approach this piece with the "nothing is sacred" principle in mind. I need to do what I can to establish a solid layout and color scheme, even though that means loosely painting over areas I carefully noodled on before. I think the piece has much more potential now, even if I've gone back several steps in the work process... creating more work for myself as a result.

Notice I completely painted over the hanging branches. I might keep them out. Too many people complained about them for me to have any love for them. I might put some back, in more interesting formations, but right now I like the clean framing the tree gives the creature.

feeb
04-18-2005, 05:41 PM
walrus: I think that slash thing is tied directly into how many unsuccessful attempts you make at submitting your entry. I remember I had to do it 3 times, since the image was too big the first 2 times. As for the girl being nude, I agree- I really hate to see the tummy go, but I also believe that you can't let your favorite part of the painting ruin the potential of the painting as a whole. I think maybe the colors there were more "comfortable," but the piece, I feel, was weaker with her being nude. I thought of perhaps designing a dress for her, where her tummy remained out in the open, but I don't think that's very practical -even for a fantasy piece. I'm also not sold on keeping the piece cool on one side and warm on the other. I think it works nicely overall, but I was constantly struggling to keep everything working together. I think where I'm going with it now might solve that... where the warms are essentially isolated to focus on the girl and tree, or at least seperate them from the focus on the beast. The environment, to me, is coming together much better as a result. Any thoughts?

kornel: Thank you.

Nemein: I will be adding back in the faerie dust-like stuff, which is what will better tie her to the creature. Also, I'm going to have some dappled light hitting the waves and creature- bringing some warm light into that area, bringing the girl and creature together more with colors. Thank you.

calisto: Thanks! The tree is proving a major headache right now lol. But I'm sure it'll all work out soon.

Neozoom: Awesome! Thanks! I can't wait to see it finished, either. ;)

GaeasHerald
04-18-2005, 06:09 PM
Wow! The improvement since the last time I saw this is astonishing. The image looks de-cluttered, the lighting looks even more believable than it already did, and the characters have the right weight in the composition. I truly regret not having been here throught the process :sad:.

arkinet
04-18-2005, 06:13 PM
i thnk i like the hanging vines better, adding an enchanted feel to the whole thing, maybe making its thinner & subtle so as not to attract too much attention, jst my thought... overall, looking great dude!!:thumbsup:

artjunkie
04-18-2005, 06:23 PM
Wow... I really admire the fact that you have the nerve to paint over sections you've already finished. Great self control! :D Looking forward to seeing how you'll proceed. Just make sure you give yourself time to finish... I really want to see this one completed! :applause:

Carry one, bro...

Cheers!

ChrisThatGuy
04-18-2005, 07:58 PM
The contrast between the dress and the tree behind seems a little strong, making it look like it's a cut-out, but otherwise very nice.

Gregwid
04-18-2005, 08:03 PM
Yes partner,real enchating.I like the vines idea best still.Real delicate and fine work.:thumbsup:

Tranchefeux
04-18-2005, 08:05 PM
Hi, your colors are really beautiful. And poetry is very present, congratulation, and gook luck for the continuation. :applause:

JasonChan
04-19-2005, 12:07 AM
Looks really nice! My only crit ast this point is maybe you should unify your pallete a bit more. The right half of the image is super warm while the left half is super cold. Maybe put some more spots of warm sunlight in the background and bring in some of the cool blues into the foreground shadow areas. Of course, you may have just not gotten to that yet :)

ebrowning
04-19-2005, 01:37 AM
I absolutely love this piece! Gorgeous painting! A real pleasure to look at.

stevethomas
04-19-2005, 02:05 AM
looking good. I like the lighting and colours. can't wait for the final.

Nigel-Q
04-19-2005, 02:20 AM
i like where the colours are going, attention is definately being drawn towards the right area now, maybe the colour balancing previously suggested would help bring the viewer over to the creature on the left??? maybe play around with branches or other foreground elements to help frame the composition more as well??? just a thought...

PeterSanitra
04-19-2005, 11:07 AM
what about trying to inprison something into the tree?

PatternRecognition
04-19-2005, 12:17 PM
Oh the less saturated background truely make it pop out! The girl/woman looks better and you can see her at first glance now.

edit: typo :)

BaronImpossible
04-19-2005, 01:10 PM
Looking good. A little dark lower right, and the water is blue in places where I wouldn't expect it to be, especially towards the bottom. The tree and the woman are really nice. I don't know what you have in mind for your ham- I mean, monster :) but I think it needs to be bigger and more integrated with the environment. ATM it's very much out on its own and somewhat 2D. Me, I'd go for thick corkscrew loops and tendrils with a big fishy head and fins. With plenty of relectivity too, so you can get some of the righthand warm colour merging with the left-hand blueness, as mentioned earlier. But then again I'm not painting it! :D

Arc80
04-19-2005, 02:53 PM
That's a huge update since the last time i was here. WOw, that is a really lovely piece. Very calming and mysterious. The colours are great. It works really well with the mood of the piece. I agree with BARON about your creature. It does seem a little bit out of place and flat at the moment. Personally, i would change his gesture a bit. Everything else, i think, looks awesome. Keep it coming. :thumbsup:

cheers

naresh
04-19-2005, 03:34 PM
ohhhhhhh boy very good art..:bounce: .i like the way u visualizeeeeeee.:) ..cool one all the best..:thumbsup:

grobouk
04-20-2005, 09:18 AM
a very nice work, poetic and fantasy

calisto-lynn
04-20-2005, 11:09 AM
this looks great!:thumbsup:

TeemuR
04-20-2005, 12:24 PM
Hey, this looks great! It's definately going to the right direction. Forms reads nicely and warm/cold color balance works very well. :) Can't find anything to crit.

feeb
04-20-2005, 07:12 PM
http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/8/6499/6499_1114020768_medium.jpg (http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/8/6499/6499_1114020768_large.jpg)

I really wish I had saved out versions of the beast design I was goofing with. I spent Sooooo much time getting something I could live with. Where he is now, is something I feel I can work with. I eventually pictured a pretty beast, like Yakkuru, the antelope-like steed Ashitaka rode in Princess Mononoke... proud & beautiful. I also pictured an extravagant dress one would see at a ball- the shoulder tentacles coming off like a cape. At the last minute, I added swirlies to the horn the girl is using, but I'm not sold on it yet. I'd love to hear feedback on that.

I have yet to address areas, like the overbright dress, the rocks to the left, the foreground to the right, etc. I only had a few hours to spend on this last night, so the update is very rough, but the best I could do in the time I had. I'm considering putting some hanging branches back in, but very limited- and only after I'm comfortable with the background.

NOOB!
04-20-2005, 07:15 PM
excellent ,very nice dramatic image,wud make a great full story!

feeb
04-20-2005, 07:36 PM
Good lord, thanks everyone, for the responses! Holy crap, I have over a page this time. :D

GaeasHerald: Thanks, bro. There is still plenty of process to come, so it's not like you missed out on anything. :)

arkinet: I will probably put some vines back in. Thanks for the input, and for the kudos. :)

artjunkie: I'll be sure to finish this. As to painting over areas I've "finished," I really agree with the "nothing is sacred" principle my teacher taught me in college. Had I left some of those areas as-is, the painting as a whole would have suffered tremendously. Thanks!

ChrisThatGuy: I totally agree, and I forgot to address that issue on this update. I'll be sure to make the girl look less like a cut-out by working on the relationship colors of the dress and tree. Thanks a ton for pointing that out.

Gregwid: Thanks to you too. Since so many people want some vines placed back in there, I'll be sure to do so.

Tranchefeux: Thank you.

Evil Gerbil: Yeah, that was something I was looking forward to addressing. I think i got some of it out of the way on this update. Any additional thoughts? Think it's enough? Thanks a lot for pointing that out.

ebrowning: Thank you for taking the time to say that. It really helps to hear it.

stevethomas: cool - I'll keep pushing. Thanks!

Nigel Q: I had thought to put some kind of branches in the top left, so I'm glad you pointed that out. A guy at work suggested the same thing a couple of days ago. What do you think of the direction I'm taking them. Good? Think it could use an alternative treatment? Thanks so much.

Darkone2652: ooo- that's a thought. I don't know if it would work with this serene mood I'm going for, though. However, I really love the idea, and kind of bummed that it might not be a good thing to employ now, for the reason I mentioned. Thanks a ton for the idea, though.

AngryScientist: Heheh... yah, it made me happy when I was painting the alternate background, to see the foreground really come alive. I really value your guys' input. It's making this thing so much stronger than it ever could have been, had I locked myself in a room and attempted it alone. Thanky.

Baron Impossible: lol... why I oughtta... ;) So do you like where the critter is going? I thought of your comment the entire time I was working on him. He might seem a tad overdone right now (meaning too flowery/swirly), but I think it'll all work out. I'll address the reflectivity more in the next update, if I remember. Same goes with the foreground right- I might add some plantlife there, like ferns and such -to lighten it a bit. Thanks again, bro.

Arc80: Awesome, thanks for the vote of confidence, and echoing the suggestion by the Baron.

naresh, grobouk, & calisto: Thanks!

TeemuR: I'm glad you commented on specific things that work for you. Those are areas I've really pushed on, so it's particularly nice to get feedback on them. Thank you.

NOOB! Glad you think so! I've been trying to come up with an idea for a story for this. Maybe someone will be inspired someday, but I won't hold my breath. For now, it's just nice to be working on this. Thank you.

snowkiwi
04-20-2005, 07:38 PM
Really nice balance of color and look overall. The focus/lighting of the piece is very good also. It has a really nice soft look. I admire how you use the browns, greens, reds, and yellows, and lighting tones around the tree.

bigtodd
04-21-2005, 01:19 AM
Mike,

Although I loved the original creature sketch, this one is even better. The correlation to the shape of the horn is outstanding. All of the swirls definitely work!:thumbsup:

Todd

pushav
04-21-2005, 03:32 AM
I like this! If this was a book cover, I would pick it up just for the cover alone
:thumbsup:
:buttrock:
Another :thumbsup:

Samuraikuroi
04-21-2005, 04:43 AM
WOw. very nice. Color and illumination very nice! :thumbsup:

My master & Servant (http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?t=226306)

TheFirstAngel
04-21-2005, 04:55 AM
Seems last time i failed to comment your exceptional beautifull works, cuz i didnt get notifications of you update. I love the way your piece apears, the wonderfull ballanced colorscheme, the silent and peacefull mood, the great level of detail, worked out with such a nice flow and much love.
Keep on rockin mike, love your piece!:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

liquidwerx
04-21-2005, 05:37 AM
Details are coming together nicely. I really like the tree and the rich autumn colors are great too. Keep up the good work.

M

grf
04-21-2005, 06:48 AM
Hey, I really like the design of the tree she's leaning against. And great colors in the foreground! Great sense of atmospheric depth as well. :thumbsup: Keep it up!

jugeras
04-21-2005, 07:27 AM
swirlies are ok. exagerrated for maximum effect is ok but a bit toning down might work just as effective. not sure. it might.

great colors.

beast design. i think less swirlies might make it more majestic. more smooth flowin.

xtra details like a few branches would be great as well.

cheeers maaan.

espaki
04-22-2005, 02:56 AM
Good stuff mikey. I agree with someone earlier here that the swirlies may be a little extreme. It almost seems the swirlies are more of a focal point than the creature itself. Maybe tone them down a bit and enhance the beautiful flowiness of the creature.

-Nate

JasonChan
04-22-2005, 03:24 PM
I'm all for far out designs. However, I think you might have focussed too much on the swirling designs of the creature and even the horn. I think there needs to be a balance of form and of actual function. Right now the beast looks more like a piece of art than an exotic creature. I'm thinking of the Spirit of the Forest, or of Final Fantasy summon spirits. They all have really far out designs, however, they still have functioning muscles and anatomy that make them somewhat believable as creatures. Maybe you can come up with a compromise to bring it to life? Also the horn the woman is carrying seems way to big to hold in the way she is doing. It looks very heavy on the far end.

The lighting is coming together. It definitely is starting to flow better and feels like one solid image. This is going to make it into the top selection, I'm sure :)

ebrowning
04-22-2005, 05:37 PM
Yep- the swirlies are cool, really well done, but to my eye they fight with the tree, both have that same kind of complexity. They also create a tangent or area of uneeded tension where they both end- theres a vertical "no man's land" between them.

Still my favorite piece in the competition.

OrO
04-24-2005, 08:00 AM
the swirls really ad what the image needed...it looks wonderfull!i'm a noob in digital painting...if it isn't to much..what sort of brushes and coloring methods are you using?:thumbsup:

calisto-lynn
04-24-2005, 10:30 AM
SWIRLISES!! i cant help it, but to love it!! excelent!:love:

Slav
04-24-2005, 05:08 PM
this has a wonderful mood... the colors are super

but i cannot ignor the fact that this looks like graphitti... i like it but it looks like something you would find with a bunch of letters around it on the side of the building...

keep up the wicked work mate!

feeb
04-25-2005, 04:29 PM
Guys! Man, I'm so bummed to say that I won't be working on this for a while. I fear I won't have much time to finish it. I hope to get some updates done soon, but my full attention is needed at work. However, this probably means I'll be unable to tear myself away from it- putting more effort into it than ever. We just have a huge E3 deadline at work, and I'm facing insane hours over the next 2 weeks. If I don't have to work this upcoming weekend, I will pour myself into the painting. I just had to relax this weekend- I got nothing done on it, which makes me feel really guilty, but I really needed a stress break- a complete break from all things creative. However, I couldn't resist doing a couple of ink sketches on Sunday.

I'll reply to everyone individually very soon. However, for now, I gotta say how you guys have done it again with your suggestions. The overwhelming response seems to be that the overall composition is strengthening, but the swirlies are overstated. That's awesome- I'll be sure to address that first thing. I love the individual suggestions for alternatives, etc.

Alright, I really have to get back to work. Thank you, everyone, for your input. I feel bad, because I've been pretty terrible about commenting on your threads- though I've been checking up on them. I'll try to be better at that. Saying my brain has been unfocused of late, is an understatement. Hopefully that will change soon. :) Thanks again, all!

Stygian
04-26-2005, 06:37 AM
Hey Mikey Its Dan from 2015. Man I'm really liking your entry. The swampbeast is great and I really love the colors and the mood.

Later

Tariq12
04-26-2005, 08:08 AM
This is looking very nice man. Love the mood and colour and the revamp on the creature is great.
Keep up the good work.
Cheers,
T.

ThierryS
04-26-2005, 09:40 AM
Hi man, beautiful artwork and theme. The creature is really original and the colors you chose are setting a very special mood.

Excellent stuff!:thumbsup: Will be checking on your thread often...

mime1
04-26-2005, 09:56 AM
I like the creature design in the background. Reminds me "Course of Monkey Islad" -love it..

MKStudios
04-26-2005, 10:15 AM
Wow! I have really enjoyed watching the colors develop on this. The mood and the lighting are exquisite. The areas of the foreground on the far right have lots of wonderful colros and suggest a texture of fallen leaves and undergrowth without being distracting. Maybe you could carry a little of the background colors into the rocks on the left by adding a spongy, mossy growth to them.

Also - I dig all the swirlies, very stylific! :thumbsup:

cLos71
04-27-2005, 01:56 AM
Enjoying the swirlies very much and loving the color. Keep it up!

Art Renderman
05-04-2005, 03:34 PM
I love the colours. It's reminiscent of a Rembrandt or even more of the brothers Hildebrandt maybe.

stevethomas
05-05-2005, 02:16 AM
I kinda like the creature without all the swirls. It's almost too much with all the texture on the tree as well (which I like a lot). But, you have separated the foreground and background very well with some amazing colours.

walrus
05-05-2005, 02:27 AM
Ah, the E3 crunch. I know that tune ( but thankfully, for the sake of my entry, not this year!) But anyhow, it is looking great, hope you manage to find time to work on it, and rest, and have a life, and get your work for E3 done too! Good luck with everything!

-mike

NOOB!
05-05-2005, 07:35 PM
this is one of my fave images,cos it seems quite an orignal concept!!! the scene looks so great,like a movie shot,inspiring!!

W-I-L
05-05-2005, 07:37 PM
man this is soo cool.. looking much better from wheni saw it ages ago. beats is looking excellent, although it may be a bit too subtle fading into the background, but then again that aspect is [pretty col within the pic.

so ignore me and keep it up!

O.Martin
05-07-2005, 12:24 PM
Absolutley love the style! Very good! :thumbsup:

demonicoz
05-07-2005, 06:06 PM
I love this, its really beautiful. Love your style of line work, and really admire the way you apply the paint, but the best thing has to be your use of colours. Your art is like a breath of fresh air mate, nice contrast from the rest of us guys who are full of doom and gloom (heh heh). Keep going!

Check out mine and let me know what you think :
http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?t=234420

All feedback very appreciated!!

NinjaA55N
05-07-2005, 09:33 PM
Love ur style of painting! looks very much like a fairytale to me, whish a great plus :) keep up the great work!

TheFirstAngel
05-07-2005, 09:35 PM
Lovem swirlies. I really dig your piece, loved it from the moment i found it and it gets better and better! keep on rocking!:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Christine3d
05-07-2005, 09:52 PM
Impressive colors and light. And the tree is cool.

ebrowning
05-10-2005, 01:45 AM
Only have a sec- maybe this has been beat into the ground- but to my eye the guy in the water is not reading as a character but rather an interesting tree or landform, and since he's cool in color, he also drops off the radar as having any relationship with the girl. Just my .02.

I still love this piece the mostest.

Enayla
05-10-2005, 02:29 AM
Gasp!

No, sorry, no useful advice from me. Just a big gawk - this is seriously stunning. Wonderful colour use, beautiful shapes -- and YAY! Swirlies!

I love how you design things. Fairytale-like and ethereal. Best of luck with the finishing touches :D

Gord-MacDonald
05-10-2005, 02:37 AM
Absolutely Beautiful! I think its one of my favorites :thumbsup:
Good work

Gord

ms@zx
05-10-2005, 02:42 AM
the colors are wonderful,very vividly done!:thumbsup:the vibrant colors in the forground really stands out and creates a greats sense of depth.just love it and keep it going~!:)

werezoo
05-10-2005, 03:36 AM
Jumping on the bandwaon...love this piece, great color, great style. Very whimsical, awsome!

artjunkie
05-10-2005, 11:22 PM
What a lovely feeling of light and depth... you have such an awesome style, very painterly. And I love the swirly motif you incorporated in the horn... echo's the creature's form nicely.

Please continue! Only a few days left... yeeesh! *runs away to paint*

Cheers!

MKStudios
05-11-2005, 04:41 AM
It looks just fantastic! :thumbsup:

Of course, I also loved the Grippli from Dragon (http://www.mikespencil.com/viewimage.php?search_term=&category=illustration&page_number=1&results_per_page=12&image_num=10) also, so what do I know? :D

agios
05-11-2005, 10:50 AM
i like the scene generally, nice background, i think the creature needs your attention and something is wrong with the figure maybe its too highlighted...wish you good luck

Belhaven
05-13-2005, 06:54 AM
wow, really interesting lines in your sketch. i wish there was some way to retain that in your colored finish, but it seems too difficult... your sketch is really nice and i cant help looking at your lines... i must say though, you colored version doesnt have the same finesse as your line art. maybe you can incorporate your mentailty when you draw lines to when you lay down areas of color. hope to see this one finished.

NinjaA55N
05-15-2005, 02:13 PM
I love ur style! It really does look fantastic!

Samanthie
05-15-2005, 04:08 PM
Beautiful image! Love the colors you chose. My only suggestion is to define the creature a bit more. Lovely work.

maurodelia
05-15-2005, 04:19 PM
very good job !
i like the overall mood of the artwork !

I like the "moster" also

Farfadet
05-15-2005, 04:22 PM
it's a good idea your lightning' search method! I like your compo.

camtheman
05-15-2005, 06:34 PM
Hey Mike, I love the colors and the fairytale like feeling of this. The only thing that I might suggest is working with the texture of the tree, it seems a little flat. Maybe try turning the form with the designs a little more. All-round stunning work, one of my favs. Good luck!

My M&S:

http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?t=227140&highlight=Cameron+Gardner

feeb
05-16-2005, 09:11 PM
http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/8/6499/6499_1116274261_medium.jpg (http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/8/6499/6499_1116274261_large.jpg)

We just finished our big push for E3. Man, what a tough deadline- to meet both of these at once. Anyway, I had a little time to update this. I still have a while to go on it. I'll be submitting it as a final long before I will be done with it for myself. Notice I roughly laid in some foliage. It's on a seperate layer, so I can mess with colors, value... right now they're mostly to give me an idea of where it's going.

NOOB!
05-16-2005, 09:45 PM
lovely imagery!! can't wait for da finished one.

Arctis
05-16-2005, 10:04 PM
Lovely scene, and beautiful lighting
You got my vote.

feeb
05-16-2005, 10:29 PM
HOLY CRAP I've been gone too long! Thanks for all of the input, everyone! Like I said in my update, I wish I had more time to work on this. However, I have to put my job before anything else. Now that my deadline is out of the way, I hope I have enough energy for the next couple of nights to rock this out enough to at least be at a level I can be happy with submitting it. I know for a fact that I won't be finished with it for myself for a while yet, but that's OK too. My biggest regret is that I haven't been able to leave comments on all of your threads. If I can get more done than I anticipate, I'll see if I can squeeze time to do so... I feel really guilty for not giving back nearly as much as you guys have helped.

snowkini Really, coloring is my biggest problem, so it's fantastic to get compliments like yours about color usage. Thank you.

bigtodd Glad you approve of the swirlies. Seems like the pros outweigh the cons for that. I'm definitely going to go in and spruce them up- that's my next thing. Thanks!

pushav Man, I've been bragging to friends about your comment. That really made my day!

Samuraikuroi Another color comment. :) Thanks a ton.

the1st_angel Thank you, I will.

Malachi Maloney Awesome awesome awesome. Thank you for commenting. I need to take a course from you in detailing. I get to this point, and it's a bit of a pain to follow through.

R Frederickson Thank you. Keeping it up, although at a very slow pace.

jugeras Ya, I think I'll tone down the swirls a bit. Thanks. Details on the branches are still in progress- nearly there.

espaki Thanks Nate. Flowiness. Check.

Evil Gerbil Cool. Looks like tons of rework comments on the swirlies... and I'll see what I can do about the horn. Danke.

ebrowning Thanks, Eric. w00t!

oro Thanks alot man. I used a modified dirty marker brush in Painter to sketch with, then did everything else with (in the order of how much I've used them) 1. modified smeary round. 2. oil pastel 3. Scratchboard tool (using this now, to lay in the leaves). Thank you for the kudos!

calisto Thanks!

Slav lol... I can see what you mean with it looking like graphitti. Good point. I'll hopefully deliniate that.

Stygian Great to hear from you, Dan. Thanks for commenting, bro.

Tariq12 Glad you likey. Thank you.

thierry2005 Glad to have you visiting the thread. Thanks for the comment!

mime_evermotion I'm not familiar with that one, but I'll have to check it out. Glad you dig it!

MKStudios Added some spongy mossy growth, as you suggested! I really think it helps a lot. Think it's enough? Anything that doesn't quite work with it? Thanks!

cLos71 Thanks, I'm doin what I can. :)

Art Renderman Well, there's a first- for both of those comparisons. Both of them are really flattering, especially the Rembrandt one. However, I know this is far from that kind of quality. Thanks for the pleasant fiction.

stevethomas Thanks and thanks. I'll definitely see to those swirlies.

walrus Yup. E3 is happening. Man, I finally made it, though. What a monstrous push! Glad to hear you've had a more relaxed time this year. I don't think I've ever had a life-sucking ramp up to E3 in the entire time I've been doing games. Thanks for the well wishing. I just wish I had more time to go on this. Ah, well... I'll keep going on this for myself. :)

NOOB! Huge thanks!

W!L No way will I ignore you, or anyone with a wortwhile comment. Everything counts. Thanks for reiterating the stuff I need to focus on.

O.Martin Thank you.

demonicoz wow, thanks a ton.

NinjaASSN Awesome... I was going for a fairy-tale look.

the1st_angel I'll keep going! Thanks!

Christine3d Thank you.

ebrowning I think that will be one of the last things I'll throw into the painting- and hope it works... tying the creature and girl together better. I'm planning on doing it mostly with effects coming from her horn. We'll see if it works. I'll also definitely see to making the creature appear more like a creature and less like foliage or whatever. Thanks again.

Enayla w00t! Another visit from you! Really means a lot to me that you see so much in my paintings. I just wish I had more time! :)

gordonm Thanks!

ms@zx Thank you, I will.

werezoo Nice to have you on the bandwagon. ;) Thanks.

artjunkie I'm trying to rush in as much as I can! I hope that's enough! Thanks for the comment.

MKStudios That link you gave to the grippili doesn't work for me. I know which one you're talking about, though. (The reason it doesn't work, is because you gave a link to the page instead of the image itself. The php code depends on your level of access to the site). Funny- I don't really like that grippili piece. lol... but thanks just the same!

agios I was worried that the figure was a bit too overlit. I'll try to tone that down. Also, I'll be bringing out the creature more.

NinjaASSN Thanks again.

Samanthie Will do. Thank you!

maurodelia Cool! 'preciated!

Farfadet Thank you.

Cameron Gardner Glad you said that about the tree texture. It was the primary focus of my short time with the painting this weekend. You nailed it with your suggestion of what to do, also- it's all about the edge treatment. :) I'm still going, but I hope it's in the direction you were thinking! Thanks!

NOOB! Should be coming shortly! Thanks!

Arctis You rock for saying that. Thank you.

arkinet
05-16-2005, 10:33 PM
sweet!... thats one amazing pic dude, i like it that u put back the creature in the BG, cool... & pls hurry up!!:) :bounce: :bounce:

Samanthie
05-17-2005, 04:41 PM
Just wanted to drop back by and have another look. I love the updates you've made to this image and the creature looks wonderful.

Jezzarts
05-17-2005, 04:45 PM
Wow, fantastic style... man that tree is cool! Nice image :bounce:

xric7
05-17-2005, 04:48 PM
wow..
this's fantastic!!
very beautiful image.
i do love ur color andcomp.
keep going.
cheers.:bounce: :thumbsup: :buttrock:

polybuilder
05-17-2005, 11:07 PM
Great work feeb. I love this peice, lovely colors. I think the background needs a little more work, may be if it was not as clean as the forground, a bit grainier more like and a tad more detail. Great image though:)

feeb
05-18-2005, 07:17 PM
http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/8/6499/6499_1116440255_medium.jpg (http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/8/6499/6499_1116440255_large.jpg)

Final entry! Thank you so much, everyone, for your suggestions! I will continue working on this for personal gratification, but here is my final entry... I hope you like!

NOOB!
05-18-2005, 07:20 PM
LUV IT!! one of my fave entries

i think...i think...i'm in luv with it...no...i think...i luv U feeb!! COME HERE!!! hahhaa lol

excellent final!!! i'll look out for more of ur stuff in time.

PixelRod
05-18-2005, 08:21 PM
Good Job Mike...Good Luck :buttrock:

Guess Who.

r3mix
05-18-2005, 08:56 PM
Niiiiice!!! You have mad skills Mike! :D

slobbertooth
05-18-2005, 09:26 PM
Not bad... I could have done better.

Great job bro man!!!

ChrisThatGuy
05-18-2005, 09:29 PM
Looks good. Nice colour pallet. Good luck.

MDN67
05-18-2005, 09:56 PM
this is a really nice pic, very romantic and emotional; good work and good luck for the end

calisto-lynn
05-18-2005, 10:06 PM
i havent been here for awhile but i see it now and it looks awsome. very enchanting!

good luck on the voting!!:)

paperclip
05-18-2005, 10:10 PM
This turned out really, really well. I love your colors. They ended up in a wonderfully high key with plenty of good contrast. My favorite part is the tree, very intriguing knots going on there. The rendering on the creature in the background also turned out very well. Give yourself a pat on the back, man. :D

Congrats on finishing! :applause:

Squibbit
05-18-2005, 10:25 PM
nice fantasy pic, weird tree

GaeasHerald
05-19-2005, 02:23 AM
WOW! I've watched this piece from the very beginning and man, you should be very proud :). I specially love the tree, but as a whole the image looks smashing. Good luck!

pejot
05-19-2005, 10:59 AM
This is really fantastic!
The idea, "design" of the tree and the monster, composition and color tones are great.
good luck!

tuck
05-19-2005, 11:07 AM
:) :thumbsup:
congratulation on ur final image.
very beautiful piece.one of the best here.
best luck in contest.
cheers.

ebrowning
05-19-2005, 05:03 PM
Congratulations on an awesome piece, really beautiful work! I hope you win- good luck to you!

xric7
05-19-2005, 07:24 PM
wow...wonderful image!!congratulation on finish and good luck to u.:applause: :thumbsup: :bounce: :buttrock:
cheers.

TheFirstAngel
05-21-2005, 06:23 PM
always loved your piece. Just came to congratulate you on your fantastic final piece and wish you best of luck on the finals. u rock!!!:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

blakbird
05-25-2005, 07:20 AM
Colors are amazing. Interesting work.

NOOB!
06-28-2005, 10:05 AM
Hey Feeb YAAY u got a mention! congrats,on ur road to stardom.

feeb
06-29-2005, 03:05 AM
Thanks a lot NOOB! :) You rock for actually coming back here to congratulate me. Thanks again to everyone who commented here- and for those who didn't, but supplied me with plenty of inspiration in your respective threads. This was a really fun activity. Kudos all.

Arctis
06-29-2005, 10:44 PM
Congrats from me too, for this beautiful and poetical piece of art.
Good luck !

CGTalk Moderation
06-29-2005, 10:44 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.