PDA

View Full Version : Glow Effect in Photoshop CS

Gadzooks
03-24-2005, 02:05 PM
I would like to reproduce the FX brush that painter has in photoshop. I really like the way ryan church uses this brush for his lighting (www.ryanchurch.com (http://www.ryanchurch.com)). im Useing the dodge tool for this effect. The problem im having is that no matter what color i choose its always white. I do a lot of architectural renderings and would like to embelish my renderings with some nice lighting effects in photoshop. What am i doing wrong.

circumlocutious
03-24-2005, 02:24 PM
I don't know about the fx brush, but the dodge tool doesn't work off of what color you select. It lightens the value of the color that you are using the tool on. You might want to use a brush set to Screen or Color Dodge mode....hope this helps.

Her0d
03-25-2005, 12:05 PM
One of the other ways: add a new layer, fill it with black, set the mode to 'screen' or 'lighten', or other mode with the 'light' in the name... and draw over it with some bright (it doesnt need to be white) brush... Its much more controllable (opacity, different filters, blurring, masking) than the direct painting over the image with dodge tool (another thing - color dodging always oversaturate colors in a very unnatural looking way).

Gadzooks
03-25-2005, 02:04 PM
Thanks Guys! Will try that. Kenny

Ixari
04-02-2005, 12:17 AM
Sorry for dragging this back up but..

What i do is i make a new layer set to Linear Dodge, pick a colour and set my brush to a low opacity (about 15%) and it works very much like a glow brush.

CGTalk Moderation
04-02-2005, 12:17 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.