PDA

View Full Version : XSI bump map probs... any ideas??

Mr. Cadillac
09-25-2002, 08:33 AM
I posted this pic in the challenges too, but thought I'd ask around in Softimageland... Any XSI wizards have any ideas of why it's doing this?

I get the same results whether the bumpmap info is coming from the texture map or a separate bumpmap. I tried it through a bumpmap generator and by plugging the image into the bumpmap node directly (color to vector i think).

It doesn't matter whether it is subdivided or not.

this scene has one 1568 face poly, one light, one texture map.

I also can't use a blinn shader, as it will crash XSI during rendering.

Like many many MANY times before, I have come up with a problem that just should not be there. This program is making me push the boundaries of my creativity, but I'd rather be pushing it towards actually making something instead of spending hours finding workarounds.

Help!

Gatsu
09-25-2002, 10:45 AM
Try to convert your txt projection from explicit to implicit ...sometimes works

EdHarriss
09-25-2002, 11:46 AM
If that does not work, send your file to support. They are very good/fast at fixing problems.

Mr. Cadillac
09-25-2002, 09:50 PM
Argh! the box to change from explicit to implicit is grayed out... I froze my texture projection and don't seem to have the option to change anymore. Unless I'm mistaken, the only way around this would be to create a new texture projection. However, I REALLY don't want to spend another 16 hour day unwrapping this guy. Is there a way to transfer the UV unwrap info from one texture projection to another? I remember (vaguely) watching one of my classmates trying to accomplish something similar during my last semester at VFS and can't remember if he was successful. Anyone know a way to do this?

Also, any clues on why I can't use a blinn shader without crashing during render?

Mr. Cadillac
09-26-2002, 03:17 AM
I figured out how to cut and paste in the texture editor... Wheee!

I didn't solve my problem by changing texture projections, but I figured out the bump problem too... I played with the stepping and it screwed it up bigtime. Apparently it will remember stepping even if it isn't drawing info from the same image! News to me.

I am my own worst enemy when I work in 3D!

Thanks for responding guys.

Oh well, only lost a day or so of my life figuring that out... ARGH!

Jago
09-27-2002, 03:02 AM
soo...how did you fix the bumpmap problem?

i'm wondering cuz i'm having the same problem. There is a fix that you can get probably from highend3d.com that works, and i also heard that XSI 3 doesn't have this problem.
thanks.

Mr. Cadillac
09-27-2002, 04:33 AM
I had played with the sliders on bump mapping step (under the advanced tab)... I put them all back down to zero and it was fine... I used to used the step back in the 1.53 days and it worked fine then...kind of allowed you to ramp how sharp your bump map appeared... I'm leaving it alone for now.

I don't know if this helps or not...

I couldn't find what you were talking about at highend... could you post the addy?

CGTalk Moderation
01-13-2006, 05:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.