PDA

View Full Version : Master and Servant 2D Entry: Gerardo Lin

GaeasHerald
03-24-2005, 12:02 AM
Gerardo Lin has entered the Master and Servant 2D.

Challenge Page (http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/masterandservant/view_entries.php?challenger=6324)

Latest Update: Line Art: Mother and Son
http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/8/6324/6324_1112558392_medium.jpg (http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/8/6324/6324_1112558392_large.jpg)

The lineart at last! Don't pay attention to the grid lines on the wall and the dress, cause they are there simply as guidelines for the patterns (fabrics and wallpaper). Not much else to say here. I'm open to any suggestions. Cya!

GaeasHerald
03-24-2005, 12:16 AM
Hi everybody, no scketch yet, but here's my concept. I don't want to lose generality so the "narration" may be a little awkward.

Tipical begining: Boy meets girl.
Boy falls in love with girl. Mama finds out. Mama doesn't like. Mama tells boy to kill girl. Castrated boy obeys.
Actually, it should begin like: Mama makes sacrifices for boy and becomes a manipulative bitch. Mama cripples boy emotionally throughout his childhood and gains complete control over him...

I want to create a shakespearean scene, baroque both visually and in content. Still have to decide the context and the approach, so that's why there's no scketch.
Hope you guys like it.

Pierrick
03-24-2005, 07:13 AM
Good luck !! :thumbsup:

daadaa
03-26-2005, 02:48 AM
hey dude!! nice seeing u here and gud luck! :D

teknotek83
03-26-2005, 02:54 AM
Good luck on the challenge, man!

GaeasHerald
03-26-2005, 09:15 PM
http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/8/6324/6324_1111875345_medium.jpg (http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/8/6324/6324_1111875345_large.jpg)

Here's my first skecth. This is the "master" in my piece. She hates men, having had an abusive realtionship where she was constantly beaten. She was left with a male child from that relationship, and has devoted her entire life to cripple him emotionally; through guilt and her cunning habilities.
Now, he's fallen in love, threatening all her "work". But she's skillful. She'll brainwash him to kill his lover, thus breaking his spirit forever, and becoming his complete master.
Comments and crits welcomed!

Ad lucem
03-26-2005, 09:44 PM
Good concept and really nice sketch! I like the face and the eyes. They give you just the idea of the character you wanted.
Great to see you in the contest!
Good luck!

Lovliebutterfly
03-27-2005, 12:29 AM
Hi there! Good to see you back! Good luck! :bounce:

KevinJM
03-27-2005, 02:19 AM
Hey brother:bounce: ,Glad to see you back here. I wish you the very best luck for this new challenge. You will always amaze me with your great originality.:wise:

GaeasHerald
03-27-2005, 02:50 AM
Thanks everybody for dropping by and giving me your comments and support. I'm not at all happy with my scketch, but as everybody is working so fast, I felt I had to post something. Still need a lot of reference material to get the look right, specially her face :argh:. I'll also add some sort of "hat", cause her hair that way is really annoying me.

Miyagu
03-27-2005, 10:08 AM
hi GaeasHerald,

i like your story! sounds dramatic... :thumbsup:
just a thought: what about making her hat/hair bigger - to make her look more dominant?

the big baroque costume is nice!

good luck for the contest!

GaeasHerald
03-27-2005, 04:46 PM
Hi guys, I'm trying to firgure out the composition, but I can't decide how to arrange the characters. Here are my initial ideas:

a) (From background to foreground) The mother sitting to the right with an expresion of disaproval (despite everything), then closer to the viewer, the guy on his knees, holding his dead lover and his tears mixing with her blood.
b) (From background to foreground) mother sitting to the right again, with a nasty grin on her face, by her side her son kneeling (maybe on all fours) and being patted on the head by the old bitch; he has blood on his finger. On the "uber-foreground" and slightly out of focus, his dead lover with the words "love you" written in blood on her chest.
c) (From background to foreground) To the left the guy standing up, holding the corpse, with his head facing down, casting shadows over the dagger and puddle of blood. Closer, the wrinkeld woman, barely lit, with a satisfied expresion.

Apart from this, there are some things I will include in the picture (whichever version i keep). First, the woman will be holding a silver chain, which will be an exact copy of the chain that his son will be wearing round his neck (pathetic attempt on my part to bring some symbolism into the picture :blush: ). The coat of arms of the family will be embroidered in both mother and sons clothes (to show the relationship between them). Finally the knife will have the word "mum" engraved on the blade; that's me using the "artistic license" a bit too much.

Please tell me which one you like, where you think I've gone too far, and what could be added/deleted. Thanks.

GaeasHerald
03-28-2005, 02:11 AM
http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/8/6324/6324_1111979491_medium.jpg (http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/8/6324/6324_1111979491_large.jpg)

Hairstyle 1.0
She kinda looks like and odd mixture of the grinch with a sea turtle, but I hope that when colored she'll look better. Trying to capture the nasty smile, but her wrinkles make it more difficult to get it right. Plus I'm not very skilled at drawing people. Good opportunity to learn then :)

cuppacam
03-28-2005, 03:54 AM
Can't wait to see the colour. Good luck.

daadaa
03-28-2005, 03:52 PM
looking good... will be w8ing to see the colours arise! :D

Smartypants
03-28-2005, 04:17 PM
Very dramatic concept. The drawing of the face looks good; keep up the good work. Your story is kind of elaborate to convey in one frame. Maybe you could show the mother sitting on her big chair, with her son chained to it. To the side is the son's lover, calling to him. He reaches out to her, but because he is chained to his mother, he cannot reach her.

Just a suggestion. Rock on!

montclaris
03-30-2005, 04:23 PM
Hi Gerardo.
It's a good beginning truely. And you've chosen the difficult path. I like how her expression "looks" kind but there is a mean part in her gaze. It will be diificult to keep the balance between the good mother appearance and the mean intentions, i think. But a good challenge for your amazing painting skills.
Don't worry about others working fast. IIRC, you were very late, last challenge but it didn't prevent you from creating a great final art.
Wish you good luck ! :bounce:

Take care,
Remi.

GaeasHerald
03-31-2005, 11:41 PM
This week only confirms that I am cursed... The wind knocked out my internet servers antenna, so I haven't been able to post anything since tuesday. Plus nothings seems to go as planned in my classes. On the bright side, with all the accumulated stress, I've decided how to pull this off, and managed to draw the scene (part of my obssesive complulsive approach to life, hahaha). The scketches will be posted tomorrow.

Daadaa and cuppacam: Thanks for dropping by, colours will come eventually, I still haven't got a clear idea of the color scheme, and that worries me, cause I generally have that planned even before the scketches :argh:.

Montclaris: My mentor, you're back! You are absolutelly right about the expresion on her face, it's gonna be tough. By the way, I'd like your opinion on this: Maximus, Dark Angel. (http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?t=222502)
I value your insight immensely.

Miyagu
04-01-2005, 12:19 AM
keep posting! and good luck :thumbsup:

OrO
04-01-2005, 04:27 AM
great idea,and even better sketchwork...waiting for more:)

GaeasHerald
04-02-2005, 07:41 PM
http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/8/6324/6324_1112474497_medium.jpg (http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/8/6324/6324_1112474497_large.jpg)

Hi everybody, I got myself the right kint of pencil, right kind of paper and drew my first attempt of a composition. There are still a couple of main elements missing, but I'm trying to research as much as possible before making them, cause that will yield far better results. I decided not to go for a sad and dramatic scene, instead it will be dark and perverse. The afflicted son thing wasn't working for me, so he'll be obssesed and psicotic (the rest is unchanged).
Things that are missing:
a) in the mirror there will be a reflection of a blood covered wall and the stabbed corpse of the maiden.
b) at the top left corner, closer to the viewer, there will be a hand holding a knife, and he'll have the words "Mommy loves me" cut into his flesh by his own knife.

I think this way it's more shocking and with a slight sense of black hummor.
Please tell me what you think of it :)

NOOB!
04-02-2005, 07:49 PM
i think it will turn out great,nice sketch!

GaeasHerald
04-03-2005, 07:59 PM
http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/8/6324/6324_1112558392_medium.jpg (http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/8/6324/6324_1112558392_large.jpg)

The lineart at last! Don't pay attention to the grid lines on the wall and the dress, cause they are there simply as guidelines for the patterns (fabrics and wallpaper). Not much else to say here. I'm open to any suggestions. Cya!

OrO
04-03-2005, 08:12 PM
it's starting to look great:)

Lovliebutterfly
04-04-2005, 01:11 AM
This is starting to look great! I like the ideas very much, very original. If i may suggest, you could add some intricate designs on the mum's dress, lace or something on the skirt fabric. Maybe not at this stage. I can't wait for the coloring! :thumbsup: Sorry for not posting all this time, i'll be more regular in posting now!

montclaris
04-04-2005, 10:57 PM
Scary. This women must be a monster. I like the contrast between the quiet pose of the mother and the violence of the scene and her son's feelings. You did a great work on the furnitures and paid attention to detail. I espescially love her hands position. Looks like Mona Lisa. Finally her grand secret is revealed !
About the composition, i think there is something wrong. Not a big stuff. You have all the elements in your scene, but still something is missing. Maybe try open just slightly the perspective lines because it's a bit flat ATM. Good use of the mirror, but i'd like to see just a little more of the lover-murderer than a part of his arm. I don't think it would lower much visual weight of the knife if you would crop him out a little less. Last thing, you depicted the mother as an important character who is litterally devouring her son's life and mental space, but she is a little small on your picture. Maybe taking her closer and using a slightly lower point of view (from bellow) would help increase this feeling. Just a few thoughts.
Great progress. Keep up :thumbsup:

Edit : i just realized that with the mirror image, the mother happens to be between her son and his slain lover. It's brilliant, Gerardo !

GaeasHerald
04-05-2005, 01:33 AM
Noob and Dunkelgold: Thanks for the comments guys :)
Oro: Your constant support is a source for motivation for me, thanks a lot man! :)
Lovelybutterfly: The intricate patterns are meant to get there eventually, that's what the grid lines are for. We are on the same page.
Montclaris: You ask a lot of me, and I appreciate that you think so highly of me. That suggestion of a new perspective is fascinating, but I'm not really sure how to do it, and keep the mirror at the same time. I'll have to get back to drawing right away. I do wanna keep the son as just a hand, cause it felt too "conventional" to have both master and servant in the scene. I love it that you noticed her being in between. I can't keep secrets from you:bowdown:.

korayarts
04-07-2005, 01:10 AM
I like your consept

ElFuego
04-07-2005, 12:00 PM
Damn that's a scary one :)

I like the "psycho" theme mixed with somekinda oidibus syndrome. I hope those guys aren't related to my family ;) and that dead chick in the mirror is cool addon. :)

Best of luck!

twoheaded
04-08-2005, 01:50 AM
I think you have a solid idea coming, however, avoid using text to tell the viewer, try your best to tell the story through expression, gesture, colors etc.

Maginnis
04-08-2005, 04:14 AM
a shadow! yeah that's what i think is needed. was looking at this picture wondering what would really kick it up a little bit. i think in the reflection in the mirror having a shadow cast from the son facing towards his love (not mother) would really carry the story that much further. Also I don't think it's necessary to have "mommy loves me" on the wrist. it looks a bit forced in there. There should definitely be a window with a lovely atmospheric view behind the hand in teh foreground. and finally, i think that everything is a bit low to the ground, that all of the stuff back there is really squat including the chair the mother is in, i think those could use a bit more height on them to give the idea of her "overpowering" her son in a subtle way. she should seem regal and imposing, but right now she looks like she's pratically on the floor as do her belongings.

oh yeah, and maybe having the girl in the mirror looking towards the son with a mix of blissful love and the beginning stages of morbid fear:) I like the idea behind this picture alot, that's why I'm goin nuts with suggestoins, gettin alot of cool ideas from this pic. keep it up!

OrO
04-10-2005, 04:46 PM
waiting for more images...it's looking great so far:applause:

GaeasHerald
04-10-2005, 10:01 PM
Thank you guys for the kind comments, you really encourage me to push forward with my pic. I actually don't know if I'll be able to finish it, cause right now I'm flooded with exams and I haven't had a single second to devote to this since my last update. I'll do my best.

Korayarts, Oro and Arto: Thanks for the support!
Twoheaded: Yeah, you're right, having text is a very mediocre way of telling the story of a picture. I'll take it away for the next update.;)
Marginis: It's good to know that you like my idea. I agree with some of your suggestions, but I have very litlle time to review previous steps, so I won't be changing much of the scene for the moment. Please don't think that I don't appreciate your comments, it's just that with only two hours per week into this project, I can't afford to go back and change things.

OrO
04-11-2005, 05:43 AM
i have a loot of exams too..but i'm still pushing on :)

spacesnail
04-21-2005, 12:29 PM
Calling all stations ! Calling all stations ! GaeasHerald must come back to the contest !

GaeasHerald
04-23-2005, 09:29 PM
:cry: Mission aborted guys :cry:
I've put my priorities in order, and realised that I don't have enough time to pull this off, at least not properly. Anyway, I wish you all the best of luck, which for what I've seen is not at all needed. I'll try to keep posting in your threads as much as I can. Cya next time ;)

montclaris
04-28-2005, 12:01 AM
no worries Gerardo. There will be other contests for you.
I'm a bit disappointed, because your idea looked promising, but do for the best.
Good luck for your exams and c you next contest, mate :thumbsup:
BTW, how many exams a year do you have to come accross ?! You already had one during last contest IIRC !

GaeasHerald
04-30-2005, 01:34 AM
Montaclaris: Lets see... 5 to 7 exams per set, 2 sets per semester, and 2 semesters per year...
That would be around 24 exams a year, if I do well :hmm:..... I've had my first three this week and I'm reeeally happy with my results. Thanks for asking.

montclaris
04-30-2005, 02:00 AM
I see... that's four exam sessions a year to get rid of to make student's life more enjoyable ;).
Nice to hear you did well. C you.

CGTalk Moderation
04-30-2005, 02:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.