PDA

View Full Version : Attach Joints To A Skinned Model

neofg
03-23-2005, 04:16 PM
Hi all! That's my last problem!!! :)
I smooth-skinned a model, and I painted all weights... A long work as u know!
Now, My skeleton haven't hand's joints, so I must to attach them to the finished one...
How Can I make this without detach skin???
Help me, please...

elvis75k
03-23-2005, 04:36 PM
if u're in 6.5 check the new features :)

-elvis

neofg
03-23-2005, 04:54 PM
Yeah, I'm with 6.5... I look on the manual.

john_homer
03-23-2005, 08:07 PM
skin -> edit smooth skin -> add influence

its been in maya since v1.0 as far as I'm aware...

.j

neofg
03-24-2005, 07:56 AM
add influence? Yes, it's true... I try it...
It's incredible. I tought that add influence work with geometry, instead it make a perfect joint add...
Thank u man...

And anyone Can solve this other problem...?
I'm working with a rigged model... I need to extract a part of the body...
Now, when I try to paint weights after the detach Maya give me an error, and I Can see that vertex in component editor have not joint's assignment...
Why? Thanks all...

zinzin
03-24-2005, 09:47 AM
first problem: there is a script called --sorry I forgot the name ~ but it definately there on highend3d, animation section, u can use the script to append one or more joint in the model~

or u can output the weight map, detach it, with all the joints selected of course the extrea one u wanna add in as well ~ bind them again then input the weight map, paint weight, find the name of the newly created joint then assing weight on it.

both menthod I have been using hundreds time, will do.

second problem: it confused me a bit, caz if u want to paint weight, the model must be binded, otherwise what's the point to paint weight?
u probably want to bind them again~

good luck man
chreez!

neofg
03-24-2005, 10:21 AM
Hi zinzin! Thanks 4 the answer. I'm sorry 4 my terrible english!!!

The 2nd problem is this... I'm working with a human model...
This is an old rendering...

http://www.geocities.com/neofg/Japanese.jpg

It's binded and weighted.
But, as u Can see, the neck have a wrong texture. This is because the neck need to have the body shader... (body and face are separate objects) In this case I used the mr sss fastskin, and it never work good with two material assigned to the same object, so I extracted the neck, and combined with the body.
Now, if I want to modify weights, I Can't.
In the component editor, I never see joints influences when I select vertex that I wanna change, and when I try to paint weights Maya have an error...
Can't I change the geometry after binding?
And how I Can...?
Still Thanks...

zinzin
03-25-2005, 01:57 AM
heya, I can't view the pic u attached here!

but I persume what kind of problem u met!
I think you can do a bit chang on ur model, extract it or combine it, then delete non-skin history! so, the model can return nice and clean, but the skin information still there.

I don't know if this is the answer what u a seeking, or maybe u can post the actual scene here for me to check out!
chreez!

neofg
03-25-2005, 08:43 AM
Mmmh! I think that it is the solution... Now I try when I go home! Thank u very very....very much! I hope I Can help u one day...
I make u know...
For the image, sometimes geocities have problems... Now I think u Can see it!
Have a nice day!

NeoFG

zinzin
03-25-2005, 12:06 PM
good luck man
chreez:)

neofg
03-25-2005, 02:05 PM
Mmmmh...Fantastic! After I deleted nonskin-history all work good...
BUT...
It delete blend shapes...:banghead:
I cry...:cry:
How Can I transfer all blendshapes in block? Or never delete them?
Sigh...

Thanks for the help since now...

zinzin
03-26-2005, 02:44 AM
huh! new problem!
lol:)
sorry man, I think you can avoid deleteing belnd shape!
after you changed the toplogy of the model, the blend shape will wouldn't work properly anyway.

what I generally do is make a temp_middle_node as a blend shape base! unless u change the gemotry's toplogy, u can always go back do one step blend shape again!

u put all the blended shapes to the temp_middle_node for example~ a face, before you do the blend shape for the face, u put all the shapes to temp_mid_node, this basicly is a face as well, but with all blend shapes attached!

and whenever u want, u add the temp_mid_node face to the real face as another blendshape, so u can change any mid_node's pararmater to change the real face!

it seems a bit late to say this now, but anyway u can attach all the shapes again then change the order( or maybe u dont even need to change) of the bind and the blendshape.

try this menthod next time maybe:)

unfortunately I can't figure out any way to save all the fix blendshape for the body for now! hopefully someone else viewing this thread have a better idea!

good luck!!

neofg
03-29-2005, 01:11 PM
Ok man! I understand... Yeah, this is my first rigging, so a good previous setup is a good idea for start!
Thank u man! Ah, I solved my problem with a bit of fortune!
I grouped head+body and then apply the deletenonskinhistory to the group. It didn't delete the blendshapes! :eek: I never understand what I make but it work!!!
Thank u 4 all man! Good art!

CGTalk Moderation
03-29-2005, 01:11 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.