PDA

View Full Version : wavy beach technique

PeleKen
03-23-2005, 12:33 PM
I need to make a scene with a closeup of waves lapping against a beach. Anyone know a technique/ tutorial to get that foamy water effect where the water hits the sand? Like this: http://www.kauai-condobythesea.com/photos/kauai-beach/40%20steps%20to%20Prince%20Kuhio%20Beach.jpg
I've tried various particle effects, non seem to look that good close up.

zudo
03-30-2005, 02:02 AM
I saw one, but I forgot the site... Do you mean an animation or just a still image? For a still image, you could use a curved spline, couldn't you? Like make a long box, put a curved spline, and make one half of the box's material like the water and he other sand...

onionringofdoom
04-01-2005, 01:40 AM
What I would do would be to create a texture map of the foamy white water part, then blend it into the texture of the normal water using a gradient or something. Then you could just animate the location of the floam map. Hope this helps!

victor throe
04-02-2005, 07:05 PM
oooh, thats a good one.

im going to have a play with that. if i make progress, ill post it up as a tutorial

what kind of aesthetic will this have? are you going for photoreal?(if the answer is yes, why do it CG)

victor throe
04-02-2005, 10:25 PM
this is insanely difficult with the out the box tools.

im beginning to think a trip to the beach is required.

i reckon find a pier, and film down on top of the lapping ocean and start with that as a texture. perhaps use it to create a mask texture to apply to your own materials.

LouisBrowne
05-06-2005, 11:15 PM
Any luck finding a way? < I'm wanting to do something similar - so if you find an easy peesy method post it!
Cheers

Sarfi
05-16-2005, 03:12 PM
Meta particles. Thats how they did it in finding nemo. Basiclly just make an emitter and have the target the on the beach(or numerous, dont know how you would want to do it) and set particle type to meta, then change size around. hen for the texture give it a slightly transparent gas texture. With raytrace also. Then make a spline for the ocean with a blue to green to white-ish. then for smaller bubbles add more emitters with smaller particles. Hope that helps.

Oh!, I just had another idea, you can try using reator, seperate the ocean to 2 meshes and give the wave one a cloth modifier and use reactor. If its a still have it start up high with a large mass, then at frame 100 or what-not have it fall on a rought mesh thats a deformer. Anywho, thats all I can think of, hope if gives you some ideas.

CGTalk Moderation
05-16-2005, 03:12 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.