PDA

View Full Version : Master and Servant 2D Entry: Rudy Jan Faber

Rudeone
03-23-2005, 10:36 AM
Rudy Jan Faber has entered the Master and Servant 2D.

Challenge Page (http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/masterandservant/view_entries.php?challenger=6193)

Latest Update: Final Image: Tea Party 2205 A.D.
http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/8/6193/6193_1116454533_medium.jpg (http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/8/6193/6193_1116454533_large.jpg)

Yesterday I allready posted my final image, but when I looked at it this morning I wasn\\\'t happy about certain parts, so I decided to work on it somemore since there\\\'s still some time left.

I didn\\\'t change a lot, just added some subtle details and retouched some parts.

I forgot to explain the piece in my last post so here goes: The year is 2205 A.D. On a nice sunny day a bunch of kids are playing in their backyard on an alien planet humans colonised some time ago. Two girls are dressed up like some proper ladies because they are having a tea party this afternoon. They demanded that their parents old retired worker robot joined in on the party. He really doesn\\\'t like to join, but he has to cause he\\\'s programmed to obbey humans, even little girls.
The girl on the left (clearly the snobby girl)is getting angry at the other kids who want to play with the robot cause they are ruining her tea party and she\\\'s yelling at the robot cause he doesn\\\'t want to drink his tea cause he\\\'s affraid he will start to rust from the inside if fluids entered his body. The tea cups are offcource empty cause they\\\'re just pretending, but how should the robot know that, he never took part in a tea party.

snobby girl:\\\"GO AWAY! you\\\'re ruining my tea party!\\\"
girl on knee: \\\"Mom said we could play with xp98uyt6765\\\"
snobby girl: \\\"Well I don\\\'t care, GO AWAY!...xp drink your tea!\\\"
xp: \\\"but..master..I..will..start..to..rust..if..liquids..enter..my..body\\\"
snobby girl: \\\"there\\\'s no reeeeal tea in it you idiot! we\\\'re pretending, NOW DRINK!\\\"
xp: \\\"yes..master\\\"
snobby girl: \\\"and stop calling me master, call me...Lady Luna\\\"
xp: \\\"yes..master..I..mean..Lady..Luna\\\"

enjoy, cheers

NOOB!
03-23-2005, 10:40 AM
gud luck!!

Squibbit
03-23-2005, 10:41 AM
and welcome!

ms@zx
03-23-2005, 11:05 AM
its good to see u here..good luck man!:thumbsup:

Rudeone
03-23-2005, 12:57 PM
Thanx guys :) , good to see you guys participating, good luck

Rudeone
03-23-2005, 02:00 PM
The first idea I got was about robots serving humans, maybe a little cliche, but I thought I could make an interesting piece with this subject.
I was thinking about an everyday streetview, maybe a little futuristic.
the first thing I came up with was two children trying to move a stubbern 'iron giant' type robot, like a donkey that doesn't want to move.
I changed it in a girl walking her Aibo dog that suddenly is chasing a robot cat or something like that, the girl is trying to keep the dog in control.
This will be a small part of the whole piece, there will be robots serving drinks, cleaning the streets, helping old ladies cross the streets or stuff like that. The Aibo dog will be a sort of joke or easteregg.
But because it was my first idea, I made a quick 5 minutes sketch of the girl walking her Aibo dog.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v300/rudeone/walkingaibo.jpg

Rudeone
03-23-2005, 06:13 PM
I just got another idea, a big robot on a tea party. It has to be a contrast: big battle robot participating in a children's tea party, it's obvious the robot is the servant.

30 minutes marker sketch

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v300/rudeone/bigroboteaparty.jpg

Ilikesoup
03-23-2005, 06:33 PM
I like your second idea. It took a minute to notice but I laughed when I saw the boy in the cowboy hat on the bot's shoulder. Good luck!

NOOB!
03-23-2005, 06:38 PM
second one is great,first one is risky as the human..pet thing is already kinda popular.

Rudeone
03-23-2005, 06:49 PM
Thanx guys :) , yeah I agree it could be quite risky, but I didn't find this idea the way I had in mind yet, but than again I haven't checked all entry's. I think I will do some cleaner and more detailed sketches for both subjects and decide wich one it's gonna be.

paperclip
03-23-2005, 08:46 PM
:wavey: I'm watching. Good luck to you and I love your concept so far. Great colours and very funny!
Keep up the good work!!

Rudeone
03-23-2005, 09:58 PM
http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/8/6193/6193_1111618727_medium.jpg (http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/8/6193/6193_1111618727_large.jpg)

First concept

edit: ehm yeah same sketch once more, I copy pasted the url of the first sketch and thus didn't submit it as a milestone for concept sketch

Rudeone
03-23-2005, 10:04 PM
http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/8/6193/6193_1111619039_medium.jpg (http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/8/6193/6193_1111619039_large.jpg)

Ok, so I'm probably going with the big robo. I should do this probably in a later stage, but I wanted to check out some options for some funny hats that those little raskals made that poor robot wear.

NinjaA55N
03-23-2005, 10:54 PM
Hi! A very nice freehand technique and style... Also the concept is quite nice, I would just think about the place where will everything be happening. A green is a nice choice so u may think some outside place. And about the robots hat, I would keep the first sketch idea of the housekeepers outfit. It suits very well to the theme :) Good luck with this challenge!

Rudeone
03-23-2005, 11:19 PM
Hey thanx Blaz. I'm not really sure about a background yet, but I do think an outside place would be the best option. The green is just to make the composition jump out more, it could have been pretty much every color, it had to be a color I hadn't used in the subject itself yet and I just took a green marker.

About those hats: I personally like the wig the most I think because it makes the robot looks pretty stupid, but everything is possible at this stage, maybe when I go to bed I think of a concept that I like better than this one and end up doing a completely different painting.

Anyway, thanx again and good luck to you too, I'm trying to check your thread, but when I click the link my computer crashes somehow, so I'll be visiting later

ninox
03-24-2005, 01:18 AM
Hello Rudeone,

Just want to say that I prefer yours first idea; the girl with her dog. I think that the way you exposed it, it's very original.
The second idea is quite nice too. I like the robot with the girl hair, very funny.
Good luck for this challenge.
ninox:)

Walrusmann
03-24-2005, 06:26 AM
gotta say i like the first one with the girl and the dog to man i dont know why it just looked good to me but your robot colored is looking very good ill be watching ya man good luck

jmBoekestein
03-24-2005, 06:33 AM
Hi rudeone, just wanted to drop by and wish you luck and a load of fun of course~!!!:scream: Keep on keepin' on:scream:

I don't know about which idea I like best I must say, they all sound fun. Good luck with that!

Rudeone
03-24-2005, 09:01 AM
ninox: Thanx man :) , I still like my first idea too, but it's quite complex and because I have some other projects running, I think I'm not able to finish it. I'm going with the big robo for now, but who knowes maybe I can find some extra time and end up doing both or at least start it and finish it after the deadline because I still want to paint that one.
Anyway, thanx again man, good luck to you too, I'll be dropping by in your thread later.

Walrusmann: Hey buddy, nice to see ya :) , ok so you're going for my first one too, don't worry mate, I will somehow get to that, maybe for the challenge otherwise to boost up my portfolio, but I will do the painting sometime (my mad hatter piece will have to wait for now :D ).
Thanx for your comment buddy

jmBoekestein: Hey thanx man, nice to see you participating too :) , I hope you will have as much fun as I'm having and good luck to you too.
I haven't checked your thread yet, but I will drop by later today. I somehow have a feeling yours will feature a beautifull (nude) girl :D . I noticed while visiting the WIP and DSG forums that you're very skilled at drawing beautifull natural women.

OKMER
03-24-2005, 10:06 AM
He..nice concept and nice sketches too.Could be cool indeed,some kind of picknick in nature with the bot.Good luck and fun to you!!!

Rudeone
03-24-2005, 11:44 AM
http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/8/6193/6193_1111668248_medium.jpg (http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/8/6193/6193_1111668248_large.jpg)

A quick composition sketch done in a different angle, I think this way the composition looks more interesting.

Rudeone
03-24-2005, 02:55 PM
Hi OKMER, sorry I wanted to reply on your comment, but I forgot :blush: . Thanx man, yeah a picknick, cool! I'm now thinking about giving it a kinda sci-fi twist, maybe a little homage to Star Wars, thinking about giving the little tea drinking missy a Padme Amidala look and let some other little raskals wear big helmets and stuff like that, maybe a kid alien. Wow so many ideas right now, an intergalactic picknick with some space colonists offspring, harrassing a big servant droid...back to the drawingboard!!

coCoKNIght
03-24-2005, 03:03 PM
Those poor robots... :sad: ... somday they're gonna get aware of their strenghth and superiorness and THEN, THEY are gonna play with US!

EDIT: I apologize for the above text, sometimes my computer takes over and stuff like this occurs. Hope nobody's been offended.

mybutterflyiris
03-24-2005, 05:23 PM
I think I definately like this angle better than the last. And these sketches definately show more emotion too.

Rudeone
03-24-2005, 07:16 PM
http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/8/6193/6193_1111695359_medium.jpg (http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/8/6193/6193_1111695359_large.jpg)

I got an idea of a more sci-fi/fantasy feel in the image. I wanted to do a star wars reference. I'm wondering, is this allowed? I went to some of my artbooks in my collection and I absolutly love this art of star wars book that I have. I used it for inspiration, but especially the girl ended up looking a lot like Padme Amidala, remind that I just went trough the book and put it back before I started sketching. It was my intention to make the girl look like Padme, but now I'm kinda affraid it could be considered as a rip-of or plagiarism. I don't intend to rip those artists of, it's ment to be a homage to star wars, maybe if I put in some eastereggs like darth vaders helmet?
Does anybody know about this?

Walrusmann
03-24-2005, 10:52 PM
hey man who doesnt like star wars right im not bein negitive on ya but im not sure going with the star wars directon is the bestway
personally the kids climbing all over that big robot is growin on me i think you got somethin there

jmBoekestein
03-24-2005, 11:11 PM
Hi rudeone!

Thanks for the compliment, you're not that far off actually:D , lol! I heard old not so wise man say once that young women are the holy grail old sods like him were looking for and could never find. Kiddin'!

I think your sketches are good, but I also feel that it might be too much to go with Star Wars, but hey you can always build on the feel you have for it now and totally leave the Star Wars stuff out of it! You know change in colours, details and overall looks into something else.

Rudeone
03-24-2005, 11:45 PM
Thanx guys :) The main reason a was going for a sort of star wars theme was because I suddenly liked the idea of a sci-fi/fantasy feel. I love that art of star wars book of mine and I felt like trying a kinda similar fantasy aproach, also because I never do this sort of stuff. However I figured if I was going for this it would almost be unavoidable not to get the resemblance of those beautifull SW costume designs, so I thought I might do a homage and refer to SW, more like an easteregg, but I didn't intend to have existing SW characters in my piece, but my own characters in SW-style costumes. I checked it out and learned it would be concidered as fan-art if I would refer to SW and that's not allowed, so I dropped that idea.
For the record: I'm not a SW fanboy at all, although I love the whole atmosphere and looks of it.

ozhaver
03-25-2005, 01:58 AM
There's so much humour in your sketches and pictures. It's refreshing!
Best of lucks!

XIA
03-25-2005, 02:01 AM
Cool Robot and kids! I like...very refreshing.

Tariq12
03-25-2005, 09:33 AM
Heh, your 'robot tea party' is brilliant !
Thanks for the crits on mine.
Can't wait to see what you come up with.

All the best for the challenge.
T.
My Master & servant :
http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?threadid=222506

NinjaA55N
03-25-2005, 09:44 AM
Whatching ur newest updates I came out with an idea of a bigger robot to increase the dramatic/emotional effect of the pic. Just a thought :)

Rudeone
03-25-2005, 10:08 AM
Ok let me do some replies on everybody who I didn't reply on personally yet

coCoKNIght: wow not good man! you should get a computer exorsist:D

mybutterflyiris: I think so too, it gives more depth doesn't it?

Walrusmann: thanx buddy, your absolutly right, no fan-art

jmBoekestein: yeah no SW anymore, but I will go for the sci-fi/fantasy look I think

oz haver: glad you like it, I'm curious about what you come up with, there's so much participants, I can't find yours

XIA: thank you so much

Tariq12: thanx man, good luck to you too, I'll be watching

NinjaASSN: good idea, although the robot shouldn't be to big cause he wouldn't fit on that little chair anymore :D . I'm also trying the get a view from beneath (I really suck at that:sad: ), I think that would increase the dramatic effect also

Rudeone
03-25-2005, 10:43 AM
http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/8/6193/6193_1111751036_medium.jpg (http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/8/6193/6193_1111751036_large.jpg)

Aproaching the final robot concept. It still needs retouching and I want the cameraview to come from beneath, but other than that I'm quite satisfied with this concept

Velinov
03-25-2005, 10:48 AM
Love those sketches. The robot is so infantile with this wig. :) Nice work, wait to se more from you! Good luck. :thumbsup:

My master and Servant (http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?t=221933)
----------------------
www.velinov.com (http://www.velinov.com/)

duddlebug
03-25-2005, 11:33 AM
Awwww... i'd missed this thread until now!! I love this idea. And the little 'Star Wars' kids are inspired!! I love the way they're clambering on hima dn he looks like he's reluctantly doing his duty...

But the latest iteration of the robot is great... his big long legs and the tiny stool are perfect (although i think he's leaning back a little too much and his hands need some work)

I'll look forward to updates...

digiscape
03-25-2005, 11:36 AM
love the robot keep it up :)

Rudeone
03-25-2005, 12:35 PM
Woohoo more replies

Velinov: Hey thanx :) , I didn't gave the bot a wig in the last update, but I do think I will add it in the final piece cause it just looks so stupid, makes it cool I gues.
BTW your concept is excellent!...ow I allready told you this in your thread:D

duddlebug: Hey thanx, nice to hear from you :) , I'm glad you like it. Yeah it still needs some retouching and I will change the angle a bit I think, but I think the final robot will be much like my latest sketch.

digiscape: Thank you very much, much apreciated :)

There will be no updates this weekend since I'm visiting my parents for the hollidays, but I will visit the forum during the weekend. Right, I'm gonna crack open a beer, see y'all later, cheers

ms@zx
03-25-2005, 01:14 PM
ohh great~!i like the design of the mech.i'd agreed with duddle comments on the hand,alil more attention to it will do just great!:)for the color rendition?what sort of approach are u going to?cartoony?realsitic?i'd sure love to see some color version soon:)

keep it up rudy!

lenny grafix
03-25-2005, 01:24 PM
Like the concept of the robot with the children and all.

Keep up the good work!

Gelroth
03-25-2005, 01:44 PM
Great sketches..
Nice work.:)

OKMER
03-25-2005, 01:49 PM
Hee,this is going really the right way man!!!It's inded a nice concept and the embarrased look of the robot is great.I agree with duddle a bit for the leaning back too far and the hands.
Keep m coming!!!
Later, MAzzel !!!

jmBoekestein
03-25-2005, 02:30 PM
That's lookng very good man, the big guy is the one on the left right? I think people will really feel sorry for him.

Rudeone
03-25-2005, 03:51 PM
And more replies, great:)

ms@zx (ms@zx): Thanx Michael, the style or form of the piece will be slightly cartoony I think, but the color rendation will be realistic. I'm taking a few days of and after the weekend I will start the line-art and color WIP. See ya around:)

lenny grafix: Hahaa Theo, nice to see you joined cgtalk:) . Bedankt jonge, zie je vanavond wel bij paaj, laterzzzz!

Gelroth: Thank you very much:)

OKMER: Bedankt man:), yep Duddlebug was right about the leaning backward thing and hands, will get to that. Mazzel!

jmBoekestein: Bedankt JM :) euhhm...big guy, one on the left? The big guy is the one that's a lot bigger than the rest and looks like he's made of metal instead of flesh and hair;)
Later dude!

coCoKNIght
03-25-2005, 04:41 PM
I looked it up in the yellow pages but there are no computer exorcists :sad:
The robot is so very very well done.... I'm afraid I have nothing to criticize... but your images can't always be perfect, and then my time will come to give you some helpful critique! :twisted:

AirbORn
03-25-2005, 06:53 PM
Great concepts so far! But I'd love to see more ideas. Keep them coming :)

ozhaver
03-25-2005, 07:49 PM
Ha haa! I Haven't submitted anything yet; still thinking on what should I do...insofar I have just decided on the format and some vague ideas about the spatial composition. I had a dream...interesting one too, perhaps I should use it.

If you're still worried about the Padme/Amidala issue...why don't you go to the source? Look at chinese, japanese and overall oriental art. ^_~ I was always bugged that Amidala somewhat had *noob* Maiko/Hangyoku-styled lip make up instead of Geisha/Geiko...I also prefer the Tayuu/Oiran overload of hair decor... *ok, ok, ok, I'll shut up, I am rambling now...* :D

Gord-MacDonald
03-26-2005, 07:08 AM
Terrific concept drawings! Keep em coming!:thumbsup:

Gord

ElFuego
03-26-2005, 08:08 AM
robo with funny hats cracked me up :D Maybe too muck steel giant stuff but looks good so far.
Good luck to you! :)

Rudeone
03-26-2005, 11:47 AM
coCoKNIght: Hey thanx man! but euhm...my sketches aren't that good, let alone be perfect.
There probably will be updates that you can crit the hell out, thanx again buddy:)

AirbORn: Hey thanx man, I'm glad you like it:) I'd like to have some other concepts, but so far evrything I came up with allready existed in the challenge. I'm going with the robot for now, but if I have a better idea I will make some sketches and let you guys decide wich it's gonna be.

oz haver: Thanx man, you are so right, good point! Offcourse those SW artists had been inspired by existing (mostly asian) fashion/clothing, that didn't even crossed my mind.
I will do some research on traditional japanese clothing and all and see if I can use some and stop being affraid to come of as a rip-of.
Looking forward to see what you come up with:bounce:

gordonm: Thank you very much:) , will have some updates next week

ElFuego: Thanx, glad you think it's funny:) , do you mean the iron giant? well, that's sort of the whole idea and no I won't refer to that movie:D , good luck to you too!

omengeorge
03-26-2005, 11:53 AM
lovely stuff you are doing up here..the tough part will be convincingly fitting them into the whole picture, and getting the master servant mesage across..who's serving whom type,,, the aibo steers a bit away from the servant factor, as its not exactly serving in anyway... but ur scene idea works for sure
love,
Vinesh

Tariq12
03-26-2005, 09:31 PM
Cool ! nice ' Bot' Rudy. Very Iron Giant.. but cooler. Can't wait to see what kind of metal textures your gonna aply to this.
:cool:

jmBoekestein
03-26-2005, 10:54 PM
Well there you go!

I meant that your later concept was of the big android in the left of the earlier one. Anyway, I felt sorry for the guy. All alone and wearing a wig.

And looks like that is solid advice, going to the source of the designs. Don't know what all the terms mean, but I certainly saw inconsistencies in the movies but took them for granted. I think you should go with it because you made some nice designs in you sketch!

Good luck!

digiscape
03-27-2005, 09:53 AM
i love the party idea with all them damn kids kind of replaces the family dog :)

this is what i would do :P get rid of the nervous look and give him that fed up look like he has to be there but doesn’t want to, you know?

another idea is he should be blowing up balloons, and he has to have the party hat :)

blackdragoncg
03-27-2005, 05:06 PM
Awsome work so far :thumbsup: Good luck brining it all together!

Walrusmann
03-28-2005, 07:32 PM
i like the new angle straight on the robot is he gonna have a couple kids crawling on him that would be pretty comical that big robot just sitting there with all these kids playing on him

Rudeone
03-28-2005, 11:23 PM
Phew what a weekend, finally my hangover has gone and I definitly will lay of the chocolate for a month!
I'm still at my parents so I couldn't work on this the past few days, will be going home first thing in the morning and probably update later that day.
For now I will reply on your replies and bump this thread back:D

omengeorge: Thanx Vinesh:) , but I think you're talking about my first concept. I'm going for the big robot being forced by little kids to participate in a tea party, well for now that is.
The concept with the Aibo dog and all didn't make, but who knows maybe I'll change my mind, I'm planning on doing that piece somewhere in the future, but probably not for the challenge.

Tariq12: Thanx man:) great you think my bot is cooler than 'iron giant', that means a lot to me. I'm kinda curious how these metal textures gonna turn out myself, can't say I have a lot of experience in metal textures, but i'll try my best.

jmBoekestein: aha I see:) Yeah I will do some resource on these traditional clothing and hairstyles cause I did like the little girl with the big hair in my sketch a lot, thanx mate!

digiscape: Hehe yeah exactly, his job was babysitting the space farmers kids, but those darn children totally ruled over him (you know how kids can be), maybe he was just programmed to entertain the children, but he doesn't like em at all and he certainly doesn't want to participate in this, he hates it, those menacing raskals!
Him blowing up balloons could be very cool, but I think I like him better with that little cup of tea. Thanx:thumbsup:

blackdragoncg: Thank you very much, much appreciated:thumbsup:

Walrusmann: Thanx dude:) Yeah I think the final piece will be much like that little doodle I did earlier with all those kids climbing on the guy, I think the final concept and maybe the line-art will be posted tommorow.

shyamshriram
03-29-2005, 04:11 PM
Hi Rudy :) sorry im late again....
Dude u did so much work !! and i must appriciate...u have a great drawing skills !! i wish i could draw these kinda robos *sigh*
keep going mate ! all the best to u :)

Ilikesoup
03-29-2005, 06:15 PM
Robot looks great. As for the Star Wars question, I don't think the tea party would look very realistic with a bunch of kids in perfect Star Wars costumes. I'd rather see one as a cowboy, one as a princess, one with (smudged) Darth Maul makeup, etc. I think that's how kids play anyway, and you avoid copyright problems. BTW, you could always have robodog peeking his head over the fence in the bg, seeing as you like putting in Easter Eggs.

Keep up the good work.

omengeorge
03-29-2005, 06:29 PM
hmm Rudy..actually i was thinking that the girl and the robot were botha part of a big scenescape you were making out depicting robots and humans coexisting in various ways..
neat idea for a robot tea party though..kinda both of us then are doing tea time stuff huh:D
lol
will be up to see your next update,
love,
Vinesh

Rudeone
03-29-2005, 07:46 PM
Hiya thanx guys

Shyam: Thank you so much, you have great skills yourself, I admire your work a lot. See ya around and all the best to you too

Ilikesoup: Thanx, yeah you're right. I just had a sudden urge to go for a sci-fi fantasy look when I went trough my art of SW book to get some bot inspiration, thought it might be cool to give some kids trooper like helmets and make the little 'princess' look like Amidala, but I didn't intend to give em original SW costumes, but after the sketches I got affraid it could be judged as a rip-of. A kid dressed up like Darth Maul would be very cool, but I learned it would be fan-art if I did and that's not allowed, so I won't refer to SW in any way, however I could still go for the kinda Amidala look cause the SW artists based her on traditional oriental designs, I will see. I do think the idea of the kids dressed up is very cool and I really like your idea of the robodog.

omengeorge: ah ok. lol yeah that's pretty funny. I'm not really original though cause the piece I was working on before I entered the challenge also showed a tea party, but it is about the mad hatter scene from Alice in wonderland. The robo image just suddenly popped in my head and I thought it could be pretty funny, it's more a coincedence that it also is about a tea party, hmm maybe I have some deep rooted urges to dress up and have tea parties...just kidding;)

Rudeone
03-29-2005, 10:22 PM
http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/8/6193/6193_1112138569_medium.jpg (http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/8/6193/6193_1112138569_large.jpg)

Latest concept of the big bot. I'm quite happy how this turned out and I think I've reached the final look of the robot.

ChristianHammer
03-29-2005, 10:24 PM
Love the new bot it looks great! Gotta go with the pink "fedora" hat, definately the most rediculous of them!

jmBoekestein
03-30-2005, 12:14 AM
Looks good,

He looks shy with his stubby neck like that, the odd one out. Works well!

lulaassassina
03-30-2005, 01:04 AM
Nice to see you here, Rudeone. :)

ms@zx
03-30-2005, 01:14 AM
looking good rudy,i especially like the blue illuminated eyes.http://cgtalk.com/images/smilies/smile.gifso this metal guy will be cleanly shaded or it'll be rusty kind of look?it seems good for the material on him for now.would love to see more updates~

Gamoron
03-30-2005, 03:38 AM
I like how it turned out too. I love the look of toony robots, and I think this guy looks great. And he's so dainty too! :D
:beer:

JTD
03-30-2005, 04:07 AM
I love your sense of humor. In fact, the face of the big robot is just perfect reply to this silly situation. He looks dazed and confused!

Rudeone
03-30-2005, 03:05 PM
Thanx guys:) I'm not really sure yet about the hat, a friend of mine suggested indian feathers (? what's it called?) because of the kid on his neck wearing a cowboy hat, like playing cowboys and indians, but maybe I won't give him a hat at all cause I kinda like him bold as in my last sketch...hmmm have to think about it.

Hmmm good point Michael, didn't really think of him being rusty or shiny yet, what do you guys think?

Rudeone
03-30-2005, 03:45 PM
http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/8/6193/6193_1112201099_medium.jpg (http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/8/6193/6193_1112201099_large.jpg)

Some quick tests for an environment. I thought of a forest to give the piece a mysterious atmosphere, but it wouldn't really make sence to have a kids tea party in a forest, although it could turn out really cool. The second one makes more sence, a party on a bright sunny day in the garden.

Slav
03-30-2005, 06:09 PM
nice work... this is cute, i did enjoy it.

i will definatly be looking out for more.

gra7
03-30-2005, 06:12 PM
great idea !! exelent envoirment !!!

my 100 post go tu u !
c ya !!

omengeorge
03-30-2005, 06:33 PM
sweet stuff rudy... this robots lookin majorly cute... and the children are just perfect..
however..I just thought of something...its like friends playing together, not a servant and its masters...
maybe something should be done to bring out the master servant rel more clearly..maybe one kid <snob girl> dressed up and ordering..or showing the robot the right way to hold the cup.. while the other kids of course have their fun anddont pay any attention to the snobby miss uppity nose...here the only one thats actually doing any listening would be the robot, as after all ..all these humans, kids or not, are its masters...
just a thought...

love,
Vinesh

omengeorge
03-30-2005, 06:38 PM
hmm .. lol another thought.. maybe the snobby girl..if u go with that at all..could be standing on the robots knee..where the girl in pink is...and looking at him and directing...

oh yeah..my vote goes for shiny definitely, as it looks like a robot left by the parents with the children, adn you dont let precious stuff go to waste, even if they are servants..afterall..ppl having maids or butlers, wouldnt want them to be unhygenic exactly, or unkempt..
love,
Vinesh

BaronImpossible
03-30-2005, 07:34 PM
That's pretty good. I like the cowboys and indians idea, too. I reckon it could work if you gave the cowboy hat to the robot and had the kid on top wearing a massive colourful headdress (you'd need to extend the canvas a bit, but it would help composition). Also have the other two kids dressed up. You could then have a couple of those arrows with suckers on stuck to the robot's shoulder or something. Nice job, anyway, keep it up.

Rudeone
03-30-2005, 09:22 PM
Slav and gra7: Thank you very much:)

omengeorge: Thanx man! lol, yeah good idea to have the snobby girl yelling cause that stupid bot is doing it all wrong. Maybe she could be yelling at the other kids cause they're ruining her tea party, have to think about that, but her yelling would definitly make it clear that she's the master and the robot the servant.
The girl on the knee directing the bot how to hold the cups could also work, will check it out, thanx:thumbsup:

Baron Impossible: That's a fantastic idea! The boy could hold a toy-axe and is about to scalp the cowboy-bot and yes definitly arrows with suckers!, thanx:thumbsup:

jmBoekestein
03-31-2005, 06:25 PM
imo, the forest. Baaron imp., said it! In a forest is not necessary but the atmosphere helps the mood. It doesn't look mysterious but more happy and full of life to me.

Miyagu
03-31-2005, 09:53 PM
i like the robot a lot! very nice sketch.. the kid hugging the leg of the robot.. that´s so sweet! good luck! :thumbsup:

Rudeone
04-01-2005, 12:39 PM
http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/8/6193/6193_1112362760_medium.jpg (http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/8/6193/6193_1112362760_large.jpg)

I was looking for some geisha reference for the snobby little girl and when I started sketching her I got an idea to dress all kids in traditional japanese clothing. I thought it might be cool to change the little indian guy in a samurai and have another boy in full samurai armour and have him be a samurai archer so I can still use the arrows with suckers idea. What do you guys think?

element5
04-01-2005, 01:20 PM
Hiya Rudy,

some nice concepts you have looking forward to more :)

jmBoekestein
04-01-2005, 02:51 PM
Well done!

Doesn't remind me of SW at all. It's going to be great!!!:thumbsup:

TheFirstAngel
04-01-2005, 03:02 PM
awesome characterworx. your toonstyle is fantastic, the hat studies gave me a great laugh.
mhmmmm, will the traditional japanese clothingstyle fit with the robo? i sortal liked the mix you had in your former sketch. but never the less, great update, keep it up!
cheers:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Rudeone
04-02-2005, 10:10 AM
Thanx guys:)
I'm not really sure if i'm going with the japanese style, I just sketched out what popped in my mind at the time, also I thought about every kid representing a different culture, but maybe I'll just stick with the old one. At the moment it's all kinda blurry and I really have to make up my mind and start the line-art and colour WIP, have to think really hard now...need...ideas!

NOOB!
04-02-2005, 10:10 AM
noo stay japanese,japanese is cool!

ms@zx
04-02-2005, 11:04 AM
great!!,i like ur style of painting,and the way u design the characters.alil bit of anime yet it feels and smell like urs still:)

Rudeone
04-02-2005, 12:03 PM
Thanx guys.
I needed to think and because it's nice and sunny outside (I love spring!) I decided to take my bicycle and mp3player and go cruise a little trough town cause that usually helps me think.
I came up with a couple ideas for a scene

Go back to the first idea of some kids playing on and around the bot (well that idea won't be changed) in the backgarden, little idian guy on the bot's neck and litle snobby tea drinking girl dressed up as a proper lady.
same as above only it takes playes in a childs bedroom, the bot was to big to enter trough the door so he just crashed trough leaving a big gap in the wall. Mommy standing in the gap looking like:eek: holding a tray of milk and cookies (another servant)
Go with the japanese theme and let it take place in a beautifull japanese garden.
Go with the japanese theme and have a sort of same scenario as the second idea, but it now takes place in a japanese interior and the robot just crashed trough a paper wall (does anybody know that episode of the Simpsons when they're in japan and Homer and Bart are in jail, when Marge pays bail they just walk trough the paper wall instead of the sliding door?, kinda like that)
Go with a sci-fi theme and have the kids dressed in futuristic spacemarine-like clothing, it could be inside a spaceship with a futuristic designed room or maybe outside on an alien planet with spacecrafts flying in the background and maybe a huge metropolis in the distance.

Hmm kinda stuck right now, all these ideas look cool in my head, can't choose. Gonna sit in the sun, crack open a beer and think some more, cheers!

NinjaA55N
04-02-2005, 02:12 PM
Hmm.. Im not so comfortable with that samurai theme... MAybe, if there is a masquerade or some sort of halloween is going on, so there r different characters and also a robot could be then painted with make up or something. Just an idea... I remember u wanted to make a robot for a tea party :)

Rudeone
04-03-2005, 12:47 AM
Thanx guys, I''m kinda loaded right now so I'll proably don't make much sence.
I kinda decided to go with the sci-fi theme, i have a great dialog to go withh the pic, but sicnce I'm kinda drunk right now it sounds kinda stupid, will get back to you when I sober up, see y'all later

Rudeone
04-04-2005, 07:15 PM
http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/8/6193/6193_1112642150_medium.jpg (http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/8/6193/6193_1112642150_large.jpg)

Hello everybody. I did the lines for the composition of the tea party and the basic bgcolor. I'm gonna work with this for now and will be adding background elements later on. As you can see I decided to go with the sci-fi theme. Eventually there will be spacecrafts in the background, maybe a city or stuff like that.

Rudeone
04-04-2005, 10:44 PM
http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/8/6193/6193_1112654683_medium.jpg (http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/8/6193/6193_1112654683_large.jpg)

I wanted big clouds in the background, so I figured I should start with that. After a few different styles clouds (colour, form) I was quite happy how these turned out, although they could still need some retouching.

I decided to do a quick rough light test and I will keep this on a seperate layer as a guideline, but I'm not completly sure about it, so if it looks of to you, please let me know

Slav
04-04-2005, 11:15 PM
any hints on what you are going to do with the bg?

i could read through all your thread but my head would pop :(

would have to say that the concepts are wicked ill just wait till you put down a few more updates :) great work and keep em comming!

jmBoekestein
04-04-2005, 11:17 PM
Good mood to the lighting I think. I would like to see some bounce light though. If you know what I mean, I always liked that on bright picnic photo's.

Walrusmann
04-04-2005, 11:31 PM
dude your clouds look really good and i think you definitly got the lighting right on this (as usual with you) i do think though that the metal on the robot would have more reflection than that

Rudeone
04-04-2005, 11:49 PM
Slav: Thanx. I'm not really sure about a background yet, I was thinking maybe a hilltop and a huge city below, spacecrafts in the air, stuff like that.

jmBoekestein: Thanx, yeah I know what you mean, good idea

Walrusmann: Thanx dude, this was just a rough test on how the lighting should fall, I will use it as a guideline. In the final the robot will have more reflection

Rudeone
04-18-2005, 10:24 PM
http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/8/6193/6193_1113863056_medium.jpg (http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/8/6193/6193_1113863056_large.jpg)

finally found some time to work a little on this again. It isn't much and it's still very rough, but I felt like doing a little update since it has been a while since I last updated.
I so hope I get to finish it...

Rudeone
04-19-2005, 10:36 PM
http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/8/6193/6193_1113950161_medium.jpg (http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/8/6193/6193_1113950161_large.jpg)

blocked in the foreground basecolours and started a little detailing.

Rudeone
04-26-2005, 10:23 PM
http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/8/6193/6193_1114554222_medium.jpg (http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/8/6193/6193_1114554222_large.jpg)

So I started working on coloring the kids. I found a little time to detail these faces, the rest still is very rough, what do you guys think?

Rudeone
04-29-2005, 12:03 AM
http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/8/6193/6193_1114733022_medium.jpg (http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/8/6193/6193_1114733022_large.jpg)

A small update, I painted the little spacecowboy on the bot's shoulders, I think it looks pretty good, but it still needs a little touch and final detail. I think I will actually make the deadline, however there's still a lot of work to do and I'm still not really sure about a background. There will be aircrafts flying around, but I don't know if there should be a city skyline in the BG, maybe it would draw the eye away from the foreground to much.

Rudeone
05-03-2005, 09:22 PM
http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/8/6193/6193_1115155367_medium.jpg (http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/8/6193/6193_1115155367_large.jpg)

Todays update, I'm guessing 1 day of painting before I can start the final coloring, clean up messy parts, put in more details, tweak a little etc. I should be able to finish it in time.

Ilikesoup
05-04-2005, 04:55 PM
I've been away from this thread so long I hardly recognized your pic. I think it's a great idea that you went with a future world. Good to see that there's still green grass in the future.:D I like the clouds and that's a nice skyline you've got behind them. I assume the details are gonna be in a future post. Only crit I can offer is about the blimp -- if it's a normal sized blimp hovering over the city the colors should be more desaturated and the shadows only a tad bit darker than the base value. Now it looks like a toy blimp hovering in the foreground (unless it really is, then forget what I said :hmm: ). I like that Teddy bear got his own seat for the tea party.

Rudeone
05-05-2005, 12:36 PM
Hey thanx Ilikesoup.
The skyline is just a quick rough that I keep on a seperate layer and use it as a guideline for the final, so yeah it's gonna be detailed.

You're right about the blimp, it is supposed to be hovering above the city, will take your advice on this, thanx

Rudeone
05-10-2005, 12:04 AM
http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/8/6193/6193_1115683478_medium.jpg (http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/8/6193/6193_1115683478_large.jpg)

Almost ready for the final coloring.
I blocked in the base of the background skyline, will start detailing it first thing tomorrow.
I know the shadow on the grass is a little of, will get it right tomorrow also, but you get the basic idea.
I'm planning on putting in more space/aircrafts in the background, but I'm wondering if it would make the background to crowded and take the viewers attention away from the foreground composition to much, ah well I will see when I get to that.
Cheers everybody

Rudeone
05-10-2005, 01:46 PM
http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/8/6193/6193_1115732764_medium.jpg (http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/8/6193/6193_1115732764_large.jpg)

Okay, so the city skyline suddenly wasn't working for me, so I changed the whole background into a rocky environment. I'm thinking of putting some houses on some of the rocks and have landing platforms for the residents skycars attached to the rocks.
What do you guys think? is the latest update working for you, or did you like the previous better?

xric7
05-11-2005, 08:51 AM
very beautiful piece!:bounce:
love ur characters and story.:thumbsup:
for my opinion i think i pick the latest update but add the cityscape blury and smaller from the previous piece for background.
good luck to u.:)

Rudeone
05-11-2005, 12:17 PM
Hey thanx xric7, a blurry cityscape in the back huh, it could work I guess, will try it, thanx for that suggestion:thumbsup:

good luck to you too

Rudeone
05-12-2005, 12:31 AM
http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/8/6193/6193_1115857884_medium.jpg (http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/8/6193/6193_1115857884_large.jpg)

Another little raskal joined the party armed with a crossbow shooting sucker arrows at poor old robot, thought it might be cool to use that idea of sucker arrows stuck on the robot that was suggested in this thread earlier.
I painted a house and a landing platform in the background.
I'm thinking of taking the shape of the skyline and turn it into mountains with cities carfed out of it or something like that.

Ilikesoup
05-12-2005, 03:46 AM
Very nice! I like how this looks more like a formal play area or park. The ground looks more level now -- it looked like they were on a hill before. I love the cloud on the right, but the left one is a bit unusual with its vertical ridges. Perhaps if you replaced it with a few smaller clouds in the distance it would give the sky a nice open area for more airships.

Anyway, it's looking really well done.

SoniaNotRed
05-12-2005, 10:04 PM
It's so cute!! :love:

And this Bg really works better.

Rudeone
05-13-2005, 12:30 AM
http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/8/6193/6193_1115944211_medium.jpg (http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/8/6193/6193_1115944211_large.jpg)

Thanx for the comments guys.

I removed the left cloud like Ilikesoup suggested, instead of it I painted a planet to fill the emptyness. My vision is to blurred right now, so I could use some fresh pair of eyes on this one, does the planet look cool or does it suck big time? Should I stick with this and maybe retouch it a little or should I drop the planet? Feedback would be highly appreciated, any crit or comment on anything else also very welcome, thanx

punklover
05-13-2005, 12:50 AM
really good concept , i like the design of the robot ,and the flying car remind of the 5th element ,good luck:)

Rudeone
05-13-2005, 01:29 PM
http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/8/6193/6193_1115990938_medium.jpg (http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/8/6193/6193_1115990938_large.jpg)

Everthing is basicly finished, it still needs some final details and some retouching on some things.
I dropped the planet cause when I saw it again this morning, it didn't look right at all.
I'm wondering if I should paint something in the upper left corner, maybe a hotair balloon or a flying schoolbus or something, or maybe I should leave it like this.
I will retouch the cities in the mountains cause it isn't working for me like this.
Allright, all I need is a day or maybe two to finish

userBrian
05-14-2005, 04:58 AM
A fun image, maybe you could have the robot serving the tea from a tray. Or since the robot is bigger, holding a rag doll like it was the robots baby, to further the humiliation.

Rudeone
05-14-2005, 11:47 AM
punklover: Hey thanx man, funny you should mention the fift element cause I actually had that movie in mind when I painted the car. I wanted to do something different than the standard Star Wars-like speeder skycars and tought it might be fun to paint a flying oldtimer, I'm thinking of painting a flying schoolbus in the upper left corner, whadaya think?

userBrian: Thanx, funny suggestions man, but I'll stick with this cause I kinda like the big bot holding a cup of tea and the deadline is getting really close now so I won't be making big changes, if this was suggested earlier I would defenitly give it a go

SoniaNotRed
05-14-2005, 08:23 PM
Just put some faraway clouds. The planet did look weird.

Rudeone
05-15-2005, 04:35 PM
Thanx for that input Sonia, I needed someone to confirm it did look weird:thumbsup: , so far away clouds it will be

Rudeone
05-17-2005, 01:22 AM
http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/8/6193/6193_1116292952_medium.jpg (http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/8/6193/6193_1116292952_large.jpg)

I made some changes in the clothing of little snobby girl, turned teddy in robo teddy and added another robo teddy playing with some butterflies.
I still needed to detail the crossbow of the little guy in the back and after I did and zoomed out I found out it wasen't pointing at the big robot. Because I didn't want to paint it all over again I had to come up with something in the left corner the boy could point his crossbow at. A couple of things crossed my mind like a gardening mom, but I figured adding a grown-up would take some of the magic away. I figured the most obvious, yet fun idea to go with was a big dog. He had to look a little stupid, kinda like scooby doo, so I searched for some scooby doo pics and this is what came out of it. I'm really happy with how this is turning out and IMO adding the dog and the new robo teddy was the right thing to do, I hope y'all like it.

rwitzsche
05-17-2005, 01:27 AM
Wow, good work! Good luck to you! I like the robot!

ms@zx
05-17-2005, 02:03 AM
u have a very cheerful piece here.good luck in ur finals!:thumbsup:

Odysseus-art
05-17-2005, 07:58 PM
Nice colors and technique.But I feel that master & servant is not the primary subject of the image.:shrug: Sorry!
Anyway it is just my opinion, I wish it will prove to be wrong, so good luck!!! :)

Please see MY MASTER & SERVANT (The concept is FEAR.Fear dominates our lives since the beginning of our existence on earth.He pushed us to research and evolution.However he encarnates death, pain, caducity, insects, etc, things that are beyond our commutability, and we even avoid to think of them.When such a thought dominates our mind, the relationship of master and servant between fear and us human beings is undoubtable.)

Rudeone
05-18-2005, 12:15 AM
http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/8/6193/6193_1116375354_medium.jpg (http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/8/6193/6193_1116375354_large.jpg)

Although I could go on and on adjusting small things and adding tiny details, there comes a point when you need to quit, I just got to that point.
I present to you my final image.
I'm quite satisfied with how it turned out, especially because I normally never paint these subjects with a high cuteness factor, although before the challenge I started a painting of Mad Hatter's tea party from Alice in wonderland (also a tea party, go figure).

I had a lot of fun during the challenge and I learned so much.
I'm allready looking forward to the next challenge, but for now I can finally catch up some sleep.

Anyways, I hope y'all like it, cheers everybody!

Rudeone
05-18-2005, 10:15 PM
http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/8/6193/6193_1116454533_medium.jpg (http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/8/6193/6193_1116454533_large.jpg)

Yesterday I allready posted my final image, but when I looked at it this morning I wasn\\\'t happy about certain parts, so I decided to work on it somemore since there\\\'s still some time left.

I didn\\\'t change a lot, just added some subtle details and retouched some parts.

I forgot to explain the piece in my last post so here goes: The year is 2205 A.D. On a nice sunny day a bunch of kids are playing in their backyard on an alien planet humans colonised some time ago. Two girls are dressed up like some proper ladies because they are having a tea party this afternoon. They demanded that their parents old retired worker robot joined in on the party. He really doesn\\\'t like to join, but he has to cause he\\\'s programmed to obbey humans, even little girls.
The girl on the left (clearly the snobby girl)is getting angry at the other kids who want to play with the robot cause they are ruining her tea party and she\\\'s yelling at the robot cause he doesn\\\'t want to drink his tea cause he\\\'s affraid he will start to rust from the inside if fluids entered his body. The tea cups are offcource empty cause they\\\'re just pretending, but how should the robot know that, he never took part in a tea party.

snobby girl:\\\"GO AWAY! you\\\'re ruining my tea party!\\\"
girl on knee: \\\"Mom said we could play with xp98uyt6765\\\"
snobby girl: \\\"Well I don\\\'t care, GO AWAY!...xp drink your tea!\\\"
xp: \\\"but..master..I..will..start..to..rust..if..liquids..enter..my..body\\\"
snobby girl: \\\"there\\\'s no reeeeal tea in it you idiot! we\\\'re pretending, NOW DRINK!\\\"
xp: \\\"yes..master\\\"
snobby girl: \\\"and stop calling me master, call me...Lady Luna\\\"
xp: \\\"yes..master..I..mean..Lady..Luna\\\"

enjoy, cheers

Rudeone
05-18-2005, 10:17 PM
Here are some details

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v300/rudeone/teapartydetails.jpg

sgtpepper
05-19-2005, 09:49 PM
congratz on your final picture, its very nice ! :)

gl in the challenge!!!:thumbsup:

Slav
05-19-2005, 10:19 PM
that is one werid image... reminds me of those 64 color images from way back when... great work & good luck

never mind.. it loaded wrong. its fixed now that i viewed the larger image.

punklover
05-19-2005, 10:22 PM
nice party !! can i join it ? seriousely you did a very good job ,good luck:thumbsup:

THECLYKE
05-19-2005, 11:23 PM
Cool Man....good Luck

Ilikesoup
05-20-2005, 07:26 PM
You mentioned that you don't usually draw children, but there's a terrific childishness to this picture. All these kids look like they need to be grounded. :) Very nice work.

Rudeone
05-21-2005, 01:36 AM
Thank you all for your kind words and support during my process, big thanx to all of those who watched and followed this thread:)

This was the first challenge I took part in and it was a great experience for me, I had a lot of fun and I feel that I definitly improved my skills during the challenge. I really enjoyed watching a lot of great pieces being created, very inspiring, allready looking forward for the next challenge.
For those interested, I will post a higher res image early next week (not at home during the weekend) in the finished gallery, so keep an eye out for it if you like.

cheers!

xric7
05-21-2005, 01:49 AM
hi Rudeone,
excellent work.
congratulation.good luck.:bounce: :buttrock: :thumbsup: :applause:

TheFirstAngel
05-21-2005, 04:39 PM
you always rocked, sorry for not writing earlier, i really love the way you did it, i digged your style from the moment i found it and i love how you brought your piece to this great result! congratulations and best of luck on the finals! u rock!!!:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

CGTalk Moderation
05-21-2005, 04:39 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.